New Beta Sub-forum idea...Off-Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

a) & b) Great, so where have you been lately? Where are all your fun and exciting threads that make the forum worthwhile? I have not been in Beta since the start, i joined almost a full month after it opened. I do post replies in threads (doing nothing huh?) but I don't start major threads because i get Phalanx flamed, nobody from your 'active people' wants to hear about us. Trolls like yourself stop others from posting because you create a hostile and uninviting atmosphere. People don't want to post because they don't want to argue.
c) Mods are the lifeguards of the forum, here to make sure everyone plays nice. Does that mean we are the poster people for the forum?
You are not asking for a new forum. You are asking for a duplicate that is not necessary.

Chocolate is not necessary, but I friggin' love eating chocolate and if there were duplicates, all the better! And lately? I'm no longer really involved in Beta at a level where I feel I can bring an interesting thread to Beta myself. Though when I see Beta's current most actives asking for something and the mods giving every argument in the book against it, I will add my two cents. Sure I troll sometimes, but never when something is well thought out or where it is an issue of actual merit. I don't know if you can see my posts in this thread without your bias cap on but I think I have posted well articulated and thought out posts which do bring up valuable points. I do not think you have given any of them a slight bit of chance and decided to attack me personally as a player instead of respond to my points like Tyrion and Devils did. I do have a problem with how you have gone about this, the others have taken it well and have actually brought some more sound reasoning to the table. You go on about your lifeguards and how I don't post threads in Beta. Most of what you have done is attack me about my "hypocrisy" so I, as always, will respond in kind. If you do not like me personally, fine, join the club, but do not take it out on Beta.

@phoenixavier: I was not being technical. I was being general using a real world example. As Sapphire pointed out earlier using her amazing deduction skills (like, I do not think I can get anything past her), the Beta forums is not a shop. I was just using it as an example to point out the fact that though we don't pay for it directly, the people posting on the Beta forums are your "customers".

@Devils: You know how Facebook became big and beat all competition? It did so by giving the customers what they wanted hence bringing a critical mass which meant people posted on it. Though I do see where you are coming from. I think if Tyrion's suggestion was brought to life it could pump some new air into the Beta forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Facebook became big because, they would show advertisements related to what they like.They found out what people like when they fill out thier favourite activites and music etc.Whenever an advertisement is clicked on, Facebook get paid some money.

DeletedUser

Facebook became big because, they would show advertisements related to what they like.They found out what people like when they fill out thier favourite activites and music etc.Whenever an advertisement is clicked on, Facebook get paid some money.

That's how they started becoming profitable. Facebook for a long time had a huge audience but was hardly bringing any cash-flow in. It was a problem that plagued them for a good few years. They became big because they had a clean layout and gave the users what they wanted, then to monetize this huge user base, it brought in "social" advertisement and other initiatives that circulated around the social aspect of advertising. Trust me, I am a tech geek and follow larger companies such as Facebook, their whole method has largely disrupted the way in which my favourite company (Google), goes about their business and because of them companies have shifted their strategies. If you wish to debate further on this off-topic point do so with me via messages, but I can assure you I am well researched on this topic.

DeletedUser

That's how they started becoming profitable. Facebook for a long time had a huge audience but was hardly bringing any cash-flow in. It was a problem that plagued them for a good few years. They became big because they had a clean layout and gave the users what they wanted, then to monetize this huge user base, it brought in "social" advertisement and other initiatives that circulated around the social aspect of advertising. Trust me, I am a tech geek and follow larger companies such as Facebook, their whole method has largely disrupted the way in which my favourite company (Google), goes about their business and because of them companies have shifted their strategies. If you wish to debate further on this off-topic point do so with me via messages, but I can assure you I am well researched on this topic.

Fine, pm me.

DeletedUser13405

This is turning into a much too heated debate and in the end a "Beta Off-Topic" forum will not be created.

May I suggest that you create a Beta group, where you can all talk more personal off-topic talk there. (Music, Books, Films, etc) If you already have one, then invite everyone. That is the best solution I have come across so far. I also hear you have started up a Skype group a while ago, which again, I think is a fantastic idea and you guys should try to get as involved as possible.
If someone gives me the details of the Skype group/Forum group I can make a thread and sticky it so that people can find it easier, and also explain how to get into the group(s).

I just feel that at the moment everyone is asking for something that's way out of our control. Take a step back and think about it.
--You all have a specific forum where you can discuss anything to do with the in-game world, anything. It could be as insignificant as a "I got this funny message PnP" or "Look at this great attack I defended", but I never see them.
--A lot of these kind of games won't have a forum that's as friendly and as easy to access as this one. We do provide a great atmosphere for posters, whether you think so or not.
--The majority of the time, it's the players that create the desire to post again, not the moderators. Normally the mods are the Evil ones that shut down posts, and you guys are asking us to be Heros and make everything better for you. For example, I don't go back to Facebook everytime because I love the colours and the layout, I go back because I like seeing what my friends have posted. It should be the same here, returning to the Beta forum because you want to see what other people have posted, not because there's an Off-Topic section available to you.

Overall guys, I am extremely lenient with what I let go, I wasn't being bias, other mods have said it too. I feel you need to appreciate what you already have and make the most of it before coming to us with more demands, because at the moment, you aren't posting enough or being exciting enough to make us want to give you another section.

The best way to prove to us that you really, really want this sub-section, is to show us how you can make new topics, create new ideas, and make Beta an exciting place.

Would it be possible to try an innocuous off topic thread or two in the main forum? All of the OT threads can be marked "OT." If it turns into a spam/flame fest, we can shut the idea down. But why not at least give it a shot with topics such as NHL/NBA playoffs, favorite music or what are u drinking tonight?

DeletedUser

Would it be possible to try an innocuous off topic thread or two in the main forum? All of the OT threads can be marked "OT." If it turns into a spam/flame fest, we can shut the idea down. But why not at least give it a shot with topics such as NHL/NBA playoffs, favorite music or what are u drinking tonight?

It simply won't work if it's posted in Beta. I'm sorry but that's the conclusion the mods came to.

Closing topic as there seems to be some new life in beta and this is pretty much a done argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.