New Beta Sub-forum idea...Off-Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

So what's happening with the new sub forum then? I would love a place where threads don't get locked for being off-topic/not having a "relevant" topic. Give Beta some proper freedom of speech as long as it non-offensive. I'm all for a sub-forum with a more relaxed intent.

Also, Samp, us "has beens" still rule this world and are still around for a reason. Not our problem you weren't in Beta for the glory days. How about you do something to make Beta re-live those days? Though I agree on your position in regards to these forums.

DeletedUser

So what's happening with the new sub forum then? I would love a place where threads don't get locked for being off-topic/not having a "relevant" topic. Give Beta some proper freedom of speech as long as it non-offensive. I'm all for a sub-forum with a more relaxed intent.

As soon as Samp started a similar argument to what you have done in the past I knew you'd be happy :p :D

I am currently talking to my fellow mods to see if this idea is legit. Please be patient while things are discussed and decided.

DeletedUser

im pretty sure if that happens , main forums might as well go too , cause who wouldnt join the sub forums with such 'freedom'?

DeletedUser

As soon as Samp started a similar argument to what you have done in the past I knew you'd be happy :p :D

I am currently talking to my fellow mods to see if this idea is legit. Please be patient while things are discussed and decided.

Heh, I was haha :p

I let this thread go a while un-tampered by me for a while to give my two cents :)

Glad to hear some progress. Hopefully Beta can be livened up by this

DeletedUser

Beta does need just some idle conversation. The forums been dead for quite some time now.

DeletedUser

What it needs is posters to pull their fingers out and post some worthwhile stuff :) It's not really up to Devils to make our forum more exciting, it's up to us and if we are too lazy to do that then we can't really complain about the results of our 'work' and i use that term in the loosest way.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

What it needs is posters to pull their fingers out and post some worthwhile stuff :) It's not really up to Devils to make our forum more exciting, it's up to us and if we are too lazy to do that then we can't really complain about the results of our 'work' and i use that in the loosest way.

This is pretty much the conclusion all the mods came to everyone. It would be extremely difficult to moderate and manage an Off-Topic section without things getting horrifically out-of-hand in terms of infractions and spam.

I'd love to see more PnPs, more wars stats topics, more alliance-bickering issue topics. it would brighten up Beta and as long as it is War-Banter and not personal insults then I'd enjoy seeing it here. Let your creative juices flow!

If anyone does have anyone other legitimate ideas for a sub-section though, please message me.

DeletedUser13405

Too bad. And I guess there is no way to permit off-topic type discussions in the main Beta forum either right?

DeletedUser

Too bad. And I guess there is no way to permit off-topic type discussions in the main Beta forum either right?

Not really, to an extent I've allowed it for a while but I think the mods are right, I'm only doing the right thing and at the end of the day if it makes Beta "boring", so be it, it's not my fault, it's down to you guys to make this a fun forum :p

DeletedUser

Never blame the customers for bad business. It's the business that must adapt to the customers.

Disclaimer: There is no attacks meant by this post, just dropping some knowledge.

DeletedUser

Good point eGOD.

I used to roam through these forums daily. I was even offered Mod status, but i declined. Its a good thing i did haha because i am became less active. Revisiting these forums now, i see that the Beta forum is a ghost town. We need to restore it. Get some new business in here and start the money making (posting). Oh, and btw Devil, that is a great song, i just listened to it for the first time.

I don't have too many suggestions for this place, but we need to get it going.

DeletedUser

Never blame the customers for bad business. It's the business that must adapt to the customers.

This isn't a store, just saying.

It's a community forum. It therefore needs community to keep it alive. There is already an off topic arena, a second one is not necessary and i think a lot of you forget that Devils is a volunteer here to make sure things stay friendly and within the rules.

It's up to us, as posters and players of Beta to bring this to life. Devils doesn't play in game so the only way he will know what is happening is if someone tells him.

DeletedUser

Alright, so then should we have a current News topic that is spam-free?

DeletedUser

That would work. Even just a new PnP. Something other than the usual dribble that always seems to end up with extra spam. Spam kills, we've all seen the results.

DeletedUser

This isn't a store, just saying.

It's a community forum. It therefore needs community to keep it alive. There is already an off topic arena, a second one is not necessary and i think a lot of you forget that Devils is a volunteer here to make sure things stay friendly and within the rules.

It's up to us, as posters and players of Beta to bring this to life. Devils doesn't play in game so the only way he will know what is happening is if someone tells him.

WHAT!? This isn't a store?! ...

I was using an example to raise a point. It's often done in this fashion, looking at a similar and easy to understand situation, and using this as a model to relay an idea.

You say: "It's a community forum. It therefore needs community to keep it alive." Well then let's use another example since you pointed out the huge flaw that the Grepolis forums, is in fact, not a shop. I will make an example that comes from my field (Computer Scientist/Web Developer), if you want people to come to your website, you must give them a reason to go there.

It's up to the people appointed to run the Beta community to make it worth while for those who wouldn't usually visit the forums to get in here. The ones that are on the forums have not a lot to post as we are mainly from the larger alliances involved in the same old war that has been going on for months. I still do not see the reasons to turn any idea that could possibly drum up some activity down.

Now I would like to point out I am not trying to attack mods/Devils here. I am merely stating my views on what could inspire more activity on these old dead forums. And I know that more "Rate the player" threads is not the key. Nor is asking people to post news where there is none.

DeletedUser

You say there isn't news, but there is. There is more than one fight going on and it's not just the same old alliances. Every time someone new tries to post about their alliance they are shot down by trolls or told their conflict is not as important.
I know you are not attacking mods, but you need to understand what they are here for. They are not the teacher taking the kids to the pool, they are the lifeguards looking after them. It's not up to the lifeguards to tell the kids to come to the pool, nor to give them swimming togs. Quite often things are made available but it's not their job. They are there to make sure people don't get bullied, or hurt.
See it's people like swim instructors who have blow up swim gear and such which makes the pool more fun. The people who are senior, have been around the pool longer and want to keep kids interested.
Do you get my point? It's not the mods who have to make the forum interesting, it's the people who post in it.

DeletedUser4013

WHAT!? This isn't a store?! ...

I was using an example to raise a point. It's often done in this fashion, looking at a similar and easy to understand situation, and using this as a model to relay an idea.

You say: "It's a community forum. It therefore needs community to keep it alive." Well then let's use another example since you pointed out the huge flaw that the Grepolis forums, is in fact, not a shop. I will make an example that comes from my field (Computer Scientist/Web Developer), if you want people to come to your website, you must give them a reason to go there.

It's up to the people appointed to run the Beta community to make it worth while for those who wouldn't usually visit the forums to get in here. The ones that are on the forums have not a lot to post as we are mainly from the larger alliances involved in the same old war that has been going on for months. I still do not see the reasons to turn any idea that could possibly drum up some activity down.

Now I would like to point out I am not trying to attack mods/Devils here. I am merely stating my views on what could inspire more activity on these old dead forums. And I know that more "Rate the player" threads is not the key. Nor is asking people to post news where there is none.

eGOD - While it may be in the interests of InnoGames to keep the Beta Forum alive and kicking, it is not their place to constantly push the Beta Community into posting new threads, ideas, topics, comments, etc. This Community is meant to be self-sustaining to an extent. However, there can be times such as right now when that doesn't work. Currently the majority of the players are either in Uni, or taking their final exams for school. Due to that, many players likely have little time to come onto the Forums and take part in the discussions.

We have tried to liven up this part of the Forum before with the King of the Hill competition, but it was found that running an in-game competition like that was de-stabilizing the server. Perhaps if we can find a way to do that again and safely, then we could do that. The problem that Beta is facing is not unique to Beta. Alpha and some of the other older worlds have the same problem. The players want new and better, and so Inno constantly looks to provide this. This may come in the form of new worlds, implemented ideas, gods, and even a new UI with Grepo 2.0. Essentially, as soon as something new comes around, the vast majority of players will jump ship and join the new worlds and let the other worlds they play in languish in decline. This is represented by the Forum activity quite clearly, and despite what we may do, it will happen again and again.

So I repeat what Devils and Sapphire have been saying: If you want more activity YOU must create it. There is only so much that we can do on our end. We are more than willing to listen to any ideas you may have for the creation of sub-forums for Beta. I suggest that maybe something to do with a Wall of Honour sub-forum where the great players of Beta (past and present) can be put into a sort of Hall of Fame. Beta has seen and created its fair share of great players in the time it has been around.

DeletedUser

Just to put a point out here as well; Sapphire and Tyrion are both Beta posters, they've been around a long time and have seen this forum through it's ups and downs, so they aren't being bias on any account.
They want it to be as good as it can be, and out of all the other mods advice theirs was the most relevant in mine, and others, decisions into how we go about this.
Remember, they're also part of your group.

Status
Not open for further replies.