New Beta Sub-forum idea...Off-Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Devils, they also have the bias of being mods. Tyrion is hardly active, Niv is in-charge, and Sapphire hardly posts any Phalanx news (has never started a topic in Beta though being a leader of a top alliance), so is quite hypocritical.

Tyrion, you raise a good point about the timing. But if the few active players in Beta show interest in this, why say no to these loyal members? Obviously a vast majority of the active posters would like a sub forum of some sorts. Why say no to these few who find entertainment to these forums? I would also say that something along the lines of "king of the hill" would be awesome. ML didn't really get to compete in the last one because it was two oceans away :/

Sapphire, I don't think there is much new being posted at all. I mean, in the last month or so there's been three ego-fueled posts by Milonius, a post about a top member in someone's alliance restarting, an "I don't know structure or grammar" take over Grepolis post, and a player QQing over the fact that he got attacked on valentines day by a superior player in a battle he was already losing. If there was news out there, why wasn't it posted? Perhaps making the forums more lively and up-dated would bring the people with some actual news forward to a more lively audience. I mean, why not try this out?

Anyway, I don't want to get too into this argument. I just would like you to see it from this point of view before making your decision. I myself am leaving soon but wish the best for Beta. It's been my favourite world and I don't want it to die out.

DeletedUser

eGOD, you haven't got the point at all. But thanks for posting and keeping this topic alive at least.

Y'know, YOU could start a new thread thats involved with Beta. Maybe YOU could step up.

DeletedUser

If there was news out there, why wasn't it posted? Perhaps making the forums more lively and up-dated would bring the people with some actual news forward to a more lively audience. I mean, why not try this out?

This would have to be done by the players, as I can't play. We had 1 really Beta news issue and then it died. We need someone to take up the commitment.

They will be bias on most accounts, as of course they're mods but at the same time I'm sure they'd love to see something exciting come to Beta

Lugosi

Strategos
I would make a war art propaganda thread but lets face it, it would only be me putting art on there; maybe saph or wayne but still pointless. To be fair we need to drum up forum popularity in-game. Would a mass-mail to beta players advertising the forum be out of the question?

DeletedUser

I would make a war art propaganda thread but lets face it, it would only be me putting art on there; maybe saph or wayne but still pointless. To be fair we need to drum up forum popularity in-game. Would a mass-mail to beta players advertising the forum be out of the question?

Justin, ive got an idea for an epic PnP and to get some attacks of off phenos back.

DeletedUser4013

Devils, they also have the bias of being mods. Tyrion is hardly active, Niv is in-charge...

Tyrion, you raise a good point about the timing. But if the few active players in Beta show interest in this, why say no to these loyal members? Obviously a vast majority of the active posters would like a sub forum of some sorts. Why say no to these few who find entertainment to these forums? I would also say that something along the lines of "king of the hill" would be awesome. ML didn't really get to compete in the last one because it was two oceans away :/

Anyway, I don't want to get too into this argument. I just would like you to see it from this point of view before making your decision. I myself am leaving soon but wish the best for Beta. It's been my favourite world and I don't want it to die out.

eGOD, I know you don't want to 'argue' over the idea, but I can see where this is coming from. If you like I will discuss with Ac04 and Gordo about the possibility of creating another KotH event for Beta with the possibility of having 4 cities located in the major sections of the ocean and not in the core. Depending on this, we can then set up a sub-forum for the event and people can post various info and attack reports and such in there.

I hope you don't quit, you're a great forum personality and it would be a shame to lose another :(

DeletedUser

I like Tyrions idea of a Hall of Fame! It sounds like some work and that's just what we need. We should pick out the best players who were in Beta who no longer are. Use Grepostats for it if you need help.

Current News? I got current News.
Cobblemix's cities have recently been revamped with state-of-the-art stones, imported directly from the quarries of Sparta. hahahaha :D

DeletedUser

eGOD, you haven't got the point at all. But thanks for posting and keeping this topic alive at least.

Y'know, YOU could start a new thread thats involved with Beta. Maybe YOU could step up.
Umm... I think it is you who has not gotten the point. I want the mods to make an environment where players may want to post more is all.

And you say I should step up? Go to World Beta forums, click so the the threads are ordered by most replies. In the top 10 threads of Beta history, I started 3 of those (one being the thread with the most posts) and another I helped write and am one of the top contributors to (The ML DOW one). The results are similar if ordered by views. I have done a lot for Beta Forums and am in fact writing another thread to be released upon my quitting. So lay off trying to marginalize my efforts and use that as a counter point. Please.

This would have to be done by the players, as I can't play. We had 1 really Beta news issue and then it died. We need someone to take up the commitment.

They will be bias on most accounts, as of course they're mods but at the same time I'm sure they'd love to see something exciting come to Beta
Which is why I'm perplexed as to why they say no to something a clear majority of active players want?

As for the news, it seems to be a big commitment and I do not know if that should come down upon one person. I think everyone should post their own news, it's just not fun posting news to a nearly non-existent crowd.

eGOD, I know you don't want to 'argue' over the idea, but I can see where this is coming from. If you like I will discuss with Ac04 and Gordo about the possibility of creating another KotH event for Beta with the possibility of having 4 cities located in the major sections of the ocean and not in the core. Depending on this, we can then set up a sub-forum for the event and people can post various info and attack reports and such in there.

I hope you don't quit, you're a great forum personality and it would be a shame to lose another :(
I like this idea and do believe it would be a good thing for Beta. A definite compromise to this whole issue in my opinion.

Sadly I am leaving Beta/Grepolis. A few months back I stepped down as leader of ML and after a short stint on Sigma am now feeding my cities off slowly to friends.

DeletedUser

eGOD said:
I want the mods to make an environment where players may want to post more is all.

see, this is how you are not getting the point. That is not the mods job. you are trying to make the lifeguards into something they are not.

posts in threads are not new threads, and lets be honest here how many of your replies to people have been rude/troll?

eGOD said:
Which is why I'm perplexed as to why they say no to something a clear majority of active players want?

There already is an off topic forum. It's huge. Full of spam. I'm sure you've found it before.

What you still fail to get is that it's up to the posters. As our Mod Devils has no idea what actually happens in Beta. How about someone stops being Lazy and writes up the story of Beta's biggest moments, as they remember it? Someone who's been here since almost the start?

*HINT HINT*

DeletedUser

i want another koth
i wasnt able to participate in the last one

DeletedUser4013

Well in terms of the KotH I have brought the idea up with the powers-that-be. I am waiting to hear back from them. However, the idea of the Hall of Fame should be a good way to start things up again.

DeletedUser

see, this is how you are not getting the point. That is not the mods job. you are trying to make the lifeguards into something they are not.

posts in threads are not new threads, and lets be honest here how many of your replies to people have been rude/troll?

There already is an off topic forum. It's huge. Full of spam. I'm sure you've found it before.

What you still fail to get is that it's up to the posters. As our Mod Devils has no idea what actually happens in Beta. How about someone stops being Lazy and writes up the story of Beta's biggest moments, as they remember it? Someone who's been here since almost the start?

*HINT HINT*

A) I've been here since the start.
B) I have started some of the most talked about threads in Beta so lay off the personal attacks on me, I am doing fine for Beta, you however, a leader of a major alliance, has done nothing. I do not see any major threads started by you. What are your views? You have been here near the start have you not?
C) You keep saying mods are life guards.. but they also are the ones who have the power to crate an atmosphere to please the community. They are the representative of the forums are they not? Or are you just saying us normal members are not allowed to ask for any new forums. To "deal with it"? Because that stance is not very open minded imo.

DeletedUser

a) & b) Great, so where have you been lately? Where are all your fun and exciting threads that make the forum worthwhile? I have not been in Beta since the start, i joined almost a full month after it opened. I do post replies in threads (doing nothing huh?) but I don't start major threads because i get Phalanx flamed, nobody from your 'active people' wants to hear about us. Trolls like yourself stop others from posting because you create a hostile and uninviting atmosphere. People don't want to post because they don't want to argue.
c) Mods are the lifeguards of the forum, here to make sure everyone plays nice. Does that mean we are the poster people for the forum?
You are not asking for a new forum. You are asking for a duplicate that is not necessary.

DeletedUser

a) & b) Great, so where have you been lately? Where are all your fun and exciting threads that make the forum worthwhile? I have not been in Beta since the start, i joined almost a full month after it opened. I do post replies in threads (doing nothing huh?) but I don't start major threads because i get Phalanx flamed, nobody from your 'active people' wants to hear about us. Trolls like yourself stop others from posting because you create a hostile and uninviting atmosphere. People don't want to post because they don't want to argue.
c) Mods are the lifeguards of the forum, here to make sure everyone plays nice. Does that mean we are the poster people for the forum?
You are not asking for a new forum. You are asking for a duplicate that is not necessary.

but we like to have off topic chats
thats why a duplicate may be necessary

DeletedUser

Nope. There's already a place for that. So no duplicate, only people following forum guidelines and perhaps being a little more creative with the world of Beta. It's not Devils' fault that posters are not posting. He can't force them. He doesn't know what's going on in game either so it's not like he can start PnPs and discussion threads for us.
Devils gets hate mail every time he shuts you guys down but he's a lot more lenient towards spam than other mods. You really have no idea how lucky you are and you should treat him better.
And instead of complaining and whining and asking for stuff you don't need, how about you get productive and help yourselves?

DeletedUser

(my reply is only in response to this page and a couple past responses)
being the mod of kappa, me and devils have alot in common in reference to having a dead forum. although im not a beta player, this sort of thing could have easily happened to me on my forums so i would like to voice my opinion (if its alright).
Never blame the customers for bad business. It's the business that must adapt to the customers.
this is indeed correct, but if u want to be technical everything in the public forum is free, u do not buy gold to put up a sig or buy gold to create a group. wat is paid for are things ingame, and as far as that goes i do believe the devs are doing a fantastic job with 2.0 and all to come.

also i have created threads in kappa (being the mod) opening discussions of the top 15 alliances and have had to update them myself from grepo-stats. if i played the world i would not mind, but i do not so its difficult to do much of anything. if beta posters (or any posters of that matter) are worried about discussions and what have u on world forums, they should encourage more players in-game to visit the public forums. example: ive led alliances in gamma, mu and nu and now am a leader in upsilon, and i always post something similar to this in a thread called Help
Post anything here that ur not understanding and post questions as well. Also create an account Grepo Forum and post ur questions here.

lastly a couple arguments toward not allowing (im not saying there were no arguments on why there should be, just there were more for not allowing it) a world its own off-topic section were:
1) "I also wouldn't call it 'Off Topic' because then all worlds will want one, and not every mod is going to want to have to moderate their own off topic section"
2) "the reason for individual world forums are so that it is kept to only a # of players posting. opening a spam fest in Beta (or any other world) will not only attract that worlds players but all the spammers that spam the original Off-Topic section."
3) "to be honest if they want to get to know eachother they should make a beta world group they can talk about watever they want [within the rules] and wont have to worry bout being told they are not able to post 'whats ur favorite color' "

(if the above quotes arent allowed to be pasted, due to it being a mod discussion, then i will delete them just let me know) :)

DeletedUser13405

Nope. There's already a place for that. So no duplicate, only people following forum guidelines and perhaps being a little more creative with the world of Beta.

No there's not. There is a general off-topic section for all of the players of Grepo. Thats different than a get to know you and other discussions for Beta players which was the original request.

DeletedUser

The request was for an off topic forum. We have an off topic forum.

DeletedUser

This is turning into a much too heated debate and in the end a "Beta Off-Topic" forum will not be created.

May I suggest that you create a Beta group, where you can all talk more personal off-topic talk there. (Music, Books, Films, etc) If you already have one, then invite everyone. That is the best solution I have come across so far. I also hear you have started up a Skype group a while ago, which again, I think is a fantastic idea and you guys should try to get as involved as possible.
If someone gives me the details of the Skype group/Forum group I can make a thread and sticky it so that people can find it easier, and also explain how to get into the group(s).

I just feel that at the moment everyone is asking for something that's way out of our control. Take a step back and think about it.
--You all have a specific forum where you can discuss anything to do with the in-game world, anything. It could be as insignificant as a "I got this funny message PnP" or "Look at this great attack I defended", but I never see them.
--A lot of these kind of games won't have a forum that's as friendly and as easy to access as this one. We do provide a great atmosphere for posters, whether you think so or not.
--The majority of the time, it's the players that create the desire to post again, not the moderators. Normally the mods are the Evil ones that shut down posts, and you guys are asking us to be Heros and make everything better for you. For example, I don't go back to Facebook everytime because I love the colours and the layout, I go back because I like seeing what my friends have posted. It should be the same here, returning to the Beta forum because you want to see what other people have posted, not because there's an Off-Topic section available to you.

Overall guys, I am extremely lenient with what I let go, I wasn't being bias, other mods have said it too. I feel you need to appreciate what you already have and make the most of it before coming to us with more demands, because at the moment, you aren't posting enough or being exciting enough to make us want to give you another section.

The best way to prove to us that you really, really want this sub-section, is to show us how you can make new topics, create new ideas, and make Beta an exciting place.

DeletedUser

This is turning into a much too heated debate and in the end a "Beta Off-Topic" forum will not be created.

May I suggest that you create a Beta group, where you can all talk more personal off-topic talk there. (Music, Books, Films, etc) If you already have one, then invite everyone. That is the best solution I have come across so far. I also hear you have started up a Skype group a while ago, which again, I think is a fantastic idea and you guys should try to get as involved as possible.
If someone gives me the details of the Skype group/Forum group I can make a thread and sticky it so that people can find it easier, and also explain how to get into the group(s).

I just feel that at the moment everyone is asking for something that's way out of our control. Take a step back and think about it.
--You all have a specific forum where you can discuss anything to do with the in-game world, anything. It could be as insignificant as a "I got this funny message PnP" or "Look at this great attack I defended", but I never see them.
--A lot of these kind of games won't have a forum that's as friendly and as easy to access as this one. We do provide a great atmosphere for posters, whether you think so or not.
--The majority of the time, it's the players that create the desire to post again, not the moderators. Normally the mods are the Evil ones that shut down posts, and you guys are asking us to be Heros and make everything better for you. For example, I don't go back to Facebook everytime because I love the colours and the layout, I go back because I like seeing what my friends have posted. It should be the same here, returning to the Beta forum because you want to see what other people have posted, not because there's an Off-Topic section available to you.

Overall guys, I am extremely lenient with what I let go, I wasn't being bias, other mods have said it too. I feel you need to appreciate what you already have and make the most of it before coming to us with more demands, because at the moment, you aren't posting enough or being exciting enough to make us want to give you another section.

The best way to prove to us that you really, really want this sub-section, is to show us how you can make new topics, create new ideas, and make Beta an exciting place.

Well PoC are trying to break through O55, to cut Pheno in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.