New Gods

DeletedUser56668

I've had multiple ideas for gods. Grepolis has had the same five gods since it started, I was wondering if people could add more. Just some ideas.

Demeter (Goddess of Plenty)
Dionysus (God of Wine)
Aphrodite (Goddess of Love)
Hephaestus (God of the Forges)
Offensive UnitKarpoi: Tiny but fierce, these spirits of grain gleefully careen through the enemy farm and leave anyone they meet with thousands of sharp cuts. Sharp unit, weak against blunt units, strong against ranged units.Leopards: These startlingly intelligent cats sneak up on the enemy and rip them to shreds with their lethal claws. Sharp unit, weak against ranged units.Cupids: They're not very bright about the battles they march into, but they have impeccable aim. Flying unit, ranged offensive, especially vulnerable against sharp units.Hekatonkheires (The Hundred-Handed One): Hekatonkheires have a hundred hands, and can do everything at once. But even they get squashed under rocks. Blunt unit, vulnerable to other blunt units.
Defensive UnitDryads: Dryads are spirits of the trees, and fiercely defensive of their homeland. They melt out of the thick woods that surround your city and meet the enemy. Strong against ranged units, weak against sharp units.Satyrs: Satyrs are quick and can traverse any terrain. Their magic pipes make poisonous plants sprout from nothing, but never get within kicking range, either. Blunt unit, vulnerable against sharp unitsNereids: Don't be fooled by their delicate features, Nereids use the power of their homewaters to drown enemy invaders as they emerge from their boats. They're very vulnerable to sharp objects, but you've got to find them first.Telkhines: These seal dog looking things terrorize ships and scatter fleets like nothing else, and are especially effective in their home waters. Water unit.
SpellPersephone Returns: Persephone returns from the Underworld. Demeter is overjoyed. You see an increase in timber production by X% for X amount of time.Beware, Pirates: X% of incoming enemy force turn into dolphins and disappear.Siren call: X% of the fleet of ships wander off in search of the alluring voicesUnintended Gifts: Hephaestus gets frustrated with the material he's working on and tosses it off of Olympus. It lands at your feet. (gift of stone)
SpellVine Snare: The forest has plenty of brambles and ivy. Slows down enemy forces by X%Overflowing With Wine: Enemy workers slow their production by X%Primped and Pampered: Your workers are rested and well. Workers produce goods X% more for X amount of time.The Forges of Hephaestus: Swordsmen, hoplites, and chariots are trained X% faster
SpellMarches On Its Stomach: Your army is fed better. Attacking forces move X% faster for X amount of time.Madness of Dionysus: Dionysus drove the attackers into insanity. Attacking land units are X% less effective.Rise from the Sea: A chariot is gifted to the city.Armor Up: Offensive mythical units get 30 points added to their defense for X amount of time
SpellDemeter's Revenge: Persephone leaves for the Underworld once more. Enemy timber production decreases by X% for X amount of time.Bountiful Feast: No one throws a party like Dionysus. Workers increase their production of goods by X% for X amount of time.Pearls For Payment: Workers are motivated to build X% faster for X amount of timeSooty Skies: Pollution of passing cities sickens the enemy troops. Enemy troops move X% slower.

DeletedUser54192

Always good to see more ideas. Maybe if we get enough here on EN, the developers might look at some of them. Anyways, I'll try to give some constructive feedback, just to generate some discussion.

Mythical Units:
I can't really comment too much on the units in terms of balance as there aren't any statistics. It is nice to see mythical units that are fairly accurately associated with their respective gods, although I'm a little confused with the choice of Nereids (as they would naturally be associated with Poseidon). A flying unit with a ranged attack (Cupid) would be interesting, as it's the only flier type that we don't currently have. Given that attack-type-specific combat spells (i.e. Aim of the Huntress) don't boost mythical units with that attack type, I don't think it would be overpowered so long as the statistics were reasonable.

Spells:
A good variety of spells here with some interesting mechanics. However it's hard to comment on the balance of some of them without an idea of the percentage boost or favour cost.

Demeter:
  • Persephone's Return - Interesting to see a resource-type-specific version of Happiness. Given the high percentage increases that the Island Quest reward tokens were changed to (250% / 500% / 750%, if I remember correctly), this spell probably needs to have a low favour cost, or a relatively high percentage increase. (I also believe that Happiness is now significantly underpowered.)
  • Vine Snare - My opinion on this varies immensely depending on exactly how it works. If it targets a city and any commands sent from that city are X% slower for a set period of time, then that sounds interesting, although rather situational. If it targets an attack and increases the remaining travel time, then that's extremely overpowered: target a CS late in it's travel time, and you can separate it from all the anti-snipe attacks, making it much easier to snipe and wasting the effort from a potentially-large group of players, with nothing they can do about it. On Conquest worlds, it would be even more powerful as you could make the CS land after all the timed supports, thus making the enemy kill their own CS. (Amusing, but also ruins the entire concept of teamwork and timing attacks/defence.)
  • Marches on its Stomach - Improved Troop Movement in spell form. Interesting and useful, but probably needs to be a fairly small percentage if the boost stacks with the token.
  • Demeter's Revenge - A resource-type-specific version of Plague, which is already regarding as one of the least-worthwhile spells. If it had a high percentage and/or low cost, it could be worthwhile, but unlikely.
Dionysus:
  • Beware, Pirates - Assuming that 'disappear' means 'are destroyed', then it's the same as Zeus' Rage. If it was a different damage level with a similar damage/cost ratio, it could be fine. If it's similar values to Rage, it's probably just a copy-and-paste job. If it has a wildly different damage/cost ratio, the odds are that it will either be ignored (if worse value than Rage) or completely replace Rage (if better value than Rage).
  • Overflowing with Wine - Same mechanics as Plague (as previously mentioned, one of the weakest spells). Similar to my comments on the spell above, the effect/cost ratio is what will determine the usefulness of the spell more than anything else.
  • Madness of Dionysus - Desire, but limited to land units. Useful mechanic with all the attack boosts going around, and to force the attacker to use favour to purify if they'd like to re-add a combat-boosting spell to the attack. As with the above spells, the effect/cost ratio is crucial, as I'd say that Desire tends to be used more on OLU attacks than naval attacks anyways (although I may be wrong with that).
  • Bountiful Feast - Same mechanics as Happiness, by the look of it. Same as the above spells, the effect/cost ratio has to be carefully managed, and the effect shouldn't be the same as, or particularly close to, the existing spell.
Aphrodite:
  • Siren Call - Analysis depends on the interpretation of 'wander off'. If that means the naval units are destroyed, then it's the same mechanics as Sea Storm, in which case the existing comments about damage/cost ratios and absolute values work for this as well. If it means that the naval units just reappear in their home city unharmed, that's an interesting new mechanic, and would still serve the purpose of reducing the size of the incoming attack.
  • Primped and Pampered - The same mechanics as the proposed Bountiful Feast spell, and as the existing Happiness spell. Therefore my comments for Bountiful Feast apply perfectly here as well.
  • Rise from the Sea - This seems like a copy-and-paste of the existing Divine Sign spell (Zeus). Given that it's a single chariot, changing the favour cost would invalidate either the existing spell or the new one, and having the same favour cost would just mean having two gods with exactly the same spell. Therefore I'm not really a huge fan. If it were a different unit type, that would make it a bit better as a proposal.
  • Pearls for Payment - This sounds like a nice spell. Hopefully it would stack with Christopholus and the Efficient Architects tokens. Would this spell only affect constructions started during the spell (like Christopholus, and how Population Growth and Call of the Ocean work for recruitments), or on any constructions already queued (like the Efficient Architects token)
Hephaestus:
  • Unintended Gifts - The same mechanics as the existing spell Nature's Gift (Artemis), so my general comments about copy-and-paste mechanic spells apply here as well.
  • Forges of Hephaestus - A unit-specific recruitment-boosting spell certainly sounds interesting. Would it impact existing recruitments, or only new recruitments made after the spell has been cast? Given that it's limited to specific unit types, I would assume that the effect/cost ratio would be better than Population Growth?
  • Armour Up - The mythical units currently in the game aren't split into offensive and defensive (with some only really being good value because they are a hybrid), so that would take a bit of working out. Given that some of the offensive myth units are extremely weak defensively, even a spell to boost defence wouldn't entire most players to leave them in their city versus an incoming attack. The mythical unit that would gain the most from it would be Divine Envoys, due to their low population cost in comparison to other mythical units.
  • Sooty Skies - The mechanics are the same as your proposed Vine Snare spell (Demeter). So my general comments about copy-and-paste spells can be applied here as well.

Overall, good ideas! The effect/cost ratio is what would be the key detail for knowing the worth of most of these spells. A few of the spells need a small clarification on their exact mechanics to determine their power as well.

Onslaught-L

Hoplite
I've been trying to see something like this for ages.

I'll update and extend this when I have the time, but just for now. . I'll do five gods to try and get the number of deities in the game to an eleven. The mythical creatures may not be accurate af, but hey, Grepolis made it work with the six deities we do play with. Really don't have much of an idea about the ideal stats, but lets discuss! I have taken a few inspirations from what Bladedruby has said and from Kal Gordon's criticisms.

HephaestusAphrodite
(goddess of Love and Beauty)
Nemesis
(goddess of Revenge)​
Ares
(god of War)
Demeter
Myth Unit 1The Phoenix - flying unit. Probably with both pretty good defensive and offensive (distance?) stats.The Hippocampus - naval myth unit. Good defensive stats for its cost. (Similar to the pegasus)Lycaoan - Once a king, punished by the gods to became a werewolf alongside all his sons. Considerably cheap for a myth unit, with good for its cost blunt attack. Most effective in larger numbers.The Nemean Lion - Really Good Defensive stats but with pretty good-ish sharp attackThe Karpoi: Flying myth units with a good distance attack. Pretty cheap.
Myth Unit 2The Chimera - Offensive Unit with really high blunt attack.Phobos - The personification of fear itself, born out of the unloyalty between Aphrodite and Ares. Should be the myth with the highest attack in game. I'm thinking of it similar to the redheads in the game, with similar cost.Arachne - Really good defensive stats.The Dragon - Flying offensive Unit with really high distance attackSatyr: Cheap mythical units with pretty good all-round defensive stats. But need a good amount to be really effective. (I'm trying to show that's its kinda like defensive harpies)
Spell- Gives X amount of extra coins of wisdom and/or war received per quest completed when the spell is activeBlood of a Titan - Born from Kronos' blood, Aphrodite finds out she is linked with the creatures of old. All mythical units fight 10% strongerPunishment for Hubris - The gods are displeased as their units fall down dead. For each of the mythical unit in the attack that is killed, another 5 of the defending units are killed.Deemed Worthy - Ares looks down on the battle and the warriors please him, receive 5% of the BP of your killed units for this battleBountiful Harvest - Demeter allows for crops to increase, giving your villages extra resources. Trade with farming villages takes 25% less time and the trade ratio remains the same twice before decreasing.
SpellHephaestus' tools - The construction workers use Hephaestus' tools, decreasing construction time by 25% for X amount of hoursAttention queen - Aphrodite enjoys being the center of attention. As long as the spell is cast, after every attack that lands, defensive stats of the defending units in the city increase by 2%Crown of Nikes - The luck of the attack where this spell is casted will not be negative./ will atleast be 10.Increased Strength - Ares strengthens your soldiers. Units in the attack where this spell is cast, can carry X% more lootContempt - As her daughter Persephone disappears for six more months, Demeter curses Hades once more. All of Hades' mythical units offensive and defensive stats are decreased by X% in the incoming attack or in the defending city.
SpellThe Legendary Forge - Units use weapons and armour made by Hephaeustus himself. Units cause 15% more Sharp attack.True Love - Aphrodite looks on with joy when people she is rooting for get together. Should be used after Hera's Wedding spell, will grant another 100 of each resource and 5 of either Swordsmen, Archers or Hoplites.Cursed - Lycaons manages to infect some of the defending units. Attacks where this spell is cast will result in about 10% of the killed unit population to turn into Lycaons in the city where the spell is casted (Must worship Nemesis)The Spartoi - A tooth of Ares' favourite dragon is planted, the ground shifts and skeleton warriors come out. The city gets an X% increase in militia for the duration of the spell.Riders of Arion - Demeter blesses your city with 1 horsemen
SpellUnfavoured Masons - Hephaeustus makes all the worker's tools faulty. All building construction time in the target city will be increased by 25%.Curse of Lemnos - 10% of the units being constructed in the target city will be 'born' in the city that cast this spell.Justice prevails - Nemesis looks on discontent as a city is plagued with negative spells. When this spell is casted on a city, all negative effects that are casted in the city will also be casted on the city that casted them.Same as Athena's spell of 10% increased attack.Insatiable Hunger - Demeter curses the ruler of the target city. For 2 (or X) hours, resources in the target city decrease by 5% every hour.

So this was cool and pretty fun to write, but I get why some of this doesn't balance the game. So to me, it does make sense why Grepolis has the gods it does. They explore most of the balanced things in the game. So here, I tried to get creative. I may change some stuff in a while. I'm thinking of a myth unit for Hephaestus (the hundred handed ones) that can also demolish walls. So the description would go something like "good distance attack, but is it worth the cost??"

But I'm looking forward to hearing suggestions.

Last edited:

DeletedUser53824

I've been trying to see something like this for ages.

I'll update and extend this when I have the time, but just for now. . I'll do five gods to try and get the number of deities in the game to an eleven. The mythical creatures may not be accurate af, but hey, Grepolis made it work with the six deities we do play with. Really don't have much of an idea about the ideal stats, but lets discuss! I have taken a few inspirations from what Bladedruby has said and from Kal Gordon's criticisms.

HephaestusAphrodite
(goddess of Love and Beauty)
Nemesis
(goddess of Revenge)​
Ares
(god of War)
Demeter
Myth Unit 1The Phoenix - flying unit. Probably with both pretty good defensive and offensive (distance?) stats.The Hippocampus - naval myth unit. Good defensive stats for its cost. (Similar to the pegasus)Lycaoan - Once a king, punished by the gods to became a werewolf alongside all his sons. Considerably cheap for a myth unit, with good for its cost blunt attack. Most effective in larger numbers.The Nemean Lion - Really Good Defensive stats but with pretty good-ish sharp attackThe Karpoi: Flying myth units with a good distance attack. Pretty cheap.
Myth Unit 2The Chimera - Offensive Unit with really high blunt attack.Phobos - The personification of fear itself, born out of the unloyalty between Aphrodite and Ares. Should be the myth with the highest attack in game. I'm thinking of it similar to the redheads in the game, with similar cost.Arachne - Really good defensive stats.The Dragon - Flying offensive Unit with really high distance attackSatyr: Cheap mythical units with pretty good all-round defensive stats. But need a good amount to be really effective. (I'm trying to show that's its kinda like defensive harpies)
Spell- Gives X amount of extra coins of wisdom and/or war received per quest completed when the spell is activeBlood of a Titan - Born from Kronos' blood, Aphrodite finds out she is linked with the creatures of old. All mythical units fight 10% strongerPunishment for Hubris - The gods are displeased as their units fall down dead. For each of the mythical unit in the attack that is killed, another 5 of the defending units are killed.Deemed Worthy - Ares looks down on the battle and the warriors please him, receive 5% of the BP of your killed units for this battleBountiful Harvest - Demeter allows for crops to increase, giving your villages extra resources. Trade with farming villages takes 25% less time and the trade ratio remains the same twice before decreasing.
SpellHephaestus' tools - The construction workers use Hephaestus' tools, decreasing construction time by 25% for X amount of hoursAttention queen - Aphrodite enjoys being the center of attention. As long as the spell is cast, after every attack that lands, defensive stats of the defending units in the city increase by 2%Crown of Nikes - The luck of the attack where this spell is casted will not be negative./ will atleast be 10.Increased Strength - Ares strengthens your soldiers. Units in the attack where this spell is cast, can carry X% more lootContempt - As her daughter Persephone disappears for six more months, Demeter curses Hades once more. All of Hades' mythical units offensive and defensive stats are decreased by X% in the incoming attack or in the defending city.
SpellThe Legendary Forge - Units use weapons and armour made by Hephaeustus himself. Units cause 15% more Sharp attack.True Love - Aphrodite looks on with joy when people she is rooting for get together. Should be used after Hera's Wedding spell, will grant another 100 of each resource and 5 of either Swordsmen, Archers or Hoplites.Cursed - Lycaons manages to infect some of the defending units. Attacks where this spell is cast will result in about 10% of the killed unit population to turn into Lycaons in the city where the spell is casted (Must worship Nemesis)The Spartoi - A tooth of Ares' favourite dragon is planted, the ground shifts and skeleton warriors come out. The city gets an X% increase in militia for the duration of the spell.Riders of Arion - Demeter blesses your city with 1 horsemen
SpellUnfavoured Masons - Hephaeustus makes all the worker's tools faulty. All building construction time in the target city will be increased by 25%.Curse of Lemnos - 10% of the units being constructed in the target city will be 'born' in the city that cast this spell.Justice prevails - Nemesis looks on discontent as a city is plagued with negative spells. When this spell is casted on a city, all negative effects that are casted in the city will also be casted on the city that casted them.Same as Athena's spell of 10% increased attack.Insatiable Hunger - Demeter curses the ruler of the target city. For 2 (or X) hours, resources in the target city decrease by 5% every hour.

So this was cool and pretty fun to write, but I get why some of this doesn't balance the game. So to me, it does make sense why Grepolis has the gods it does. They explore most of the balanced things in the game. So here, I tried to get creative. I may change some stuff in a while. I'm thinking of a myth unit for Hephaestus (the hundred handed ones) that can also demolish walls. So the description would go something like "good distance attack, but is it worth the cost??"

But I'm looking forward to hearing suggestions.

Nice job :)
I feel like 2 of the spells could be really broken though:
Attention Queen: This could double the defensive stats of units in a city after 50 attacks (including ls clearings?) which would make it a lot harder to break a siege/land a cs on a revolted city. It could also be abused by getting a neighbour (or yourself) to send in a lot of fakes just before an enemy attack lands just to get a massive defensive boost. It could maybe be capped at 10% or something

Punishment for Hubris: Depends if myth units defending are killed, if they are then 100 dead harpies could mean 500 defending cerberus get killed.

I really like the other ideas, well done!

Onslaught-L

Hoplite
Oooh, now that you mention it. The population thing for the Punishment for Hubris definitely doesn't sound too good. But yeah, I meant to write that other myth units from the defending army wont be killed. Ahhh okay, yeah, I think I meant 5 worth of pop units will be killed. I'm not sure if systems will be able to discern that though. So like, for a harpy that is killed, units worth of 5 pop will be killed. Whether it be 5 swordsmen, or 1 chariot and 1 swordsmen, up to the system to decide I guess. But of course, the numbers can be adjusted.

The thing about attention queen is that the defensive stats increase only after the attack lands. So defends wont be able to do that. Oh okay just realized that their allies could send small attacks. Hmmm....good point. Yeah, I gotta work on that one. But I think yeah, capping it at 10 or so % will work better.

Thanks for the criticism and for liking them. I appreciate it!