New mod? Who is this crazy guy?

• Thread starter DeletedUser40816
  • Start date

DeletedUser40816

Well hello to all of you wonderful designers! I am your new GFX mod, and a pleasure it is to be helping this community!

So a little about me that you won't find in my other intro thread:

I have always been interested in art, I found it most in nature which living on a farm certainly helped. Originally I wanted to be an archeologist, however around the time I started secondary school (high school) I realised that what most fascinated me were the buildings. Thus my dream to become an architect began. Secondary school was definitely great for my creative side, especially when I was able to take a couple of GCSE's that would help to shape my chosen path: Resistant Materials (Woodwork & Metalwork) and Graphic Design.

With it I learnt to use software such as Corel Draw and Jasc Paintshop Pro, a bit of a step up from the old MS Paint. At the same time I got Google Sketchup, bringing my art into 3D and allowing me to model the buildings that I dreamt up. Sixth Form college was the next place, where I took 3 art based courses: Photography, Painting & Sculpture, and Architecture. There I was introduced to Photoshop (CS3), Illustrator, and CAD/CAM software such as Techsoft 2D Design. Around June 2010 I was starting to use the forums more and more on Tribal Wars .uk, where I found the inspiration and desire for graphic design. So I downloaded GIMP for my home computer and started off with signatures.

I can honestly say that like the rest I have had to work hard to be half way decent, and my first sigs were nothing to smile about! A year later and I was addicted, buying Photoshop CS5 Extended right as I started Uni. And now I sit here with the entire Adobe Masters Suite, AutoCAD and more all sharing space on my macbook pro that I got in 2010 purely from a desire to have a computer perfect for graphic design (that and my old leviathan of a computer chose that time to want to die).

So yeah, I have been practising graphic design for nearly 3 years now, and my housemate likes to say that he see's me doing more graphic design work than he sees architecture work :p

My main goal for this section is to increase the community, both in the numbers of designers and in knowledge. I fully intend to run more competitions so long as there is the demand, and I will only ever complete requests if I get inspired (which is rare, as most of my inspiration is sunk into architecture nowadays!). You guys are more than welcome to ask me any graphics related questions, and even if I don't know the answer I will usually do research on it so I can provide you with some form of informative response :)

Here's to the future!

Phil

P.S. If you see me posting up a lot of arty threads then it is just me sharing my crazy love of art with you guys, with artwork that I have found over the years that I find to be inspirational :)

P.P.S Here is my first ever sig for you guys to have a laugh at:
sgtroebucksigwithtextfinalsize.jpg

DeletedUser22509

Could you do a guide on how to do renders in Gimp? I have attempted to do it a few times but just can't get it right.

DeletedUser

Welcome :) Hope you can revive these forums a bit, you need all the luck you can get ^^

DeletedUser27793

It is easy Aatlanta
go to layers-----> transparency---->add alpha channel
Just use fuzzy select tool and select the region u want to have(try it ;))
then again go to layers ----->tranasperency----> color to alpha
then u will have a pic with transparent background

Congrats philip :D
btw we need a comp

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser27793

lol BT yes a comp did finish a few days ago but we r greedy for more

DeletedUser40816

I shall try to think up an interesting comp to challenge you lot then :)

As for a cutting out guide in GIMP, I shall check my video files to see if I have done one already, and if I haven't then I shall make that a top priority.

DeletedUser

Phipster said:
Here's to the future!

Phil
So now he's Phil, Phil of the Future
Keeping it together just as best as he can
Phil, Phil of the future
He's a 22nd century man (22nd century man)

sorry you said future and you are phil and it was one of my fav shows :D

anyway congratz +rep me i sang for you!

and MORE GUIDES FOR PHOTOSHOP~~ :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

lol, what a failed sig phil, ;)

jk, nice to meet you, sadly many of these artists are now using a lot of anime stuff, hope you can bring it back to when there were plenty of artists, and it wasn't all anime :pro:

DeletedUser40816

Whilst anime is easy to use in sigs, it is really limiting in what styles you can do with it. And yes Gouen, there will be more guides.

I watched a few mins of that "Phil of the future", was cringing the entire time.

DeletedUser27793

Vladamir I can even try sigs of gaming and cartoons too ;)

DeletedUser18825

I can't stand anime! :supermad:

lol,

congrats philipster on the GFX mod position! I'm looking forward to more SoTWs and other comps!