Discussion New weekly discussion! MRA or Elite few

DeletedUser

Hello forum goers!

I'm sorry that it's been a while since the last weekly discussion, however I have decided to try this once more.

This weeks discussion is Which alliances are better, MRA's that look for new recruits with good potential that can be developed or an elite alliance that already know how to play the game however are overconfident and underestimate others.

I hope you enjoy the discussion topic, please remain respectful to one another and follow the forum rules.

DeletedUser27700

I believe in a good mix of the two.

Getting a small group of friends that know what they are doing together to start an alliance, then recruiting a few noobs and teaching them how to play is a lot of fun.

The problem with going extreme in either direction is perception mostly.
If you become a true MRA then you will not be able to manage them all.
If you are an 'Elite alliance' then you are probably full of blown up egos who wont want to work together long.

DeletedUser

I prefer a smaller team... An MRA, however good the players, will never beat a decent tight-nit team.

If the smaller alliance is overconfident though, they will probably be taken apart. Given the way you have phrased it, there is only 1 answer. The good MRA will beat the bad elite alliance.

However, in practice, it tends to be the smaller team that wins as they can co ordinate and actually beat their larger opposition through simply being better at the game.

Obviously there is no right answer, but I do prefer smaller alliances.

DeletedUser23986

MRAs never look for new recruits with potential, they look for any recruit, otherwise they are no longer an MRA.

Elite alliances generally underestimate others, but they often manage to grow, unless they get into war with another "elite". In the later case, they merge in the end, and a bigger "elite" is formed, which in turn keeps growing in the same way, and wins.

MRAs generally keep loosing cities, and the lucky chaps manage to get in the "elites" in the end.

Link of time

Phrourach
I'm more of an MRA kinda guy.

They look for newbs (NOTE: Not Noobs) to recruit. The elite few will lose badly in a war JUST for having a lack of knowledge... of exatley How much damage an MRA can acually do. I remember back in Ephesus Us and our 411 members took on about a 500 member elite colidation, and acually held.

The elite will fall, way before the MRA.

DeletedUser

Neither are liable to succeed, IMO. A couple of inactives or VMs can destroy an 'elite' team, and their egotistical attitudes tend to divide far before that time. MRAs, on the other hand, don't seem to look for quality - and some not even activity - which naturally results in a fizzle as world growth slows. I'm not debating which is better, because that's entirely subjective, but neither are sustainable.

Excluding the more organised premades - I use that word very, very sparingly - every successful alliance dons the appearance of an MRA at some point during the world. If you start a world with twenty players, you might leave it with five. Recruitment and, sometimes, merges are necessary evils to remain a contender in what is actually quite a passive game compared to its genre peers. What separates the good from the bad is the ability to filter recruits and not care what the initial stage appears like to the rest of the world.

DeletedUser20492

The real problem is extremes. If one guy goes into a world all by himself and just recruits everything that moves points in the first day, he's not going to have an alliance for too terribly long. If a group of elites goes in with the "no new members unless we invited them to come" mentality, that won't work either. You lose players, you gain players, new people with strategic ability but no knowledge start on almost every world. The ones that generally succeed are the ones that have a small-ish group that have worked together enough to not HAVE to talk to one another to know their thoughts in a given situation inviting players they TALK TO and have a good "feeling" about. MMORTS is all about instinct when it comes to recruiting.

DeletedUser345

I was having a conversation with DraculasHeir and a few others about this yesterday and I think the conclusion came to was something the lines of...

The best run MRAs are technically the best run alliances, if there is a good leader at the helm and he is able to control the members and teach them how to be the best then the alliance will have the quantity and come out trumps in any war. As long as you do an MRA right then you won't struggle. The problem with MRAs is that many poor leaders create them and are unable to manage them in any competent manner. The second issue is image, MRAs very rarely give off a positive image and so the best players won't join - this leads to the ranks being filled with inexperienced and disloyal players.

DeletedUser24152

I was having a conversation with DraculasHeir and a few others about this yesterday and I think the conclusion came to was something the lines of...

The best run MRAs are technically the best run alliances, if there is a good leader at the helm and he is able to control the members and teach them how to be the best then the alliance will have the quantity and come out trumps in any war. As long as you do an MRA right then you won't struggle. The problem with MRAs is that many poor leaders create them and are unable to manage them in any competent manner. The second issue is image, MRAs very rarely give off a positive image and so the best players won't join - this leads to the ranks being filled with inexperienced and disloyal players.

This is how I would imagine the answer to be as well!

A very well lead MRA can do well as long as the leadership can control the invitations(new members and also replacing the inactive ones with active players) and punishments(inactivity, swallowing them up and executing).

It all comes down to Leadership and management, which are two different aspects of the game.

DeletedUser

I believe in a good mix of the two.

Getting a small group of friends that know what they are doing together to start an alliance, then recruiting a few noobs and teaching them how to play is a lot of fun.

The problem with going extreme in either direction is perception mostly.
If you become a true MRA then you will not be able to manage them all.
If you are an 'Elite alliance' then you are probably full of blown up egos who wont want to work together long.

Premium Gold and Private Mail alliance in Lindos matches ur thoughts. And also, I think they are the best alliance:)(just my thought)