- Editor's Note
- World Overview
- Top 12
- Top 12 Analysis
- Interview
- Game
- Credits

Editor's Note

Greetings readers! welcome to the first issue of Olous. I hope you enjoy this article, I have worked on it for a while and I have created this for your enjoyment only. Please comment what you think.

World Overview

Olous is nearly celebrating its 1st complete month.Olous has somewhat been lacking action early on but it looks like action is coming with multiple alliances starting to show plans of ocean conquest and coalitions forming. The rim oceans are starting to fill up and we will probably see some alliances break through the rankings

55 Stay and Winners are the two main contenders here. Stay having of the best cores around and Winners' core being right next to Stay territory will make for an interesting war. The next best alliance is probably Nerfherders in the bottom left corner of the ocean, they have a great core and seem to have easy food (Nemesis) around them.
To watch : Stay versus Winner

54 The Bunnies have beaten Project snuggle with some of PS defecting to SC and the rest joining the bunnies.OSG and SC are moving in the ocean now with SC having a good foothold due to ex-PS members.It seems that a group of 'Elite' or ex-Bunny and PS members have formed an alliance up north, they call themselves Necessary Roughness. Apart from them there is The Charlatans who seem to be holding well but they are right next to Bunny Territory.
To watch : Bunnies

45 By far the most interesting ocean with 5 top 15 alliances (branches not included). Order family seems to be in control for nowbut looking at a map you see that they are quite spread and only control a small territory. Rumour is that they are helping Winners in beating Stay. Rejects has come back from a short time being OSG Anarch, maybe for the better, they own the top right corner of 45. The two alliances to watch are OCEANS VETERANS and Turtle Time. OV is famous and has been dominating in many old worlds while turtle time is dealing with rejection. It will be interesting to see who they ally and fight.
To watch : Order, Rejects, Zero Tolerance, Turtle Time, OCEANS VETERANS

44 Quite boring ocean, OSG is in full control with Thracians taking a bit of control in the north. No other alliances that can challenge. OSG going to war with Bunnies is quite a big thing.
To watch : OSG

Top 12

#1. Stay Cool (Stay Enraged - Stay Sinergy)
Ocean 55
1,362,509 points
49 members
27,806 average points
388,935 ABP (1)
127,274 DBP (1)
516,209 BP (1)

Winning in all categories, this alliance has a lot of potential, however I hear that a BIG coalition is/has formed against them, they might be able to pull through but it's very unlikely with the likes of Bunnies and Order Joining the coalition. They have recently taken in PS players givign them a very strong foothold in Ocean 54, a big problem for the bunnies. Apart form this they have a very strong core, very concentrated.
Swimming with a shark behind them

#2. Killer Bunnies (Plague Bunnies - Fire Bunnies)
Ocean 54
1,088,748 points
48 members
22,682 average points
255,663 ABP (3)
114,155 DBP (2)
369,818 BP (2)

Recently back in the top 3 it seems like they have taken in Plague Bunnies members and outsiders (such as PS) in their ranks. Their core has improved massively, partly thanks to Hellfire joining up to create Fire Bunnies. Bunnies are reportedly at war with both OSG and SC, the two biggest families around. They have a very good hold in 54 with PS now gone but SC could create a lot of problems.
Floating with Current

#3. OSG4LIFE (OSG Empire - Open Source Government - OSG Vanguard)
Ocean 44
1,054,021 points
45 members
23,423 average points
296,667 ABP (2)
66,903 DBP (6)
363,570 BP (3)

their stats are good however they haven't been in a major war yet (their DBP stats show it). Having recently declared war on Bunnies lets see if they have enough teamwork experience to breakthrough. It seems as if they cannot remove Thracians from their ocean with reports that they are failing their CS attempts.
Floating with Current

#4. Order 66 (Order 67 - Order 68 - Order 69)
Ocean 45
761,783 points
49 members
15,547 average points
214,061 ABP (5)
54,567 DBP (8)
268,628 BP (5)

Poor BP stats for the 4th ranked alliance in this list, their DBP sugests that they haven't been attacked a lot or they are just really bad at defending. They are part of the Anti-SC coalition, let's see how it plays out and if they can survive ocean 45 and its many dangers.
Float

#5. Stay Enraged (Stay Cool - Stay Sinergy)
Ocean 55
759,063 points
48 members
15,814 average points
172,970 ABP (13)
61,480 DBP (7)
234,450 BP (12)

See #1

#6. Rejects
Ocean 45
606,566 points
48 members
12,637 average points
204,365 ABP (6)
45,810 DBP (13)
250,175 BP (9)

Ex-OSG Anarchy they have rebelled and gone back to the Rejects way of life, the reaosn for this rebellion is apparently due to OSG agreeing to a NAP with ZT. Rejects have a very strong core in north-east 45, right next to the Bunnies and SC. They seem like a good bunch, also part of the coalition it seems. No real enemies apart form SC.
Swim

#7. Zero Tolerance
Ocean 45
591,830 points
44 members
13,451 average points
188,110 ABP (9)
72,573 DBP (5)
260,683 BP (7)

The most hated group of 45, these guys have no tolerance, friendly with OSG but with no allies in 45, I dont see them lasting long, especially with TT and OV coming in.
Sink

#8. Winners (Winners II - Winners III)
Ocean 55
589,322 points
46 members
12,811 average points
175,942 ABP (12)
76,323 DBP (4)
252,265 BP (8)

The main contrbutors to the Anti-SC regiment, they broke off from SC a bit more than a week ago. They don't have as good stats but they have the allies, they are being attacked a lot with not a lot of counter-attack (stats). They will have to step that up if they want to live long enough to see the WW.
Float

#9. Turtle Time
Ocean 45
555,622 points
46 members
12,079 average points
197,813 ABP (8)
38,082 DBP (17)
235,895 BP (11)

Like OV they have a strong core, strong leadership, good stats considering when they started. A good overall alliance.
Swim

#10. OCEANS VETERANS
Ocean 45
518,172 points
46 members
11,265 average points
180,205 ABP (10)
27,524 DBP (28)
207,729 BP (14)

Like TT they have a strong core, strong leadership, good stats considering when they started. A good overall alliance.
Swim

#11. OSG Empire (OSG4LIFE - Open Source Government - OSG Vanguard)
Ocean 44
502,636 points
42 members
11,968 average points
145,819 ABP (17)
32,320 DBP (24)
178,321 BP (17)

See #3

#12. Thracians
Ocean 44
497,430 points
40 members
12,436 average points
201,281 ABP (7)
46,228 DBP (12)
247,509 BP (10)

The alliance that has been causing trouble for OSG, they have a strong core and strong minded players, they will go far if not dealt with quickly. Now with the rim oceans open they can expand there in case of needs, far form OSG's reach.
Swim

Top 12 Analysis

It is quite amazing that the 3 Titans (Stay Cool, Killer Bunnies, OSG4LIFE) are ~300k points above #4 and 8k in average points. This really shows that those 3 alliances are big growers and thats why I give them the name of Titans. We can also see a lot of Ocean 45 alliances in the top 12, showing a lot of potential future action over there. BP wise there isn't an as big difference but SC is clearly leading is all.

DeletedUser54537

Interview

The Kitten Fatalis

Q: You recently created the Top 12 Power Rankings Discussion thread in this world's forum; of the 12 alliances you put at the top, The Order Family, Rejects, Turtle Time, OCEANS VETERANS and Zero Tolerance are all based in O45. Do you foresee any coalitions forming between these alliances in order to help them achieve oceanic supremacy or do you anticipate a free-for-all in this highly contested ocean?

A: I would not be shocked if the world came down to 2-5 mass coalitions duking it out across the world.

Q: Recently the former alliance OSGAnarchy once again became Rejects, often explained by OSG's decision to start a Non-Agression-Pact with Zero Tolerance. Do you think this decision will end up costing them dearly or do you think they will continue to thrive as Rejects?

A: I think Rejects are in good shape for the moment. So long as they can handle Zero Tolerance they'll swim.

Q: The alliances mentioned in the first question currently have a significant presence in O45. Do you believe there is room for any alliance not mentioned in the first question to rise up to the level of the ones already mentioned? If so, any ones in particular?

A: If you're not one of those alliances, then sorry but you have no chance. The only way someone else is rising out of O45 is if they break off from their current team.

Q: With so many alliances all vying for control of O45, some of the prominent ones now are likely to not make it to WW stage. Which alliance(s) do you believe is/are most likely to be taken over? Why do you think these alliances will ultimately fall?

A: Everyone seems to hate Zero Tolerance at the moment. But I can see them lasting a long time. Order 66 would be my pick to fall.

Q: Excluding Turtle Time (for obvious reasons), which alliance(s) in O45 do you think will rise to the top of the Ocean? How do you think they'll manage to overcome their regional rivals?

A: OCEANS VETERANS. They've grown quickly and their core is the tightest in O45.

Dojo Omega

Q: What is your view on Thracians ? How about Bunnies ?

A: They look too comfortable in our ocean, I thought I saw a Wabbit here too.

Q: What do you have to say to the rumours that you having internal problems ?

A: I don't appreciate my bowel issues being discussed about like general gossip on grepolis, but yes, its not just a rumour - but it is improving.

Q: People are excited to see a brawl between the two biggest families around, OSG and Stay, Do you have any comments about this ?

A: This world is going to be a long one, hope the people have something to pre-occupy themselves until/if that brawl comes.

Q: Any reason in starting a war with The Bunnies ?

A: We have a reason to start a war, they took in our food, but war is a very loosly used word.

Q: Anything you want to add ?

A: Hi Mum, I am being interviewed for a newspaper, be proud.

Antiochos III Megas

Q: Can you tell us a bit about your alliance ?

A: Stay Cool was a project that started on the very first day of this server on the
55/45 border close to the very center of the world.
jooser , partizan and sale75 its 3 inital members and founders and those who have
been time and again critizized by their inexperience and even arrogance have brought
to life the group which has occupied the number 1 spot in both fighters and rank
for the longest time in these first few weeks (whatever that is worth).
Acused of incompetence and ill-management and still, somehow, by the day, more
and more top ranked players leave other alliances to join us stating we are better
organized and lead. Something must be right around here.
We have survived one of our branches dissolving on us, Dystopia stating they
wanted in on our family and then joining Order66 and a failed merger with Winners.
Yet, we are stronger than ever. We have managed to put together in SC some of
the best players of this server who eager to make the group rise even higher.

Rejects

Q: It is commonly said that your alliance Rejects left the OSG family to form Rejects once again because of a Non-Aggression-Pact that OSG was forming with Zero Tolerance. Are there any other reasons, or was this issue at the center of your alliance's decision for independence? If it was indeed the sole reason, what makes going after ZT so important to you all?

A: That's the OSG line yeah, shame it's not really based in reality. The truth is that we were all in favour of a (very) short NAP with ZT. Let us shore up the front lines and then unleash upon them a blitzkrieg not seen since Rommel and his Ghost Division. The issues we had were more...fundamental. OSG is a very top down alliance, orders are given the alliance follows. Rejects is similar to Athens or Sparta in that we like to argue, we'll kill anything that touches us, but first we need to argue back and forth, and then the leaders will make decisions that affect the alliance as a whole. These two styles didn't mesh very well together.

Additionally, the first OSG rep to come over took a very colonial almost condescending tone. As if we should be gratefull for being allowed to be part of OSG. This might work if the alliance is teetering on the brink of collapse or has already had its core broken, but that was not the case with us. With the well so thoroughly poisoned the next OSG rep (who did an awesome job I must admit) had too much of an uphill battle to overcome.

I'd also like to clear up one point: We did not leave OSG. They left us. I was actually out drinking at a bar after work when I got a call "Yo Poison check Grep". That's when I realized that OSG had dumped us, deleted the forums, the profile and vanished. Though sub optimal, they could have done a lot more damage if they wanted to. So credit where credit is due, they're not all bad just very set in their ways.

Q: Do you feel that your alliance's separation from the OSG Family was generally accepted by your former allies in O44, or do you think that they're going to be trying to attack Rejects in the near future?

A: And then some. We have more allies now than before, turns out that getting rejected (pardon the pun) by OSG earns you a bit of love from everyone else :D . But in all seriousness things have worked out. We've ended up with more allies then before and our relationship with OSG is cordial if a little cool.

Q: What do you feel is the greatest existential threat(s) to Rejects in the coming days and weeks? How do you plan to combat these threat(s) in order to survive in O45?

A: My Alcoholism and Z's bitchiness, individually they wouldn't even slow an alliance, but combined...they can do some real damage :D
Complacency, we have a solid and well built core. So it would be easy to pick off smaller targets and wait for someone to come knocked. The thing is that teamwork and coordination takes practice, if we fail to bloody ourselves on real opponents, we will be over run simply for want of real practical training as a unit. Our border War with ZT has gone same ways to negating that.

Q: Which alliance (barring your own) do you think will thrive in the fierce competition for supremacy in O45? What aspect(s) of this alliance give it the competitive edge?

A: From a simply numerical point of view I'd have to hand that to the Order clan. They have more members than any other alliance in the ocean. OV have a reputation as being effective fighters and bring a host of veterans to battle. Turtle Time also stands a chance if they can hold of early charges from ZT and turn that experience into a unifying force for their alliance. Essentially, O45 is currently a coalition environment with some alliances focused on SC others focues on ZT. So who will thrive really depends on who manages to make the most out of the current conflicts.
In that sense O45 is probably one of the more exciting oceans, it's anybodies game. Of course they can't match up to us, but whoever emerges will be a valued ally.

Q: Some alliances are likely not to make it in the competitive environment of O45. Which one(s) do you feel will be first to go? What do you feel keeps these alliances from thriving in the ocean?

A: ZT attempted to wage war against the ocean before establishing a core. The end result will be, barring an act of divine intervention, their destruction. They don't have the numbers, the experience, the veteran core, the actuall impenetrable core to deal with all the enemies they've made.

Game

A riddle from Albert Einstein:

There are five houses, with five occupants, each with a different color house, different beverage of choice, different favorite brand of cigarette, and a unique pet. The goal is to figure out who owns the fish. Here is all the info you get:
1) The Englishman lives in the red house.
2) The Swede keeps dogs.
3) The Dane drinks tea.
4) The green house is just to the left of the white one.
5) The owner of the green house drinks coffee.
6) The Pall Mall smoker keeps birds.
7) The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhills.
8) The man in the center house drinks milk.
9) The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10) The Blend smoker has a neighbor who keeps cats.
11) The man who smokes Blue Masters drinks beer.
12) The man who keeps horses lives next to the Dunhill smoker.
13) The German smokes Prince.
14) The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15) The Blend smoker has a neighbor who drinks water.

Post your answer in the forum

Credits

To Water732 for helping me thorugh the making of the bungle, to everyone that agreed to be interviewed and to the readers who will hopefully show enough support for me to continue this.

DeletedUser54236

Nice job, I would like to see many installments on this

DeletedUser54486

Just for a bit of additional background information, the interview with the leader of Rejects was conducted with Poisonberry, head of diplomacy and recruitment for the alliance.

I love how the paper was put together. Glad I was able to help, this looks great.

DeletedUser41523

Great job both of you! Only suggestion is to use spoilers for the interviews. I got slightly mixed up!

DeletedUser43367

I've had a stab at the puzzle. Actually it was quite hard, I had to scribble down 5 houses on a piece of paper and start adding info and simply deducing what was possible and not. Anyhoo, in short the answer I have deduced is the German, in the green house owns the fish. Also drinks coffee and smokes prince. Am I right?

DeletedUser43367

the norwegian owns the fish ;)
He can't own the fish, the Norwegian lives in the first house, the second house is blue and when you start working through all the possibilities, either the norwegian or the englishman has to keep cats. Turns out the Brit keeps birds (like me) so the norwegian has to keep the cats.

DeletedUser43367

Hey I just commented on the riddle and my post vanished.

DeletedUser43367

I'll have another go, German owns the fish... cba to write down the rest as I've just done it once and the post vanished.

DeletedUser43367

Woot woot!! I can tell you with all honesty that I thought I'd crack it in 5 minutes and I was scribbling away for half an hour. Now I'm grinning like a cheshire cat.

DeletedUser54414

This is a really nicely done issue. I´ll be looking forward the next one in the future when things have changed. :)