On Alliance Caps

DeletedUser17561

I have seen some griping about the high alliance cap. I concur with that feeling (somewhat), and think there is a way to balance the game.

The first world I played was Lambda - a speed 2 Revolt world with a very small alliance cap of 50. So small, in fact, that I had haver heard of an MRA until I joined a different world after a year in Lambda. A small cap has a multitude of benefits - the alliances are tighter and higher-performing, bad players (and this is different from inexperienced) get knocked out and the focus is more on the warfare and less on random chatter/spam.

the one drawback is that is is virtually impossible to win the game. Given the size of the worlds, which i think are the same irrespective of the alliance cap or speed (and I could be wrong - I am basing that on just looking at maps), it is impossible for 50 people to exert enough dominance to "win". that server had a full world war that has drug on for over 18 months with no end in sight. Lambda finally instituted World Wonders, I suspect in an effort to drive the world to some conclusion. You just can't manage an empire large enough to win a world if there are only 50 of you.

I think a system with a graduated alliance cap might prove a workable solution. for the first x months, the alliance cap would be smaller - say 20-50. Then, it would jump to 75, then 100, 150, 200 after certain timepoints. this would afford all the benefits of smaller caps but allow the world to be driven to a conclusion as people get larget and more skilled.

This would help newer players as well - there has been a lot of talk about the benefits of steamrolling new people because we are not "doing them any favors" by taking it easy on them. There is merit in that argument but there is still a lot of steamrolling going on that has little to do with skill. And inexperienced players who join large alliances (and don't know a good one form a bad one) don't really get the experience with the game to either become good or enjoy the time they spend. Who benefits from that?

DeletedUser

Try posting this in the Idea's section of the Forum, and give it Format, and we have a good idea!