"Only the dead have seen the end of the war."

DeletedUser

I have seen this quote in a lot of people profiles on Grepolis, and just wanted to bring a little bit of historical reading into the forums for anyone who likes that sort of thing.

"Only the dead have seen the end of the war." - Plato?

Is actually not said by Plato at all according to Historical records. It was first used in George Santayana's "Soliloquies in England" (Scribners, 1924, p. 102), Soliloquy #25, "Tipperary", in a section which reads: "Yet the poor fellows think they are safe! They think that the war is over! Only the dead have seen the end of war."

It was wrongly attributed to Plato during General Douglas MacArthur's farewell address to the cadets at West Point (May, 1962). Although this may not be the main contributor to this mis-quote , the book/movie Black Hawk Down also credited this quote to Plato maybe bringing back the myth that he actually said it into modern existence. A bit of light reading for you all , hope you find it educational :)

DeletedUser

Is this a jab at me? I've used this quote under my profile since day one. Plato may not have said it, but does it really matter? It's not who said it, but the meaning behind it that counts. I thought they were profound words.

How about a little history behind Orestes and the city of Argos while you're at it?

DeletedUser

Wow. Everything is a jab at Orestes these days, I just thought you might want a little education really :D

I've noticed it used a lot in people's profiles, yours is one of them yes. Sorry if your weak heart got offended by facts, Orestes.

But it does matter A LOT actually, people that use quotes should at least know who it should be attributed to. Don't you agree?

DeletedUser29371

Interesting historical fact (if it actually is 100% true) But i guess noone can deny that Plato also could've said it hehehe :p

DeletedUser

I think the lesson behind the words matter more than who gets credit for saying them, but I suppose a proper citation is appropriate. I'll change it when I get off VM.

DeletedUser

I think the lesson behind the words matter more than who gets credit for saying them, but I suppose a proper citation is appropriate. I'll change it when I get off VM.

I did not mean it as a jab at all let me say again. But I agree with your point Orestes, I do indeed.

Interesting historical fact (if it actually is 100% true) But i guess noone can deny that Plato also could have said it hehehe

No one could deny he said it, no one could deny that he said 'I love Gammasnarf' either..
But what's important is that there is no official documentation of him saying it. I just wanted a bit of historical debate if i'm being honest, I don't know any other historians who have found the quote as being said by him either. Was hoping for someone to bring something to the table

DeletedUser17088

35r8t3.jpg

scumbag plato

DeletedUser

CaerUrfa has seen the end of the war. He ghosted his account. O64 is littered with gray dots. He's a former Defiance member, one of the guys that gamma said was "probably just taking a break".

To thee I say "neener neener!"

DeletedUser

CaerUrfa has seen the end of the war. He ghosted his account. O64 is littered with gray dots. He's a former Defiance member, one of the guys that gamma said was "probably just taking a break".

To thee I say "neener neener!"

I said "maybe they went on a break" - Bit different :)

DeletedUser29371

I said "maybe they went on a break" - Bit different :)

If a player of such caliber as Defiance (they atleast deserve a spot around 5-7 in rankings) is inactive as in not logged in for 3+ days AND can be SPIED upon 99.9% quitted or would atleast easilly be conquered (same as gone then)

So yeh i agree with you that 1 day does not mean much but 3+ is 99.9!

DeletedUser

If a player of such caliber as Defiance (they atleast deserve a spot around 5-7 in rankings) is inactive as in not logged in for 3+ days AND can be SPIED upon 99.9% quitted or would atleast easilly be conquered (same as gone then)

So yeh i agree with you that 1 day does not mean much but 3+ is 99.9!

Suppose you're right there! Too bad also, not sure why they just all left really :p Just because of Orestes?

DeletedUser29371

Suppose you're right there! Too bad also, not sure why they just all left really :p Just because of Orestes?

They are sorrow losers dont you see? They could not conquer a 1.5k +/-500 city from Orestes and decided to move on a world without Orestes... They realised they cannot win against him :D or dont have patience!

DeletedUser

They are sorrow losers dont you see? They could not conquer a 1.5k +/-500 city from Orestes and decided to move on a world without Orestes... They realised they cannot win against him :D or dont have patience!

If I was Orestes I would be feeling happy right now then :D

Well, I am dissapointed in them! :/ They could have had potential, they had some high ranking players and all of a sudden they leave!

DeletedUser

not only Caer,
Pfa also ghosted a few days back.
That is especially interesting ( at least for me), as he was the one to break the LOS and now is under the first to ghost.
A fine leader he was!