Options for software deployment

DeletedUser

I looked into this Yogesh and there's two things you can do if you have a mac.

First, it seems that python is pre-installed on mac PC's (look here) so you might want to use the source code to run the program.

Second, I made an executable file for Windows operating systems using a program called py2exe. There is a similar program called py2app (look here) that makes apps for running on a mac. I think you have to have a mac computer to make these apps, and I dont have a mac.

Let me know if i can be of help to you. It would be great if mac users could use the program as well.

Is it possible for you to make a zip file of source code so that i can convert it into .app file? Also i was wondering whether it takes player data from server or i have to download data myself. If it takes it from server, i assume it will be updated itself, but if i have to download players data from server, i have to update everyday.

Yogesh

DeletedUser

yeah your right.

Until now I have been developing and testing the program, and for this the data does not need to be up-to-date. But if you use it to make maps it is convenient not to have to update the information all the time.

I was thinking to generate a time stamp of the last update and save that to a file. This way the program can figure out when to do a data refresh.

Does the sizing/scrolling work on your laptop?

Haven't actually tested it yet.

Been a little busy Q_Q

~V

DeletedUser

I found it hard to find my alliance, does the search have to be capital/non-capital letter specific?

Could you implement a way to use the alliance rank or the alliance id?

What zoom should I use for a full size map?

Also depending on what order you add the alliances the squares can be hidden by later ones, is there any way to show them both or is this not possible?

Also how do you 'un-draw' cities?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I found it hard to find my alliance, does the search have to be capital/non-capital letter specific?

Also depending on what order you add the alliances the squares can be hidden by later ones, is there any way to show them both or is this not possible?

What i did, If i wanted to un-draw the cities.

Is simply click map, then show map, draw grid, draw cities.

Start fresh xD

~V

DeletedUser

Thanks for the feedback Carf

The seach is capital specific. Maybe i could add a check box to specify if you want it non-capital specific. I'll keep that in mind.

Technically yes. Do you think a lot of players use alliance rank or alliance ID to search for an alliance?

screen size is 1000x1000 for a full-size map

yeah thats right. If you could tell me how i can show two cities with different colour on the same position I will be happy to try and implement that. As for now you have to think about the order you want the cities displayed.

As for now there is no "undo" function whatsoever. Best you can do is clear the map and start frm scratch. At this time the program is "used" by only a few people, if a lot of people would use the program more people would know about the program and more people would help develop features like this. I can only implement one feature at a time so we should be careful what to implement now and what to implement later. You agree?

DeletedUser

Thanks for the feedback Carf

The seach is capital specific. Maybe i could add a check box to specify if you want it non-capital specific. I'll keep that in mind.

Technically yes. Do you think a lot of players use alliance rank or alliance ID to search for an alliance?

screen size is 1000x1000 for a full-size map

yeah thats right. If you could tell me how i can show two cities with different colour on the same position I will be happy to try and implement that. As for now you have to think about the order you want the cities displayed.

As for now there is no "undo" function whatsoever. Best you can do is clear the map and start frm scratch. At this time the program is "used" by only a few people, if a lot of people would use the program more people would know about the program and more people would help develop features like this. I can only implement one feature at a time so we should be careful what to implement now and what to implement later. You agree?

I fully agree, Im just wondering are the actual information on citys fully correct ?

Since i was looking for a player, and im wondering if every box is actually a city, or is it just a coalition of a handful ?

~V

DeletedUser

I fully agree, Im just wondering are the actual information on citys fully correct ?
In my experience the information is correct. If you discover incorrect information please let me know the details.

Since i was looking for a player, and im wondering if every box is actually a city, or is it just a coalition of a handful ?
Every dot on the map represents an island where the player has at least one city. So if a player has three cities on one island the island is one dot on the map.
When looking for a player you can enter part of the players name in the filter input field. So "Xar" and "ndir" will both show my name. Same for alliances. That helps?

DeletedUser

In my experience the information is correct. If you discover incorrect information please let me know the details.

Every dot on the map represents an island where the player has at least one city. So if a player has three cities on one island the island is one dot on the map.
When looking for a player you can enter part of the players name in the filter input field. So "Xar" and "ndir" will both show my name. Same for alliances. That helps?

Indeed, Thank you.

~V

DeletedUser

yogesh said:
Also i was wondering whether it takes player data from server or i have to download data myself. If it takes it from server, i assume it will be updated itself, but if i have to download players data from server, i have to update everyday.

You can download player data using the file menu in the program. This data is stored in a data file on your computer. If you want to refresh the data you have to do a new download manually for each world you're interested in.

I could automate all download activities but that has two disadvantages: 1) unnessecary downloads (the data on the server is updated only once every hour) and 2) unnecessary delays when starting up the program.

I have not yet found a nice way to deal with this, so any advice in this is appreciated.

DeletedUser

Well i was thinking either diving the square between which ever two alliances have the most cities on the island. I don't know if its possible. I not really sure of a good way to do it, I didn't realise that each sqaure was an Island lol

The only reason I want to see both is because then I can see if my enemies are on the same island as any of my alliance mates.

DeletedUser

I see what you mean. It might be a good idea to make a map showing only the islands that you share with an enemy alliance. Because thats what you want to see. I will look at that, thanks for the idea.

As for now I am working on implementing the conquer map in the program (i.e. marking the cities that have been conquered in a defined timespan).

DeletedUser

Pfewww, finally I have something which looks like it might work. You gan get version 0.4 here.

I did not include the conquer map yet, but I did change the following:

- added a line for users that got the "no video device" error
- added resizing of the map window by dragging the edges
- added moving the map inside the window using the left mouse button
- added zooming using up/down arrow key.

Check the program and report your findings.

DeletedUser

Drop Down World Selection --- > '' Alfa '' - Need to be ' Alpha '.

Good view currently.

Might need to put a limit on how much they can move the map, as it can be currently endless. Simple thing i think ?

~V

DeletedUser

well actually not that simple because it also depends on the zoom factor. So I skipped that for the moment but your right it has to be fine-tuned

DeletedUser

well actually not that simple because it also depends on the zoom factor. So I skipped that for the moment but your right it has to be fine-tuned

I understand.

It's a great peice of work, just fine tuning needs to be done.

~V