PELTASTS a new land unit

DeletedUser54843

Propose introduction of the following Land Unit:

PELTAST

Reason: Historically viable, Peltasts were the preferred Ranged Units of Ancient Greece. No, it wasn't Slingers, or Archers for that matter. Peltasts were the JAVELIN Throwers. They were excellent at their craft and their Javelins caused more damage than arrows upon hitting a target. Basically, Javelins killed, arrows (and slinger stones) wounded.

The Proposal:

NEW UNIT: PELTAST (proper Greek name, instead of Javelin Thrower)
UNIT TYPE: Land Unit
WEAPON TYPE: DISTANCE/RANGED
UNIT USAGE: VERY GOOD ON ATTACK, GOOD ON DEFENSE
STRENGTH: 32 attack ranged strength
SPEED: 20 (it's more cumbersome to carry a bunch of javelins than a sling and stones, or a bow and quiver, but the light armor assures Peltasts of relatively fast movement)
BOOTY: 12 (carry up to 12 res per unit, because they're more disciplined than Slings)
DEFENSE vs BLUNT: 14 (these guys would take out Cav with their Javelins with relative ease)
DEFENSE vs SHARP: 18 (Javelins do a good job vs Hops)
DEFENSE vs DISTANCE: 22 (I ain't got a reason for this number, kind of fit it in between the existing unit values)
UNIT COST (per unit):
WOOD: 100
STONE: 50
SILVER: 120
POPULATION COST: 1 (per unit)

What do you guys think?

1saaa

Strategos
my main criticism of this would be that they kinda remove the point of slingers. I mean it does cost like 50 more res and that would stack up for mass building but at the end of the day having the ability to defend well and attack well for just 1 pop seems OP to me. I would increase the pop count to 2 or increase the res count per unit to make it more balanced.

DeletedUser54843

my main criticism of this would be that they kinda remove the point of slingers. I mean it does cost like 50 more res and that would stack up for mass building but at the end of the day having the ability to defend well and attack well for just 1 pop seems OP to me. I would increase the pop count to 2 or increase the res count per unit to make it more balanced.

There's no need to increase pop costs for this unit. A javelin thrower is 1 man, just like is 1 slinger. The offensive and defensive (and production costs) values can, and should be adjusted by game devs, however, this unit would in fact be superior to Slingers in Grepo, Why? Because Peltasts were the in fact preferred Distance warrior type of Ancient Greece! It wasn't Slingers! For goodness' sake, people, read up on the subject and stop defying history. Thanks!

1saaa

Strategos
There's no need to increase pop costs for this unit. A javelin thrower is 1 man, just like is 1 slinger. The offensive and defensive (and production costs) values can, and should be adjusted by game devs, however, this unit would in fact be superior to Slingers in Grepo, Why? Because Peltasts were the in fact preferred Distance warrior type of Ancient Greece! It wasn't Slingers! For goodness' sake, people, read up on the subject and stop defying history. Thanks!
i have not issue with a different alternative to the slinger but from the point of view of the developers i think it would make little to no sense to add a unit which does an existing units job better for little to no drawbacks.

If pelpasts used spears then maybe killing there defence skills and making them a sharp attacking unit might work well. the hoplite would still have a place as a versatile defence and attack unit but there would also be an alternative with a more attack orientated stance.

as for the history part. well tbh i don't think historical accuracy should be the top priority of the devs. And this is coming from someone who adores the ancient world :)

DeletedUser54843

Fair enough, 1saaa. I'm just tired of killing off Hoplites with Slings in the game. In reality, Hops would rout the Slings and their stones would bounce off their shields and armor, with few exceptions of course (hey, everyone gets lucky from time to time)

DeletedUser54843

Just to add about Academy and Barracks requirements in order to build Peltasts in your city:

Research Required: Peltast, Academy Level: 10

Required Barracks Level in order to build Peltasts: Level 10