Phalanx - as a new land unit

DeletedUser54843

Generic land unit, the Hoplites are misrepresented in Grepolis. They are made too weak on defense, especially against Distance attacking units.
To compensate for that, I thought an intro of a elite formation, the Phalanx, is in order.

The Proposal:

New Land Unit: PHALANX
Unit Type: Land Unit
Weapon Type: Sharp
Combat Strength: 34
Speed: 8 (these guys are even slower than Hops due to the sarissas - heavy and long spears that they're carrrying, besides armor and shield)
Unit Usage: Great on Offense, Very Good on Defense
Booty: 6 (can't carry much cause already carrying a lot)
Defense vs Blunt: 32 (horsemen? for phalanx that ain't no problem)
Defense vs Sharp: 28 (phalanx vs hops, bring it on)
Defense vs Distance: 24 (just to go with Grepo's ideology of Hoplites being weak vs Distance(ranged), still, way better than Hops)
Unit Cost:
Wood: 50
Stone: 100
Silver:200
Population Cost: 1 (per unit)

This is the general idea. Time to give Heavy Infantry its proper place in Grepo, similar to how important it was in ancient Greek warfare, which is number one by the way.

DeletedUser54843

Forgot to add the following conditions:

1. To build Phalanx, you need BARRACKS at Level 15
2. Required Research in Academy: PHALANX (new research field) Academy Level: 16

DeletedUser56074

34 combat strength for 1 pop? seems way too overpowered imho, that unit seems like an OP Medusa, that's just a little slow

2 pop would make more sense for those stats.

DeletedUser54843

34 combat strength for 1 pop? seems way too overpowered imho, that unit seems like an OP Medusa, that's just a little slow

2 pop would make more sense for those stats.

Fine, lower the attack value. It's an idea, doesn't have to be it literally. How about 28?

DeletedUser56074

it still makes hops useless and still feels OP as there isn't really a troop that can take it on 1v1...

I like the thought of different and new units being brought to the game, but that just doesn't hit me much honestly

DeletedUser54843

Yes. Hops would be inferior to Phalanx but so they should. You'd need higher Barracks and Academy (and a separate research) before you could build Phalanx instead of Hoplites and the reason is, Phalanx was superior on battlefield, some of the best land units ever.
To me, it should be in the game, one way or another.

Or perhaps, once you reach all the requirements to build Phalanx one can no longer build Hops, Phalanx only.

DeletedUser56074

in a historical way, this definitely makes sense, but just not in a game strategical way..

DeletedUser36697

its in the Academy on Hyper, adds 10% fighting power....
upload_2019-9-13_16-38-56.png

1saaa

Strategos
are you referring to the macedonian phalanx? maybe making it a large pop unit would work. because one pop for an entire macedonian phalanx makes 0 sense.

DeletedUser54843

are you referring to the macedonian phalanx? maybe making it a large pop unit would work. because one pop for an entire macedonian phalanx makes 0 sense.

It could be 8 units of population I guess (fought in rows of 8 or 16). However, we could use an ancient Macedonian unit name, like Hypaspists instead of Phalanx. Or perhaps call them Phalangites.

This is basically a superior Hoplite. Needs barracks at level 10 (or 15) to build, needs more Res to build, needs additional Research in Academy in order to build (Academy Level 16 and Phalanx - a new Icon/Field, Researched)

This would mean that not in every city you could build Phalanxes, but if you do meet all the criteria, you'd build Phalanx instead of Hoplites, Hops option would disappear. Unless, that is, your Barracks get downgraded with Catapults (stone hail) to below the level required to build Phalanx. In that case you're back to Hops option only, until you upgrade the building back up.

DeletedUser36697

seems like you are throwing a bunch of material against a wall and seeing what will stick

DeletedUser54843

Heavy infantry was the military unit type of choice in ancient Greece.

If Devs are unwilling to boost up Hops, then addition of Phalanx (Macedoniand Phalangites or Hypaspists, whichever name is preferred) is required to make the game more realistic.

Tell me, did Persians at Hot Gates attack the Greeks with Slings? No? Why not? According to Grepo, all you needed to conquer whole Greece at the time was about 10k slings. Why? Because most Greek land armies consisted of HOPS.

In reality there were hardly any stupid Slings there in Thermopylae against Spartan Hoplites. Why? Because they'd be more useless against the Hops shields, helmet and armor, than Archers!

DeletedUser36697

Heavy infantry was the military unit type of choice in ancient Greece.

If Devs are unwilling to boost up Hops, then addition of Phalanx (Macedoniand Phalangites or Hypaspists, whichever name is preferred) is required to make the game more realistic.

Tell me, did Persians at Hot Gates attack the Greeks with Slings? No? Why not? According to Grepo, all you needed to conquer whole Greece at the time was about 10k slings. Why? Because most Greek land armies consisted of HOPS.

In reality there were hardly any stupid Slings there in Thermopylae against Spartan Hoplites. Why? Because they'd be more useless against the Hops shields, helmet and armor, than Archers!

so your purpose is to spam the forum with usless BS to garner attention to yourself... you are aware this is a game not a total realistic return to the past...
this is not a wish but a proposal

however a truly accurate search would lay to rest, your lack of knowledge wrt to the sling and its importance to Roman troops

"https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistori..._how_effective_and_were_slings_as_weapons_in/
JehovahsHitlist 674 points 5 years ago*

Well, there are a few sources that suggest that slings were exceptionally dangerous weapons in that period, whether you were armoured or not. Manfred Korfmann in his article The Sling as a Weapon (which unfortunately I can't find a way to get to without using my University library to access databases that require accounts) has a few things to say about them that suggest they are a very deadly weapon. For him and other sources, I'll just recount the things about them that talks about how damaging they were, not neat things like their range compared to bows or whatever.

Korfmann writes that missiles could reach speeds of 100kmph if they weighed 25 grams or more, which is an intimidating velocity to be sure and would do a lot of damage on impact, the equivalent of a golf ball falling from a 7 story building. Vegetius (who was a 4th century AD Roman military author), writes that biconical (oval shaped) missiles were more deadly than arrows to a man in leather armour. Even if the missile could not penetrate the armour of their targets, Vegetius writes that they were capable of inflicting fatal internal injuries. Vegetius was writing at the height of the Roman Empire, so clearly slings would have been capable of killing men in armour for the entirety of the period Rome 2 is set. In addition to this, Korfmann points to De Medicina, a Roman medical text so influencial that it was used up to the 18th century. It contains instructions for extracting stone and lead bullets from the bodies of soldiers."

Last edited by a moderator: