Phalanx question

DeletedUser

Hello,

I have a question regarding the research of phalanx.

The research description says: "Your troops form a powerful phalanx and thus fight 10% more strongly."

The wiki entry also addes to this:
"Basically, this research allows your land units to be more powerful.
This works the same in defense and offense.
Phalanx does not affect the fighting capability of naval units."

The example with attacking units is clear enough, since we can attack from one city at a time.

However, I wonder, for the defenses, does the bonus from the phalanx research apply to the troops from the city of origin, or to the city where I gather my defensive troops?

Let me clarify with an example.
I have city A under attack. I send support from cities B, C, and D.
In cities A and C I have phalanx researched, in cities B and D I haven't researched phalanx.

How will be my total defense calculated in this case?

Shall the defense bonus be calculated separately for the troops from cities A and C, and there won't be any defense bonus for the troops from cities B and D?
---or---
Shall the defense bonus be applied to all troops together from all four cities (A, B, C, and D) due to the fact that I have researched phalanx in the city A, where I host all my defense?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find an answer to my question in earlier forum posts or in guildes. If I missed it, please kindly point me at it. Thanks!

DeletedUser11965

Yes, as long as the city has it researched, the troops get the buffs

DeletedUser

Sorry, your reply is not clear to me.

To put it in a simplified way:
In order to get the defensive bonus from phalanx, do I have to research phalanx in every city where I build defensive troops, or only in the city, which I am going to defend?

DeletedUser

On defense, troops and ships get their bonuses from the city they are defending, not the city they belong to.

On attack, troops receive their bonuses from the city they belong to.

DeletedUser11965

Just for the record, research Phalanx in all cities ._.

DeletedUser

Agreed^^Never research anything else less important then others.

DeletedUser

yes... it is especially useful to research phalanx in you LS and Bireme cities ;)

DeletedUser

I swear to god I once saw an Animal Planet special on the migratory habits of the Long-necked Phalanx....