Discussion Placement of cities (when alliance not close)

DeletedUser

Ideally we want alliance-mates in the immediate vicinity, or at least in the same ocean, to better support one another. No problem.

Assuming there are no other alliance members near me, and my first city dropped in a quiet spot on the map...
1a) Do folks suggest building a 7-city hub around your first city? (other guides have mentioned 6 or 7 cities do a good job specializing and supporting each other)
Or
1b) letting your first city be vulnerable, and have your first CS motor over to the area that your alliance wants to focus on?
Or
1c) do you take a middle road... just build 3 or 4 cities around nearby islands... then conquer additional cities around the area your alliance wants to secure?

(yeah, yeah... this assumes I don't get rimmed... ignores the fact that my isolated area might become prize real estate with some alliance mates joining me here... assumes my quiet neighbourhood continues to be overlooked by hostiles who are seeking more strategically situated islands)

2) Am I on track with this strategy to secure my neighbourhood first, or am I waaaay off base? Constructive criticism welcome.

Thank you! Happy gaming,
Cacti

DeletedUser17103

well if you intend to stay with ur alliance i suggest not wasting time and going straight to your alliance focus point and abandoning your old city aslong as your alliance supports and helps you. the fact is if you have two clusters of cities you're more likely to focus on the one near your alliance so its not much use to waste time developing the cluster there and then abandoning them...

DeletedUser

It would depend on what your alliance is willing to do for you, and if they actually do it.

If they plan to expand out towards your direction then I would advise conquering near by and creating a strong base of operations. If they're not willing to expand out to you any time soon, I would suggest going toward them. If you're in highly hostile territory you could either build two cities and play defensively or take a city closer to your alliance as a fall back.

DeletedUser

I agree. Also, if you are in the totally wrong direction, just restart in their direction. You will end up right near them and they can help you make up for the time lost.