Programming Languages

DeletedUser5

So, to try and bring a few more people into this section, I'm going to throw a simple question out there, and see what responses I get to it.

What languages are you able to program in (don't worry about how much knowledge you have, it could be very basic or expert knowledge)?

DeletedUser

Great topic, great attention bait and I bet many geeks will bite it. Here's my list:

Very basic: (as in, did a few simple games when I was young)
C, Visual Basic

Decent:
Python

"Expert": (I'm hesitant to say expert, but this is what I work with every single day for years)
PHP, Javascript

Additionally, dunno if it counts, but I'm good with HTML 5 and CSS 3.

DeletedUser5

Ah, someone has replied :D

My turn to post the languages that I can use :)

Basic: Don't think I have any to put under this heading. If I start a language, I learn how to use it properly.

Intermediate: Java, Processing,

Good (I'm also hesitant to say expert, because I'm far from expert): PHP, HTML 4 (haven't dabbled with 5 yet), CSS 3.

I intend learning some C++ this year, along with Perl. I will be further developing my skills in Java, and I intend to bring my javascript knowledge fully up to scratch.

I don't think there's a language that I've had a quick look at, where I couldn't pick it up in a short while, if I found out what the differences were, and had a quick practice.

If there are any languages which you think are worth learning, let me know, and I'll take a look at them.

DeletedUser

Basic
PHP, javascript, python (thanks xarandir for this one ;))

Good (Definitely not an expert with anything)
VB and C#. I'm currently learning Java as well.

DeletedUser

(...) and I intend to bring my javascript knowledge fully up to scratch.
(...)
If there are any languages which you think are worth learning, let me know, and I'll take a look at them.

Well, I believe our pals here will agree in this one...Python is infinitely enjoyable and easy to learn.

And about Javascript, I suggest that you bookmark these two pages and go back to them when you decide to learn more:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/a_re-introduction_to_javascript

EDIT: erm...it seems there's a profanity filter here. The second link is w t f j s .com, kind of a microblog about the oddities of Javascript, that is at the same time very funny and very educative. See chrss2128 post bellow for a clickable link =P

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5

I've bookmarked the developer.mozilla one.

You might want to check the link to the other one though (JS Group is one of Pakistan’s most diversified and progressive investors operating financial services businesses in the country.) I don't think you've directed me to the right place :p

Yeah, I'll have a read through them, thanks :)

DeletedUser5

heh, I've had a quick skim of a few things. Seems quite entertaining. I'll definitely have to give it a read at some point. The profanity filter is rather annoying :/

DeletedUser

Guess its my turn to tell about my programming experiences.

In the old days (nineties) I did some "programming" with punch cards lol. Those were the days :). After that basic, quickbasic, visual basic, darkbasic and more which i cant recall atm.

I'm not a professional programmer, but I like to experiment with computer stuff to locate my limits of expertise. Like instead of buying electronic drums I wanted to make one myself using an arduino which had to be programmed in C, so I scratched the surface of C. Unfortunately the drum project has never been completed :(

I also played with blender and through blender I learned the python language. I made the map program to see if it was feasible abd useful, and very to my surprise people liked them.

I also had a play with apache, sql, php, javascript, css and i dont know what more but its not really fun to me, too many languages coming together makes it too complicated for me to comprehend properly. I'm not multi-ICT-linguistic.

So now I am delving into python and intend to stick with one language.

DeletedUser

Basic: The "Wiki" language. Yes, its not a proper programming language really but still quite nice to know

Decent: GML... Game Maker Language. Not that I can use it far and wide :(

DeletedUser

I'm not a professional programmer, but I like to experiment with computer stuff to locate my limits of expertise. Like instead of buying electronic drums I wanted to make one myself using an arduino which had to be programmed in C, so I scratched the surface of C. Unfortunately the drum project has never been completed :(
Oh man, I've ALWAYS wanted to play with an arduino...never got to actually put my hands in one tho :(

I can solder/make homebrew circuits, and I can program...but I never put both ends together D:

One day...one day...

DeletedUser

@Osl112: Yeah i forgot about that, game making software. Did you make many games osl?

@rev: The arduino by itself works great. You write a C-program, flash the chip using an USB connection and you can read on/off switches and analog data input using a DA converter and have it transferred as MIDI data to a drum computer or PC. The problem was having the piezo elements give a strong signal when you hit hard and a soft pulse when you hit soft. It was completely random. You need a strobe to capture the signal and see whats going on. I made a strobe from an old PC and sound card but they didnt survive the hits. That ended the project lol

DeletedUser

Ones I've used recently - C,C++,Objective C,C#, ActionScript 3.0 (Flash)

I once did some porting from Java, but I wouldn't say I know Java really well because of that.

Ones I've long forgotten - Pascal (The younguns call it Delphi these days), Visual Basic, QBasic, AppleSoft

DeletedUser

Well, since I'm pissed off with sorting for my alliance contributions I might as well add learning interfacing with SQL to this list

DeletedUser

I did not wrote any program in last 7 years (except HTML if you call it programming language) :(

Before that, i learned Fortran, C, C++, a bit of java and linux shell script.

Because of no practice, i think i forgot most of it.

Yogesh

DeletedUser

You're the first ex-programmer I've ever heard about, yogesh. Maybe I just don't know enough to say it's a considerable sample tho =P

DeletedUser

I learned Fortran, C and C++ during my undergraduate years. It was part of curriculum and most of research projects involved programming. Java and HTML i learned for because i like designing webpages. Most computers in my college had linux only, so i learned shell script to make my life easier. At that time i was very much interested in learning Perl, but never got enough time.

After my undergraduate years i never wrote any more program :).

Yogesh