Question for experienced leaders

DeletedUser

I'm sure everyone has been spied on by other alliances, but what are some tricks to finding spies?

DeletedUser30111

Wish I knew :/ Spying is such a cheap way to play this game...

DeletedUser11965

Spies are useless, they are only use for what? Tell their own alliance whose getting attack, time, etc. Pft.

DeletedUser25133

In my opinion I would never trust a spy if they can be untrustworthy to one alliance why not others.

Dont like dirty tactics either or people that Run for cover

Give me a square go every time

Scav

DeletedUser

Once in kappa,we gave false info,he believed,we got him.
Doesnt always work though.

DeletedUser

I have a good way, however you need a suspicion of who it may be or at least narrow it down, the more suspects you have the longer it takes and the more dedication you need :(

message me in game please, I am going through the same thing in another world as we speak, but I only have 5 suspects

DeletedUser

the issue is a) suspecting you have a spy and then b) finding them.

Usually, I find it is best to operate as if I have one and thus make sure that real targets, and key targets are restricted to a core 'crack' team of trusted members.

Most of the time spies end up revealing themselves through mistakes, or the info they pass on is not helpful in the end to another alliance. They are also usually dead weight, which means if you remove dead weight you thus remove the spy.

DeletedUser

Spies, in my opinion, are perhaps the most problematic in this game. Granted, throughout history we hear about espionage and sabotage, but honest...in a game? It's actually difficult to find a spy, Ichi. Everyone has their own tactics for rooting them out.

Spies, refugees, traitors...those are my biggest pet peeves in this game. I tend to run such players in the ground if I can and when I find them.

the issue is a) suspecting you have a spy and then b) finding them.

Usually, I find it is best to operate as if I have one and thus make sure that real targets, and key targets are restricted to a core 'crack' team of trusted members.

Most of the time spies end up revealing themselves through mistakes, or the info they pass on is not helpful in the end to another alliance. They are also usually dead weight, which means if you remove dead weight you thus remove the spy.

Boh's got it right. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Never trust spies, if you don't know them very very good in real life and even then there is a very big risk, of false info. The thing is, spies work for his own good so whoever offers him most, gets to use what the spy has to offer. I don't like them, but as told above, it is best to keep the important things known to the trusted members only, untill it's too late for the enemy alliance to do anything with the info.

DeletedUser

If you believe in the honor system it is simple; Don't use spies and no one will spy on you.

agreed. and +rep. Unfortunately, it does not work this way these days :( too many willing to use spies. We just have to choose not to use them

DeletedUser

He is right there.

But meh, I spent many days pondering how to find spies in the earlier days of Rho. The enemies had spies in our alliance and we knew it. At first we took the wrong approach to try and actively seek out the spy. Doing this is a terrible idea in my opinion because it makes a witch hunt of sorts within in the alliance. Yes it is good to have a core of members you trust but it's just as bad of an idea to not trust the rest of the members.

Eventually we took this approach, don't let the spy change your game plan. Often times there is a spy in your alliance planted by the enemy because they are inferior to your alliance. If you let the spy drastically alter your game plan they win. Continue your business as usual. It works, nothing is worse for an enemy to lose cities even though they know it's coming ahead of time.

Take it from me this is the best way to go, by treating every member fairly we were even able to convert spies into loyal members of alliance.

DeletedUser

Spies, in my opinion, are perhaps the most problematic in this game. Granted, throughout history we hear about espionage and sabotage, but honest...in a game? It's actually difficult to find a spy, Ichi. Everyone has their own tactics for rooting them out.

Spies, refugees, traitors...those are my biggest pet peeves in this game. I tend to run such players in the ground if I can and when I find them.

I have no issue with true refugees, especially when someone leaves an alliance because they cannot condone some of the acts of alliance leadership. Traitors and Spies on the other hand...should be shot. That's what they do in the real world anyhow and I fully approve of that.

DeletedUser30111

I have no issue with true refugees, especially when someone leaves an alliance because they cannot condone some of the acts of alliance leadership. Traitors and Spies on the other hand...should be shot. That's what they do in the real world anyhow and I fully approve of that.

Well I'd classify a true refugee as one who joins an alliance with the express purpose of using their support in current attacks. And that I can't approve of. If an alliance was made up of individuals who only used it for support, then it would necessarily crumble.

DeletedUser

just dont get paranoid and spies arent that much of a problem (when there not in the chain of command). u can get little bits of information by tallking to pllz. once u have a some small bits its mostly just connect the dots.

if u play it right u can create an entire whitch hunt without there even being a spy :p

DeletedUser

I'm sure everyone has been spied on by other alliances, but what are some tricks to finding spies?

Guys don't answer this :), i have a spy in his alliance and he wants ways to try and find out who but i'll just go ahead and say it , it's Andyman1234

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well i will answer this question generically, not specifically to your alliance.

1-join as small cap world, 30 is perfect. This cuts down on potental spies.

2- recruit carefully, you should be able to tell if they are good members within 2-3 days.

3- In the event that you do have a spy, carry on as usual, and have a "black ops" team carry out the sensitive stuff. Spies reveal themselves fast.

I am a big believer in using every tool at your disposal to get the upperhand. This doesnt mean i seek out players to spy for me, it just means i freely accept any info that is supplied to me.The alliance that can most effectively use ALL tools will always come out on top imo.

DeletedUser25133

guys if you have say 4 suspects in an alliance of spying then pm them 4 different scenarios and see which ones happen

for instance you select 4 cities which you have spied on and say they have little defense so you tell the 4 people that you are looking to take over 1 of these but tell each member a different city but tell them the same day but tell them to keep it quiet as you dont trust people

then on the day send more spy reports to all 4 cities and see which cities have increased their defense - it isnt a 100% sure fire way of catching a spy but it is a way.

DeletedUser22423

Spies are best neutralized by being honest in your dealings with others as well as being swift and decisive in your actions. As everyone here has said, for the most part, don't change your plans for the spy or you are letting them get the best of you. Good leadership and teamwork will beat a spy into wanting to just be a normal member of the alliance almost every time and even possibly turn them in to good teammates themselves. Personally, I don't employ spies and I don't discuss them inside the alliance as the drama they can cause is the most damaging thing about them. However, if people supply me with information, I may decide to use it to my benefit if I trust the intel.