Beginner Questions, Advice, Info (NO RIPPING)

DeletedUser

Hey, GFX users of the grepolis forum world. I would like to introduce myself, bianh. I play in Delta for the Eaters of the Dead, and I have a presence here in the forums in the GFX section and the Delta section.

I am starting this thread so prospective or learning GFX users (like me and many others) can get some advice and info.

Everyone who posts here must include:

-Favorite font (include where you got it so others can use it)
-Favorite render (maybe a spoiler or link)
-Favorite technique
-Favorite fellow grepo GFX artist

If somebody asks a question, everyone should try to help them answer it. Anyone can ask for help here, and hopefully the rest of the community can try to help. But when users share renders, fonts, and advice, the younger and less experienced can grow and really learn.

Have fun.

My favorite fonts: Requiem and Birth of a Hero, from Dafont.com.
Favorite render:
apophysis0801216.png
Most amazing apophysis piece ever. Fits in with everything, almost.
Favorite Technique: Duping text, making the behind copy a little bigger, changing the color of it to something contrasting(ish) and then gaussian blur it at 8.0. Try that.
-Favorite Artist here: Oliaxel, Benvolio, and Law. For obvious reasons. They are all skilled, helpful, and eager to share their knowledge.

DeletedUser

I recently started GFX and have learned a lot already, play Kappa and Pi, (if you really want to you can look at my alliance in Pi's CoA, you may recognise my style)

Favourite font: Riesling or Defused from DaFont.com
Favourite render: this was a tough one, I have a C4D I really like and a silver surfer render that I will probably never be skilled enough to use, I will post the silver surfer up here in the hopes that someone will be able to do it justice.
displayimage.php
SSNAME_1280.png

if you haven't already guessed, yes I am into marvel characters
Favourite Technique: I am still honing my skills at the moment deciding which techniques to use, what I generally do however is make 3 dupes or so of a render, I will use a splatter brush on the bottom layer, on a low opacity, I will then smudge the second in the direction of the flow, I will place the 3rd copy on top of the original, lower the opacity and smudge with a very small brush round any edges that stand out too much (a technique derived from law's iron man tut)
Favourite Fellow GFX Artist: Lawpaoc for his tutorials and oliaxel for inspiring me to start sig making by making learning it look easy, (it's not lol)

DeletedUser

I will post one once I can :). Along with an example of my style, hopefully I am not too rusty :rolleyes:

DeletedUser

hmm ok well i only play in tau right now. i'm in ExileD (alliance). i started using gimp not too long ago (maybe two months or so).

Favorite Font: i've always loved the font bleeding cowboys, Hawaii Killer, and Dementia Demo (and birth of a hero but thats a common font). loved the fonts you had sploggo.
Favorite Render: this is kinda hard. i guess there's these two elf like renders i really liked:
fantasymaleelfranger.png
femalenightelfr.png
they're somewhat like a package.
Favorite Technique: i've been expierementing with new techniques so i dont really have a favorite one. i guess there's two (this one: http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs42/f/2009/098/d/4/ernie_by_ubilicious.png and http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs28/f/2009/248/2/2/GIMP_Signature_Tutorial_4_by_dduazo.png) and i really like the way the people make them. but the first one is with photoshop (i think) so its a little harder than the second one (gimp).
Favorite GFX Artist: law (of course) and most of the people that use gimp (sploggo, bianh, oliaxel).

DeletedUser

-Favorite font (include where you got it so others can use it)Don't really have one. I try to find a font that is best suited to the theme of the signature that I'm making.
-Favorite render (maybe a spoiler or link)It would probably have to be this one..
82811-Venom.png
-Favorite technique I usually always duplicate the render do a gaussian blur on it, duplicate that gaussian blur and blur it again. Other than that I might sometimes make the render lighter/darker depending on how well it goes with the stock I am using.
-Favorite fellow grepo GFX artist law.

DeletedUser

really? i thought you used gimp. i've always wanted to try PS.

DeletedUser

I think it is great, I couldn't give you a comparison to GIMP though as I have never tried it, (does it even work on macs?). but other people say PS is more professional so I guess I will keep using it.

DeletedUser

yeah i would keep working with it. how much did it cost?

DeletedUser

my dad had a copy which he wasn't using so I got it for free, it is CS5 extended.

DeletedUser

Orator STD

I don't really keep track of renders. Usually use them for one piece and then move on if it's being used for a focal, or I use it too often for it to stand out if it's for an effect/depth/ w/e.

-Favorite technique
Honestly? Probably C4Ds on darken with clipmasks.

One of the BLs.
Beautiful Lie
Becca Lee

DeletedUser

Orator STD

I don't really keep track of renders. Usually use them for one piece and then move on if it's being used for a focal, or I use it too often for it to stand out if it's for an effect/depth/ w/e.

-Favorite technique
Honestly? Probably C4Ds on darken with clipmasks.

One of the BLs.
Beautiful Lie
Becca Lee

Omg, I remember Beautiful Lie, he was amazing.

DeletedUser

Would anybody here recommend any tuts that would be useful for beginners learning to use brushes and fractals to contribute to the overall flow of the image?

DeletedUser

Everyone who posts here must include:

-Favorite technique

Favorite Font : Infected. Available for free download at Dafont.com.

Favorite Render : Don't really have one.

EDIT : Found one.

1e57is.jpg

Favorite technique : Changing the color and lighting of images and toying around with other effects of that sort. I'm also partial to smudging.

Favorite GFX artist : Benvolio. (I'm sure as hell I spelled that wrong.) and maybe Dragonkiller.

~Warlord

Last edited by a moderator: