Quotes from Authors

• Thread starter DeletedUser31385
  • Start date

DeletedUser31385

:rolleyes:
Is music or expression defining something as right or wrong? The answer is no.
If you respond with " but music is good as it...." Ill tell you that's great but it's still not defining anything as right or wrong.

So you're saying a famous philosopher is wrong?

DeletedUser8396

So you're saying a famous philosopher is wrong?

The words of Plato are no more innately correct than the words of an idiot, were we to take the only words' meanings into account.

DeletedUser8396

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.
Plato

I will here now show that music is a moral law.

Music is defined as: vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

From this we glean music exhibits aspects of harmony, beauty, form, expression, and emotional response. Allow us to look at the exhibitions of music in particular:

Harmony: the combination of simultaneously sounded musical notes to produce chords and chord progressions having a pleasing effect.

Also defined as agreement, cohesion, and unison - particularly with several independent aspects.

Beauty: a combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight.

Music grants pleasure through beauty - this is key.

Form: the visible shape or configuration of something.

Can create something with discernible structure - therefore organization.

Pleases aesthetic senses:

Grants pleasure. Again, key.

Grants emotional response:

Can elicit emotion from another individual, meaning it appeals to them in a particular way.

So, we have unison, organization, beauty, pleasure, and influence/persuasion by feelings.

Music grants all these things which, as you may notice, are all goods in themselves. All goods in themselves, at least according to the ethics proposed by Aristotle, are innately good. By this ethic standard, music would be a moral law as moral law is defined as: an absolute principle defining the criteria of right action.

Music could be abstractly seen as a principal which, when considering the things it exhibits, demands certain innate goods and certain right actions (unison, being organized, bringing about pleasure (which satisfies Utilitarianism), and more). Therefore, it is a moral law.

Please note that the above is some insane levels of complete and total bull and I do not accept it, and you likely shouldn't accept it either. But I know Cheater can't prove it wrong, so it's kinda funny :p

DeletedUser33530

Please note that the above is some insane levels of complete and total bull and I do not accept it, and you likely shouldn't accept it either. But I know Cheater can't prove it wrong, so it's kinda funny
I have not read anything but this and this is all i needed to read.

P.S. having now read it, technically it is correct. Let it be put on record that it brings me physical pain to say that as i know full well the "insane levels of complete and total bull" that it possesses.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8396

I have not read anything but this and this is all i needed to read.

P.S. having now read it, technically it is correct. Let it be put on record that it brings me physical pain to say that as i know full well the "insane levels of complete and total bull" that it possesses.

Quoting in case of deletion/edit.

DeletedUser8396

This has gone beyond an off topic thread, I fear :rolleyes:

Not really. We're discussing the validity of an author's quote. Perhaps the last few posts, but you let me handle spam. I'll take care of it if need be. Or you can report the violations, but posting about it in the thread is, as you observed, off topic.

DeletedUser31385

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Plato

DeletedUser18132

I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. -J.R.R. Tolkien

DeletedUser

Not really. We're discussing the validity of an author's quote. Perhaps the last few posts, but you let me handle spam. I'll take care of it if need be. Or you can report the violations, but posting about it in the thread is, as you observed, off topic.
No a pebble. Its gone beyond that.

DeletedUser31385

Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.
Thomas Jefferson

DeletedUser

Hi all. I just wanted you to know that I have just developed an interest in things literary which I think was pioneered by that great american jurist, a pebble, but propelled into the heights of visionary excess by the well know Californian orator and thespian Hassan-i-Sabbah. I doubt whether this digression from grepolis will do my rep bar much good but the amount of personal amusement I shall generate will more than compensate for that.

Finally I have left the best 'til last. The mark of true greatness only ever comes from original creativity. Original quotes beget original genius. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you a real gem

Yes, my cats are restless while the dog sleeps a lot.
This is what has made our nation truly great :D

DeletedUser29066

I agree. Perhaps you should launch a separate thread to discuss whether dogs sleep more than cats or vice ... vice .. oh you know what I mean. The other way way around. ;)