Inactive Topic Random World Map Differentiations

Ra-Ceren

Phrourach
PROPOSAL:

Make a series of approximately 5 world maps that, include larger landmasses and that, are randomly selected for each new world that is opened.

Each map would include landmasses around the extreme edges of the world maps and a few (6 -10) larger than, currently used islands near the map center (i.e. Crete, Cypress, Sicily).

It is not important that the map or, maps accurately reflect the ancient world. A little imagination and creativity would go a long way to improving the game and allowing the players of a specific world to explore their world.

All major landmasses should lie around the outer edges of each map (perhaps, only a few peninsulas that jut into the center a bit). Larger rivers could also be shown to facilitate sea-travel inland.

Lastly, cities that lie on the new larger islands should produce resources 10% faster than, normal and cities on the new mainlands should produce resources 25% faster than, the normal cities on the small islands (But, all players should always BEGIN their games on those smaller islands in the center of the map, just as they do now).

REASON:

I think you will find that this set-up will propel players outward rather than, always squabbling over the center of the map. That gets abit dull and VERY predictable. This change will fundamentally alter the predictable formulas currently used by long-time pre-made alliances that, allow them to win worlds easily & repeatedly by making them more complex (without truly creating a total overhaul of the game we love). Thus, opening the way for new strategies and new alliances to successfully try their hands at world domination.
These changes would allow for a greater sense of empire-building and world exploration by all players & alliances and create a sense of excitement for all participants.

DETAILS:

* Landmasses are added on all 4 sides of the map (no player begins on these).

* 6 - 10 new larger islands are randomly placed across the maps center field (no player begins on these).

* Resource production by cities founded/conquered on these new landmasses is higher than, anywhere else on the map (see above)....thus, creating the drive in players to expand outward and be present on these new lands. At world-opening, no player should be able to reach the peripheral landmasses in less than, 2 Colony-Ship jumps.

* All cities, whether on original small islands, new larger islands or, on the mainlands are also adjacent to the ocean OR, a river leading to the ocean.

* At no point should it EVER be revealed exactly which, of the 5 world maps will be employed prior to opening day of any new world.

BALANCE:

Any real impact on current game features would (in my mind), be purely cosmetic. I do not think it would require any change to any current game features other than, the map itself & resource production on the new lands.

ABUSE PREVENTION:

I foresee no ways that, implementation of these changes would increase game exploitation/cheating beyond that, which is already a problem.

SUMMARY:

The ancient Greeks were fierce warriors, this is true. But, more than that, they were intensely curious (and bold) explorers. They spread outward from their city-states, founded colonies which, in turn became mighty city-states in their own right. Let us do they same. Let us explore the worlds we play upon. Throw a wrench in the system of "Grepolis as normal" and watch your players rise and shine as they develop wholly new strategies with the very same boldness that made the ancient Greeks, great in the first place.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Chephren

Last edited:

DeletedUser29066

I'm not sure I'd support the idea itself, but +rep for proposing something a little different. I know the idea for a map based on Greek mainland was proposed/passed, but a random map might be even better.

Ra-Ceren

Phrourach
Tyvm! I do not often participate in the External Forums though, I've been a Grepo-player for a very long time. I saw the posting for the Ancient Greece map after-the-fact. I dont think that, a map based on historical accuracy would provide the necessary levels of uncertainty to create new opportunities for all players. It would at first.....but then, it too would become predictable. Of course, a map based upon historical accuracy could be one of the 5 random maps. Besides, although the ancient Greeks had a good knowledge of what the world looked like.....their knowledge was flawed and the world was changing fast. Lands that existed in the Greeks earliest times were swallowed by the rising oceans (etc). Uncertainty is the key element desperately needed in this game.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I would consider this as too much for a little gain... Its ok but it will just change the map which isnt a big gain imo

Ra-Ceren

Phrourach
It changes strategies & goals. It forces players and alliances alike, to re-assess their long-used roadmaps to a win and to take in multiple new factors. It decreases the likelihood of successful single, massive, multi-alliance coalitions (that dominate everything) and creates the greater likelihood of multiple regional powers that, are much more equally balanced in strength in relation to each other. And THAT my friend, provides a more interesting and excitement filled game for all players.....NOT just the privileged few in a single massive coalition. So in actuality, it IS "a big gain."

DeletedUser

It changes strategies & goals. It forces players and alliances alike, to re-assess their long-used roadmaps to a win and to take in multiple new factors. It decreases the likelihood of successful single, massive, multi-alliance coalitions (that dominate everything) and creates the greater likelihood of multiple regional powers that, are much more equally balanced in strength in relation to each other. And THAT my friend, provides a more interesting and excitement filled game for all players.....NOT just the privileged few in a single massive coalition. So in actuality, it IS "a big gain."

yes but the codding that needs to be done to achieve that is huge as well :D

Ra-Ceren

Phrourach
Not so much. In effect, they would (for the most part) simply over-lay the existing map with the new islands & landmasses to create the 5 new maps. The only real new coding would revolve around the new (and limited) differing resource production values.

DeletedUser31385

Please don't make the text that large in future posts. It takes up a lot of room and people have to scroll. I will edit it in the morning.

Ra-Ceren

Phrourach
Too big, too small. Too hot, too cold. Isnt it funny how when some try to please everyone, they please NO one at all.

Last edited:

DeletedUser49849

If the idea includes some cities that are land-locked forcing the use of overland conquests, this could be a fascinating change to the game bringing vastly different strategies for conquering, defending, holding of territory. Currently every conquest of another player is sea attack but the reality of history was that cities inland required different types of attack units and different skills.

In essence it would force the conquest of port cities before going after interior ones. The code should be relatively easy to adapt as you already have overland attack modules for farming villages. It also changes the strategy for alliances and pacts. Now that would be fun.