Screen Protectors

DeletedUser18366

Right so here we go, off topic once more.

I've recently become a proud owner of an LG G4 (mostly thanks to an amazing PAYG deal by Vodafone) and have been debating whether or not a screen protector is necessary in the age of Gorilla Glass 3. Previously, I would mostly go without them but one time when I did have one on, I dropped it and ruined the protector but the glass underneath was scratch free. It might be worth noting that I'm only discussing 9H tempered glass here - not film. It seems like most devices nowadays can go without protection and stay in pristine condition when looked after. I've never had scratches on any other device but don't want to risk it on a phone that's actually good. Personally, I hate (with a passion) any kind of case, sticker, or protector, and prefer to use my devices "naked". As well as this, they can never be applied with 100% precision and the tiniest imperfection will get on my nerves every time I pull the thing out of my pocket. But some part of me still thinks that they will offer good protection in the event of a drop.

Thoughts? Do you use a screen protector and do you think they're worth it?

DeletedUser31385

I have a screen protector. I feel they are worth buying. If you do happen to drop it then you are much safer than having no protection.

DeletedUser

I have a screen protector. I feel they are worth buying. If you do happen to drop it then you are much safer than having no protection.
No you aren't.
Screen protectors decrease (well, prevent) the chance of scratches on your screen, they do nothing to protect your screen from breaking when you drop your phone. You need a (good) case for that.

It's totally up to you. I don't use one because I hate the look of them, but I am quite careful with my tech and I'm not looking to resell my phone. Just weigh up the pros and cons for yourself.

+ No scratches --> higher resell value
- Costs money
- Ugly/bulk

DeletedUser18366

Thanks for the replies :)

After less than a day of usage, my cheap ebay "9H" glass seems to already be cracked. The actual glass underneath is scratch free but it begs the question of how useless supposed tempered glass actually is if it can crack without touching any metal...

DeletedUser

Thanks for the replies :)

After less than a day of usage, my cheap ebay "9H" glass seems to already be cracked. The actual glass underneath is scratch free but it begs the question of how useless supposed tempered glass actually is if it can crack without touching any metal...
Hardness prevents scratches, not breaking. Oftentimes the 'harder' a material is, the more brittle it is as well. This is why diamonds are almost impossible to scratch up, but can actually easily be broken by a small hammer!

That said, it's still weird that it broke after a day. Maybe get one from a store with some form of warranty? :)

DeletedUser18366

Hardness prevents scratches, not breaking. Oftentimes the 'harder' a material is, the more brittle it is as well. This is why diamonds are almost impossible to scratch up, but can actually easily be broken by a small hammer!

That said, it's still weird that it broke after a day. Maybe get one from a store with some form of warranty? :)

I'm rather scared about it breaking, despite never having broken any of my devices in such a way. The next step will likely be a screen protector from a reputable company with a warranty (thanks for the suggestion). I've always said I'll never consider a case for my phone but LG makes decent flip cases for this model and I'm under increasing pressure to invest in one...