Security Captcha

DeletedUser

Wow man, I really thought you guys did it to me for messing with you! I accepted it as a funny thing and went on about my business.

Account name: Treachery
World: Calydon

It only did it for a few days after 10/11/2012 and has been quite reasonable since.

Richard

Strategos
Okay. I'll take a look, and report anything out of the ordinary, thanks.

I wouldn't allow someone to abuse the bot check tool because they disliked someone, that kind of attitude doesn't fly on my team :)

DeletedUser12667

You say let the cheaters cheat, but someone that logs on to the account once per day for 30 mins could be in the top 10 of the world and you could have lost multiple cities to them and this would be possible because they use a BOT and they can farm for 24/7 every 5 minutes which is something a normal person can not.

Yup I stand by my thoughts. It is horrible how society lets one bad apple spoil a bunch. Is it really benificial for inno to make me put in some capthe code? If someone is cheating then that person is probably aware of a way around the code . So the only ones who actually suffer are those who play an honest game. I say that like I am sure lol. Honestly I dont know, but I do know that I am suffering due to the cheaters, not only in the rankings but now the added captche crud. And honestly, is it something for inno to be proud of to treat all players as if they were cheaters? Or shall I say, yup we are taking down cheaters in grepo, and all players are considered suspects no matter how long they have played without any complaints.

But then again maybe it is just me and my perception that inno is treating me like I am a common criminal. And instead of actually finding the true criminals they throw a blanket solution that affects more honest players than cheaters.

DeletedUser12667

I am not trying to disagree with you mate. My concern is to the fact that I now have to enter a code to play. So I am suffering thanks to the cheaters. And making me input some code or answer to some security is saying that I am perceived as a possible cheater. You can try to sugar coat it all you wish, or try to justify it with the computer jargen that makes it look cool, but if I was trusted then I would not be required to endure the security . Hince my statement I am being treated like a common criminal.

But present grepo is not the same as it was when I started playing. I miss the days where players enjoyed the game and treated others with respect. And all banter was taken as that, banter even if it was towards one player. That player had a laugh to the fun. Or at least that is the grepo I remember. It seems though that current grepo focuses on being politically correct, and heavens forbid we may possibly offend someone with our attempts to have a little light hearted fun.

DeletedUser2627

Sorry I am going to be blunt hear. "I had about 25 per day" is an out and out lie. If you insist on jumping on the band wagon at least try and make it believable.

You are another player jumping on a bandwagon complaining for the fun of it, they do not pop up 5 times per hour, (90 per 18 hours play) that is an out and out lie. If you wish to complain about a feature at least get your facts correct! Inflating the figures to make your point really does not do much for the credibility for you point.

Seen as you seem so 'aware' of what happens with the captchas you failed to mention the 2 minutes grace period you get to enter the captcha before it forces you to enter it. It doesn't take much to enter it around your timings, therefore either you don't know what you are on about, or you left it out of argument to strengthen your point.

The system is fair, it stops players cheating and I would say rather successfully. I can see the system disappearing fast so my advice is get use to the way it works.

Saska, as senior in-game moderator, I know you have the means to observe every single aspect of any player's account. And you sit here and state we as players cant/dont experience the issues with captcha we complain of.....saying we are lying and inflating the amount.

Do some simple math....
It takes less than 30 seconds to answer a Captcha screen, that turns around and immediately reappears (occasionally with a red banner saying the answer was incorrect), and it takes over an hour for the Captcha to finally accept a correct answer. Presuming a player can maintain a consistent typing rate despite increasing frustration over not being able to clear the Captcha, that alone equates to over 120 in an hour. Now I will admit, the constant reappearance non-stop does slow me down to the point I am probably only entering 50-60 responses before the Captcha finally accepts an answer.

Now then, when the Captcha reappears after about 15-20 minutes of game-play, the scenario repeats itself. By this time, such a play will likely respond slower...and perhaps eventually give up for a while. When s/he returns a couple hours later, the Captcha is still there; but normally accepts a response within two or three tries. And then it reappears again after another 15-20 minutes of game-play, thereby setting off another round of delays.

So while the claims of "25 Captchas in a day" according to you are a lie, I contend they are merely an exaggeration....or more accurately an extrapolation....to illustrate a point of their disruption to playing Grepolis. If you count each round of Captchas as a single occurrence (whether there is only one or several dozen), and they are timed to appear roughly every hour a player is logged into Grepolis, then of course it would be impossible for someone to have more than 25 in a day's play....I guess it all depends on how you count them.

But the fact remains....for many of us, these Captchas have completely ruined our game-play. And I am talking about honest hard core players, not cheaters using bots and scripts. I earned my status on World Alpha as a Top-10 player through hard work and long activity at the game. I devote over 15 hours a day to playing Grepolis.....and that is no exaggeration. I used to play Tribal Wars with a similar dedication. I have nothing better to do with my time, although with all the delays these Captchas are giving me, I am looking at other forms of "busy-ment". When the Captchas let me play as I usually do (happens maybe once ever 3 days); I am online constantly and consistently constructing my cities, recruiting my troops, moving around resources, sending and defending attacks. When they dont let me in, I might be lucky to set up my city festivals and launch an attack or two before I am locked out again....and yeah, I have gotten to the point that if I cant get in after answering 10 Captchas, I leave for a while and come back later. Only to have to answer that waiting Captcha, and be subjected to them once again within 20 minutes to start the cycle over.

So are the increased Captchas really stopping cheating? or are they InnoGames' way of controlling player in-game activity and time online??

And one final question.....where are these 'warning signs' that the Captcha will appear, giving you a couple minutes leeway to answer it at one's choosing? All I get it a sudden darkening of my browser screen and the window popping up waiting for me to finally enter an equation answer it will accept.

I really wish I could screenshot and submit you a couple hours of my game time (something like a video clip rather than a single picture) when the Captchas appear so you can see that the claims of excessive appearances are no exaggeration, let alone not a lie.

DeletedUser23986

Well, i don't get these captchas, no matter how much i play. Is that a bug?

DeletedUser6029

OH, let me put my two cents in on this...

Yes the captcha's have worked. Most of you probably don't remember the spam emails we use to get in game....but bots use to be a problem....a huge problem. Since the onset of this captcha screen, that has gone way down.....

Thats just my two cents from someone who has been around for a while....

DeletedUser2627

Saska, I assure you what I am experiencing is not a bug. It is also not a problem with the browser I use since this appears in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Explorer even after a full cache clean and computer restart.

According to World Alpha's moderator in my last letter to support (Nov 7, 2012), this situation is something that they are aware of and it is quite intentional. I was further told that it is random but some players might experience it worse than others. I take that to mean that the moderators use the Captcha to monitor those players they have been advised of possible cheating or who have somehow otherwise drawn suspicion. Unfortunately the moderator closed my support ticket before I could inquire further, and from a couple of past tickets where when I still persisted after the moderator closed the ticket by sending in a new one, I was basically told to drop such matters after being closed or I would be banned.

So that said, trying to send in new support tickets on this matter will at best get me nowhere; at worst cause me to completely lose access to Grepolis ...and I am not willing to risk it. So what other choice do I really have but to suffer through the Captchas, and occasionally join in the conversation bemoaning them here in the forum only to be told over and over its no big deal despite the fact that it is a very big deal when the behavior of the Captchas has dropped my gameplay in Grepolis from over 15 hours to well under 2 a day even when logged in constantly trying to answer the damn things to their satisfaction.

DeletedUser12667

Huh, I answered the cap thing correctly, so what is my reward:eek: another cap thing an hour later. So I got it correct also, so as another reward I had another an hr later again:(

So again I wonder, I choose to follow the rules Inno sets, but I am treated like I am a criminal who is bound to break the rules. So cheers Inno, I am glad you feel I am one to likely cheat and try to gain an advantage without inno profiting:rolleyes:

DeletedUser32488

I'm not getting any captchas recently since I play 10x less, stopped using gold and given away 22 out of my 35+ cities. A coincidence?

DeletedUser34842

Ok...Having a problem here. I've walked away from my desk for a moment and now the game is asking me to enter the Captcha. Normally this isn't a problem and am ok doing this as I do see the legitimate reason to stop bots.

However; I have no Captcha box showing up so there is nowhere I can enter the Captcha. The only reason I know that I have to enter it is because of the icon to the right of my screen.

Obviously; time is winding down and despite refreshing the screen several times already; there is still no box for me to enter the captcha.

Any advice please?

DeletedUser

the captcha system drops in an icon first as a warning that you will need to enter one soon (a couple minutes before the captcha will happen) and then drops in another icon (looks the same) when it is time to enter the captcha. Usually you can click on the warning icon to force the captcha to happen right away.

DeletedUser

Ok...Having a problem here. I've walked away from my desk for a moment and now the game is asking me to enter the Captcha. Normally this isn't a problem and am ok doing this as I do see the legitimate reason to stop bots.

However; I have no Captcha box showing up so there is nowhere I can enter the Captcha. The only reason I know that I have to enter it is because of the icon to the right of my screen.

Obviously; time is winding down and despite refreshing the screen several times already; there is still no box for me to enter the captcha.

Any advice please?

Had the same problem, the only resolution i found was to refresh the browser then the box appears answer the question then refresh again as it wont automatically load from that point. Little thought here, are you using Chrome?

DeletedUser

There is a bug where the captcha may not appear. If you get errors saying to complete a captcha refresh the page and the captcha will appear. After you answer it you may need to refresh again. We are aware of this issue and are working on fixing it.

DeletedUser

Captcha creators of the oven!
What is this c rap just like that when I log in to be, no one knows the answer?
And yet, suggest anticaptcha crack or hack tools!