Should Euthanasia be universally available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Euthanasia: the intentional killing by act or omission of a dependent human being for his or her alleged benefit.

Euthanasia is currently allowed in Switzerland, but denied in the UK. (Not sure about other countries, but I'm sure you guys will know)

The Debate

- Should we give people who suffer from diseases such as multiple sclerosis, and certain types of cancer which result in a very painful spaced out death, the option of choosing a painless way out, if they are willing and understand all of the terms well?

DeletedUser8396

If they say yes, then do it.

If they are incompetent to give an answer, and there is no cure...then by all means, you may as well.

Honestly, does it really matter if they die then, or a few hours/days/weeks/months, etc? If the loed ones said goodbye, then go on.

DeletedUser

Yes. In my opinion, Euthanasia should be universally available to those who have little chance of recovery, and who's loved ones approve.

DeletedUser

C mon someone take the other side of the debate, or I'll take it :p

DeletedUser

Few weeks ago my grand ma was fighting with cancer,sometimes when I went to hospital with her I saw people lying on the floor,crying,screaming due to pain,people having paralysis,cancer and other serious diseases.Those scenes still come before my eyes and I wonder that death is better than their condition,its like a freedom to them.

But yes this doesn't means that everybody suffering from such diseases is burden,there are cases where people who know their end is near wants to live life like a mad man so its personal opinion which matters,thus I feel Euthanasia should be made legal though iil-practices like murdering and suicide in the name of Euthanasia that can be associated with it fears me.

DeletedUser

I think it should be legal. Not in the way that any suicidal person can walk into a hospital and ask for the 'euthanasia pil', but in a controlled environment.

It's legal here in the Netherlands, and I think they've done a good job in how and when it's legal.
Euthanasia is legal in the Netherlands when:
a. The doctor has gotten a voluntary and deliberate request from the patient.
b. The doctor and patient have come to an agreement that the future of the patient is hopeless and full of unbearable suffering
c. The patient was well informed about the situation they are in.
d. The patient is convinced that euthanasia is the only reasonable solution for the situation they are currently in.
e. At least one other, independent doctor has given their consult with points a-d taken into account and agrees with the decision.
f. The euthanasia is done medically and responsibly.

If they introduce a law somewhat along these lines then I think it should be universally available, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.