Answered Sieges and Defence Increases

Shuri2060

Strategos
When city A sends a CS and successfully occupies city B, during a break attempt:

1. How are defence increases applied
2. How are attack increases applied

I'd sent a ticket to support in the past and the answer I got was:

1. The owner of A's advisors are taken into account. The wall+tower+academy researches of B are taken into account.
2. As you would expect, and if B tries to break itself with returning troops then B's academy researches (and owner's advisors) are taken into account.

However, I'm not sure if the answer to (1) is right. Testing out the simulator for one of the reports I got would suggest a 2k pt city had phalanx researched... very unlikely. I think perhaps it's the academy researches of A instead?

Silver Witch

Strategos
That is odd.

Let me try to answer - Academy researches belong to the city alone. It doesn't make sense to say that research from city A can belong to city B. When u say it looked like a 2k point city had phalanx researched I assume you mean that the defence strength just seemed too high. There are so many factors including luck that i think probably you did not have the balance right. Without exact info its a bit hard to say why this was.

Shuri2060

Strategos
@silver witch

Let's say city A started a siege in a city B (2k pts) and city C tries to break.

Then I used the simulator and a break report to check a few things out. I entered the exact parameters displayed and tried all possibilities with the attacker's/defender's premiums and academy researches. It took me a while to realise, but the only way to get the exact losses displayed was to assume the defender had phalanx researched.

The only explanation for this is if A had phalanx researched and this applied to the siege started from A in B (but I want to confirm this is how it actually works hence the post).

I've long lost that report/example... but the same will be found with others I think.

DeletedUser54192

I believed it was the case that it was the besieged city's researches that affected the troops defending the siege, rather than the researches of the city that launched the CS. I've seen numerous players suggest avoiding the phalanx/battering ram/divine selection researches in conquest unless you really need them, specifically because of this. I hadn't really heard how it worked for the advisors though.

Quick question: Are you sure that all the bonuses on both sides of the report would have shown up? On en95 Nagidos I once got messaged by an enemy player to ask how I had got a level 26 wall, because my Trojan defense token hadn't shown up on his attack reports. Just making the point that not all of the information shows up on battle reports sometimes.

Shuri2060

Strategos
I'm sure it's the occupier's that count for Advisors.

I advised the same exactly because I thought that... but then found this.

I remember it being a successful break so no hidden bonuses I think. I'll try digging around for it again.

Last edited:

Silver Witch

Strategos
The game would not be logical if bonuses could be swapped around like that.

Im sure that in your example its the researches for city A that affect the siege defence.

I accept that somehow in your example there is something that either increases city defence or weakens the attack. Somewhere there must be a factor that you have not included.

Shuri2060

Strategos
You mean B (occupied city)?

Until I get another example I can't confirm - hence why I ask here to get the actual answer. But I did spend a good while checking it, so I'm pretty convinced.

Can't see why it'd make no sense. Your advisors power up your sieges (and not sieges on you).

A similar thing applying to academy researches is plausible.

Shuri2060

Strategos
I've asked for a little assistance to recreate an example. None of the 3 involved had Commander active. No cities except mine had Phalanx researched.

As shown by the simulator, the defending side must've had a 10% defence powerup. The only way that's possible is if the Phalanx boost is applied. I have yet to try it out with Ram/Divine Selection, but I think it'll probably result in the same.

I guess this probably answers the original question now I've seen it twice... but I wonder if this could be considered a 'bug' or if it's intentional behaviour considering that isn't what's expected by most people/support staff.

Screenshots of example:

jEUzHiS.jpg

m7xWzgI.jpg