So.. Where do Players stand on spies?

• Thread starter DeletedUser40223
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser40223

It's a simple enough question.. I like to just play the game. I don't like spies and generally shop them as soon as they offer their services and give them the pasting they deserve just for being rats. I'd like to know where y'all stand on this.

I'll give an example. We had a snitch at Indie. Did a great job for our enemies too. Forum and Skype was compromised and the well known fall out was also very much down to the activities of a player in a certain alliance who was logging onto their fiancees acct (an Indie player) and gaining all the info needed for said enemy.

Highly illegal methinks..

Now I don't go running to support to shop people because at the end of the day this player will only get a crown by spying

Know this: You will have a worthless crown that you did not earn by playing the game in a legal and fair way. You in fact won NOTHING..

Enjoy your false achievement. You shame your alliance who are good enough to give anyone a run for their money without having to resort to such low tactics. If you were an Indie I'd kick you and have you blitzed off the map.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser36743

Getting info from someone is 'par for the course' .... happens all the time and there is nothing anyone can do about it... I think most peeps dont go about planting spies... but friends or disgruntled players pass along titbits every so often... I for one dont break a sweat if i find we have a spy (and we always do) and dont look a gift horse in the mouth should i be given info

Logging into another's account is cheating - no argument about it.... a definite 'no no' and shameful....

Having said this ... there are so many way in which peeps break rules now a days...that I dunno if its possible to eliminate the pestilence tbh..

If we are gonna burn peeps on this stake....there is a long line ahead of this bloke ....that is for sure

DeletedUser37468

If a couple or members of the same family play the game on the same servers and using the same ISP it is not cheating as long as the game mods are aware of the shared connection and approved it

Even if the two or more people are in different teams...friendly or foe...its still not cheating

If one or more decide to feed intel to each other that might benefit the opposing team, again that is not cheating...that is just taking advantage of circumstance and situation, nothing wrong with that and I seriously doubt that it is an uncommon occurrence across several teams and servers

DeletedUser36743

Brir....matey I'd just like to add.... you arent very different from the others

.... I don't like spies and generally shop them as soon as they offer their services and give them the pasting they deserve just for being rats. I'd like to know where y'all stand on this....

You had no qualms in posting the conversation of someone who can be classified as a spy for Indie within EN....ie the person who gave this info to you.... you have happily used the same.... mind you...I would happily use such info too... but unlike you ...I am honest enough to say I am okay with accepting and using info gotten from peeps...

Second whilst from the convo it would appear that we were getting detailed indie plans ala Mata Hari et all ... however, sadly for us, the truth is we werent (this may have changed in the recent past)....kurbads would not have left if that was the case....you would not gotten a single EN city in 34/44 if that was the case....

I think I mentioned this earlier....indie was never a priority...we had no interest in you all or in O34/33 etc....we were only forced to look at you cos you seemed to have nobody else and insisted on playing only with us....and were thus being an irritant in O44... infact this was the very reason kurbads left...he would not move to where we perceived the front to be and he felt he was not being properly supported in his personal war (which was quite true) against you all in West O44/East O34...

Doesnt change what i think of cheats....but just adding perspective to this skype chat you posted

DeletedUser31385

Please do not discuss cheating. Since this is pertaining to spies, I will leave it as is.

DeletedUser19318

An interesting view I have is that in game we have an actual spy action...so players on the high morale ground obviously would never use this I guess.. Paying the silver and have a looksee..
Now in a greater scale life it's self is full of examples of spies... And if you are American you have spy agencies as do many countries... Look at history's great characters like Benidict Arnold who make a choice... Unfortunately the wrong one... Like the spy inside EN ... And are part of the losing team... History reviles them..(most of the famous spies are losers).... for being on the losing side and getting caught! Virginia Hill was a famous American one who was a winner.. So a lot depends on who on the receiving end of the spies info... I have never personally put great effort into spy networks.. But with info offered it is gratefully received and used as needed.. As for catching them.. We have rimmed a few players from EN who have passed info.. But spies in game are possibly harder to catch than real life ...that's the fun and frustrating part of them.
Would be great to have a totally 100% team like QoQ who have no spies... And don't use them...Then again I know their statue was at 67% earlier on.

DeletedUser21625

you seem to be making a case for situational ethics - spying is a mode set up within the game , therefore it is alright to do some spying with real people?

To me, spying doesnt seem like a very good way to enjoy playing a game, if you are the spy. You know you are making the game difficult for a lot of people who you are playing with every day. You know that you are destroying someone's game, and that person thinks you are a friend. I guess there are some who dont care about that stuff.

Grepo is a small world, you run into the same people on every server. People will remember you were a spy on another server. I think more people dislike spies than approve of them.

I know the rationalization is, "people do that, it happens, live with it", and that is true enough, but i like to be friends with the people i play with, and i dont think i could be happy with the person who just destroyed the op i had been preparing for, for the last week, you know? Finding out afterwards just makes it worse. The sense of betrayal is real.

Finally, Kronnoss, you are hinting that the reason you know that QoQs' statue was 67% earlier on , is because you have a spy in their midst? Do tell. Doesnt really matter now, does it?

DeletedUser19318

The facts show history generally reviles spies... I am no different. Top ten spies from Google history only has one theoretical heroine... And she is American ... who writes the history... Nine losers one winner ... I am the same as those odds ... I 9/10 hate them.
We know that QoQ have full inside knowledge of EN... We have player with mod rights desperately trying to sabotage our WW threads/tab... Sad as they are a "friend" as you allude to...but really we all think they are actually a cowardly scumbag.. Go join your scumbag friends I would challenge.
Yes I get info ... But usually third hand through friends of friends, I am sure the player is loyal to the QoQ team but misguided with handing out info. But I do know players don't like cheats and often will help another team out of some sense of misguided morality... Maybe that is how the QoQ spy in EN sees things... Or maybe they don't like the fact we win... This upsets some players.. Or maybe they have a personal issue... Who knows or cares.. Spies are losers in my books, even ones giving me info will never be anything in EN, all leaders here are of higher character than that

DeletedUser40223

Prateek/Kronn,

This player is logging into somebody else's acct just to spy on Indie and pass screen dumps etc on. The EN person who passed on this snitch info has never been asked anything about EN's Ops, vulnerabilities and never will be. I am 100% sure they wouldn't divulge that info anyway even if asked. The only reason this player said anything is because they think the culprit has an unhealthy obsession with Indie and they do not like this players blatant cheating (the same player likes to PM us, looks like 2 different people too as the grammar is different in these PM's).

I know in the real world of war spies and intel are par for the course.. This isn't the real world. It's a game played for fun. Were is the fun in knowing everything the enemy is going to do? Where is the challenge and most importantly who the hell wants anything to do with pond scum like that? Players like that make the game a lot less fun for all. I know a few players, good solid players who will be/are quitting Grep for good and that is down to the actions of this asswipe.

Winning using skill gains respect. Winning at all costs just makes people dislike you.. Now I don't care if y'all say you aren't bothered if people don't like you but that is a load of carp. If you weren't bothered what people think you wouldn't bother with the externals..

I used to like this game but spies/botters/cheats are ruining it.. Inno won't do anything so it's down to the players and heads of the alliances to enforce our will on this game instead. Or there will be nobody left for future challenges..

This episode had impacted on Indie in a big way, it's caused a lot of hurt, anger and suspicion amongst my guys and gals. it almost destroyed the alliance. People who were friends no longer talk to each other and new people who aren't known by the core players here are under suspicion. That will no doubt impact on theirs as well as the others enjoyment of the game. Many will never play Grepo again because of this.

I saw enough calls from EN for Viv to leave after the botting accusations/ban so I'd like to know if you feel the same about your own players cheating? You say you don't like spies but I'm seeing this guy being defended not castigated..

Edit.. Fig.. I don't mind warnings for multiple 'spam' posting as you call it although none of it was actually spam as there was no advertising involved but removing that rather damning Skype convo? I hid identities so what's all that about?

DeletedUser40223

If a couple or members of the same family play the game on the same servers and using the same ISP it is not cheating as long as the game mods are aware of the shared connection and approved it

Even if the two or more people are in different teams...friendly or foe...its still not cheating

If one or more decide to feed intel to each other that might benefit the opposing team, again that is not cheating...that is just taking advantage of circumstance and situation, nothing wrong with that and I seriously doubt that it is an uncommon occurrence across several teams and servers

Google and Starbucks not paying their taxes isn't illegal or cheating.. But it is immoral.. Or do we not need morals anymore?

DeletedUser

Google and Starbucks not paying their taxes isn't illegal or cheating.. But it is immoral.. Or do we not need morals anymore?

So... Google and Starbucks are actually involved in spying ops on Grepolis Alliances? :eek:

This is so...serious. We must send in our best man to sort this out.

It is time to summon the one they call....
THE FIG:pro:

DeletedUser31385

Closed for discussions of cheating. I tried to make the thread against spies in general, but it seems you guys wanted to discuss spies cheating even after my warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.