Beginner Sotw #6

DeletedUser

SOTW #6​

sotwlogocopy2.png

Theme: Christmas/New Year
Size: 400 x 200 or 200 x 400 maximum (for verticals)
Deadline: Monday 9th January 00:00 GMT

Rules for Submitting:

• All entries must be made specifically for this competition (i.e. no pre-made works)
  • No RIPPING! The work should be an original. If there is any suspicion of ripping, we will ask you for proof (.psd, .xcf file etc...)
  • You are only allowed one entry. This entry should be PM'ed to me with the title "Competition".
  • Please include an image followed by the URL link in your message.
  • You may not post your images on another thread to receive CnC.

Voting Rules:
  • You are allowed only one vote.
  • You are NOT allowed to vote for your own entry.
  • Voting will be on a poll which will be set up shortly after the deadline has passed.
  • Please comment on the voting thread explaining your choice (Preferably not just "it was nice"...)
  • Please do NOT put down any names in your voting comments in order to keep the entries anonymous and therefore completely unbiased.
  • Campaigning for votes will not be allowed

PS: I know this is WAAAY too late and I apologize for this. I will try to do my best to get all the Gfx competitions and such going as soon as possible. RL took too much of my time but now I will be able to put a LOT more time into the forums once again. Also I realize that Christmas is over and that New Year's is just around the corner but I still chose this theme because it wouldn't hurt anyone to be in jolly spirits for a few days longer :)

DeletedUser

It's not really signature of the week if we can't do the forum legal size (120X700)

DeletedUser

Well, this is intended as a more "professional" tag competition. If you were to go to any actual Gfx site, the maximum for Signatures/Tags is usually around 400x200 or 600x350. 700x120 is the maximum this site allows but it has been argued against many times as being not a very good canvas to work with. It is of a general opinion that 400x200 is a much better canvas size. You can argue that it's a preference thing I guess, but I'm just using the general rules and limitation I've seen on multiple Gfx sites other than Grepo.

DeletedUser

It will be nice to have your work if you get the inspiration Skully :)

DeletedUser

I sent in mine. It's not too bad, I guess, because I spent more time on it than my regular pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Raptok, nobody is forcing you to enter. It would be nice to have as many entrants as possible in order to grow the GFX community here in Grepolis forums, but I'm not going to change the rules for one person. This competition has run for 5 weeks before this (even though it took about 4 months total lol) and it has always been 400x200 and 200x400 for verticals. If you really want to participate then feel free to do so. The canvas size limit is more than enough to produce a very good tag (signature) so I don't really see what the problem is here. It's not like I'm limiting the size to 100x50...

And as I previously mentioned, if you were to go and check websites dedicated to GFX you will see that none of those websites have size limitations even close to 700x120. They are always a much smaller ratio (e.g. 400x200, 600x350 etc...). The main reason behind the 700x120 forum sig size limit is the fact that these forums as a whole isn't about graphics. So the "thinner" the signature space, the less image loading time required. Which makes sense since people don't come to these forums to see other people's sigs but to talk about the game itself. But in the GFX section of these forums, people are more interested about the artwork and some don't even play the game anymore. So it makes sense to have a more traditional size in regards to GFX in this section than in others. But we can't just change the forum sig limitations in just one section of the forums. Therefore in the SOTW at least we can enforce these sig limitations to give the artists the "best" or more traditional canvas sizes to work with.

I hope you understand the idea behind this decision now and like I said, if you are willing to participate then you are free to do so :)

DeletedUser

Fine.... but I'm not happy

200 width and 400 length is a professional size, it's used by a large amount of artists and if you want to submit something to any competition outside of here, it's likely going to be 200x400.

DeletedUser

Text is not required at all. As long as it fits the theme and size limitations any tag with or without text is allowed.

DeletedUser

I see some promising new faces... It's been a while since I joined the Grepo community here. Two years in Grepo and about 6 months in GFX. I had a 6 month break from these forums and gfx in general.