SotW Season 3 Week 1 Voting

Which Sig Do You Like The Best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
Alright this week's theme is freestyle so you don't need to consider whether the sig fits the theme when voting. Standard voting rules apply: No voting for yourself, no posting your sig elsewhere till the poll is closed, no telling others which sig is yours, no guessing at which sig was made by what artist, no campaigning of any kind. The voting will be public. Also try to remember to comment on why you voted for the sig you choose as the artists always appreciate it.

Entry 1:
3aa66679-3cd5-4c09-ac88-b3fb4f77ccdc_zps6f33ef6f.jpg

Entry 2:
SHADOWPLAY_zps79264679.png

Entry 3:
war_by_skullyhoofd-d5yepis.png

Entry 4:
sotwweek1.png

DeletedUser

Honestly, I feel as if 3 is the only one not cluttered with focals or raped by contrast.

DeletedUser12571

For me, 1 and 4 are a ittle too messy, 3 is basic and while it could be argued that 2 is also a mess, I like the original thinking behind it.

DeletedUser

For me, 1 and 4 are a ittle too messy, 3 is basic and while it could be argued that 2 is also a mess, I like the original thinking behind it.

I wouldn't say 2 is messy, just chaotic and disorganized, if you can see the difference.
3 has a better atmosphere and blending, and that finished feeling makes it stand out compared to the other 3 pieces.

DeletedUser12571

Having seen the stock for no. 3, I'd like to change my vote to that.

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
Stock is the original image, means EQ found what the image was before hand and the comparison was enough to make him change his view on the 3rd entry. Apparently the person who sent in entry 3 made some good changes in EQ's opinion.

DeletedUser

huh, well I just looked and chose the one that I liked the look of, and it was #1, it is actually kinda simple. #4 seemed a lot more cluttered than any of them

DeletedUser

And this is the conundrum every graphics forum has an issue with at some point. While I'm no expert with graphics, I'd say only Eq would give me a run for my money here anymore (feel free to argue that), and this is how I see it.

If we keep letting people who have no idea about anything related to tagging vote, we get oddly skewed votes that don't correlate to the actual tags quality. However, if we don't let them vote, the same 4-5 people will be voting on every single one. So, either way, one portion of the community feels screwed. As it is, there is no point for anyone with any experience to be here, a tag that takes an advanced member on here 2 hours to make, with decent composition, focal placement, lighting, text, etc. has the same chances of winning as something someone just starting out threw together in p.net in 20 minutes. But, if we don't let them in to contribute, then the same 5 people will be here till we all move on. But, with them all here, there is no real reason for anyone to actually try and improve, because you will have the same odds of winning, regardless of your technical tagging skills.

Meh.
/rant

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
Love the negativity. Seriously helpful in that regards benvolio. So what if some people think the entries aren't of masterwork quality, the artists took the time to make them and submit them that counts for a lot. As for the people voting, who cares what their level of knowledge is. If they like a sig isn't that reason enough to vote for it? This is a light hearted comp and it gives artists a chance to show off their work to our community. I'd appreciate it if any comments tearing down the artists or voters were left out of it as that is not the attitude we want for a comp appreciating the artists who submitted their work to be viewed by the community.

Meh.
/rant

DeletedUser

Love the negativity. Seriously helpful in that regards benvolio. So what if some people think the entries aren't of masterwork quality, the artists took the time to make them and submit them that counts for a lot. As for the people voting, who cares what their level of knowledge is. If they like a sig isn't that reason enough to vote for it? This is a light hearted comp and it gives artists a chance to show off their work to our community. I'd appreciate it if any comments tearing down the artists or voters were left out of it as that is not the attitude we want for a comp appreciating the artists who submitted their work to be viewed by the community.

Meh.
/rant

Not trying to be overly negative, just pointing out what I see as an issue. I have no issue with anyone submitting what I see as less than stellar works, they should feel free to, and feel free to ignore my opinion on it. Don't really have an issue with that, after all my opinion is only that, an opinion. However, without someone like myself pointing out what flaws I see in their work, they don't have any real reason to improve their work. You can see this in the CnC thread vs. the rate/10 thread. One gets used, primarily by people that don't even make anything, and the other has died. Probably has something to do with the size of the community here, but I feel that there is also a connection to the level of experience here. If someone with little experience and knowledge wants to submit a sig, they should. But, I don't think, for the majority of the time, that it should come anywhere close to winning. Most of the time, they are subpar, at least compared to several others in the competition. Concepts in tags are wonderful, but personally I think that execution should be weighted a lot more heavily. Again, that's clearly only my opinion. If people simply wanted to show their work off to the community, make a thread in general, or use the CnC thread. That's what those areas are there for, but all of general lies dead.

Also, I'm not tearing down tags or artists. I'm not specifically saying, (purely hypothetical here, don't take this seriously) "Oh, number 1 made by PrimeX is complete trash." I tried to point out what I felt were issues in the tags, that kept them from being better, namely the abuse of multifocals and overcontrast that everyone falls into from time to time when they're starting out.

If you reread my post, you might find that I'm actually indifferent on the whole thing, and only trying to shed some light as to why you see maybe one or two "veteran" taggers contributing. The voting base doesn't have the knowledge to make it feel worth it to put your soul into a tag, and rather to dump 20 minutes into making something you'll only be content with, none of us actually contribute.

Go ahead and take a gander at where the votes lie. You can see where the people who are here a lot, and have been contributing from day 1 have voted, and where the people who occasionally make a post in the rate/10 thread have voted. Not trying to say anything should change, or that I have an issue with it, but I am saying that anyone that has spent any time here can see that first place in these isn't the same as the best tag of them.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, or overly negative. Yes, I know that the sentiment of this post, and the previous ones, are negative, but that is because this is something I take an issue with, and I was pointing that out. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a solution, because I don't. But, it's something that has been an issue with for a long time here, from what I've seen.

DeletedUser

2nd is best.. artistic, chaotic and something really out of the box..
but even after being a chaos it gives a sense of relaxation.. just like those old paintings

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

#1 Just the style I like.
I could not do anything near this standard so dont understand the neg feedback from some.
If they can do better why did they not enter there own work ??

Last edited by a moderator: