Spam Thread

DeletedUser340

Okay, since you guys love to spam, here is your spam thread. Now you have no excuse to spam any other thread.

Oh and keep the spam rule biding.

DeletedUser

iota-related spam though ;)

for rooster and egami cos life wouldn't be the same in iota without them :)

DeletedUser

I wonder what kinds of spam we will get in here? There will be a few rooster jokes, evo banter, people other people hate and maybe rooster will sing a song for us. Maybe the lion king one again.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

=(

I thought this was gonna be a whole thread dedicated to one of Monty Python's better skits. Apparently, Sereton is not a big Flying Circus fan and not big on derailing of threads. I wonder what we'll have to do to derail this one. In this, I think I may have to bow to the master, Rooster, whose skills in derailments has his picture posted on the watch list of every train station.

DeletedUser

well might get Banned for this

Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey,
Along came a spider,
Who sat down beside her
And said, Whats in the Bowl B***h...

DeletedUser

Sereton has been kind enough to create this thread as long as it is still related to Iota, otherwise it belongs in the off-topic section.. so be careful about using this as he may change his mind ;)

DeletedUser

Hi guys,

I wanted to discuss the proper offensive/defensive ratio of troops for a player's first three cities on a Speed 2 Revolt world (such as Iota).

Specifically, I'd like to understand the optimal ratio for the game phase after the initial single-city growth phase, but before a player has a large enough empire to dedicate specific cities to specialized offensive and defensive nukes.

Assuming Morale is at 100%, do you feel the presence of an actively hostile city on the same island should affect this ratio?

DeletedUser

Sereton has been kind enough to create this thread as long as it is still related to Iota, otherwise it belongs in the off-topic section.. so be careful about using this as he may change his mind ;)

I just named my most recent city Miss Muffet so Cenobites wouldn't get in trouble for not being relevant with his ode to the siren of the arachnids. Pretty sure the query on the contents of the bowl is still gonna be a red flag, though.

well might get Banned for this

Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey,
Along came a spider.....

DeletedUser

Hi guys,

I wanted to discuss the proper offensive/defensive ratio of troops for a player's first three cities on a Speed 2 Revolt world (such as Iota).......

You lost me at the part where it went beyond "Mongo smash with big rock." I pretty much rely on my trusty Magic 8 Ball to tell me what to do. Can we start off with something easier like "Do you think alliances should keep the same battle flag or change it up every now and then to keep things fresh?"

DeletedUser

You lost me at the part where it went beyond "Mongo smash with big rock." I pretty much rely on my trusty Magic 8 Ball to tell me what to do. Can we start off with something easier like "Do you think alliances should keep the same battle flag or change it up every now and then to keep things fresh?"

If you want to discuss the longevity of Grepolis battle flags, the determinate Quantum properties of the Magic 8-ball, or the best rock smashing techniques to maximize damage to your opponent, while protecting your lower back from undue stress... please create another thread to discuss it.

I'd LIKE to at least TRY to stay on topic here. So please don't make me de-rep you for pointless posts.

I personally feel that a 40/60 ratio of defense to offense is the best mathematical formula for sustained growth of a city state on an island with active hostile forces of the same basic level of development.

I prefer the offensive force itself to be a 60/40 spread of hoplites and slingers... while the defensive forces should be an even split between archers and swordsmen.

The slingers are required, as they obviously give a big bang for the buck... so to speak.

The hoplites, while numerically less powerful offensively than the slinger, don't fall into the obvious trap of the standard defensive strategy... "Pile-On-The-Swordsmen".

The hoplites also allow me to pad my defensive forces when required as well as being a source of troops that do not require the often rare supply of lumber.

:pro: - lets just play the game people.

DeletedUser

He's a guy. I think.

Sorry for ruining your spam parade, just thought this looked like a cool thread.

P.S. sere can you make one of these in Theta :) It's just so boring there these days.

DeletedUser

I prefer the offensive force itself to be a 60/40 spread of hoplites and slingers... while the defensive forces should be an even split between archers and swordsmen.

The power of the hoplite is so under appreciated. Based on stats and simulating, it's easy to see this is a guy who can run–albeit inefficiently compared to theoretical optimals–as an offensive weapon while giving attackers fits on defense.

You overlooked cavalry which tends to be very important in the early game for farming resources. Farming is never more powerful than it is in the early game when you face multiple demands for resources (infrastructure and unit development). Personally I tend to opt for the "lazy man's farmer" which can run around 140 cavalry and takes a fair chunk out of available population; even at 60 cavalry, population allocation is not incidental.

Having satisfied resource gathering requirements, I would wholly agree that focusing on hoplites and slingers is the smart move for offensive operations. I am not sure that I agree an absolute ratio can be determined between offense and defense, however. The intent of defense is to ward off attack; investing in one early assumes one is liable to attack. This is not, of course, always the case. It also presumes that mutual defense is not an option (granted, in its most egregious form, it would be poor manners to expect defensive support without being able to offer it to an ally but it is an optimal path to growth).

Thus far, we've focused on attack and defense relative to a notional opponent on the same island. In my experience, you tend to find a relatively low percentage of two competent or promising players 1) ending up materializing on the same island 2) opting to get into a battle on an island they've both entered through colonization and/or 3) deciding that cooperation and even joining the same alliance is not a "very good thing." Therefore, while the discussion is interesting, I question whether it has real world applications that aren't horribly marginalized by the realities of players and human nature.

This, of course, would free us to focus more of this thread on our like or dislike of Spam, our own rituals and secret talismans used to improve our success in the game, the correlation between creativity (or lack thereof) in city names and demonstrated skill as a player, useful scripts and derogatory comments used to engage annoying enemies, allies and even leaders...as you can see, focusing on your narrow version of what this thread is about (and I think we've proven it's a delusional version that exists only in a laboratory environment) would be a poor allocation of time and resources.

DeletedUser

He's a guy. I think.

Sorry for ruining your spam parade, just thought this looked like a cool thread.

P.S. sere can you make one of these in Theta :) It's just so boring there these days.

Hiya Kas :)

Is that cos I'm not on Theta anymore :p lol

DeletedUser

I am not sure that I agree an absolute ratio can be determined between offense and defense, however.

Actually, there is a perfect defense ratio and a perfect offense ratio.

The perfect defense ratio is able to suffer the same losses regardless of the offense pure nuke it faces.

The perfect offense ratio is able to inflict the same losses regardless of the defense pure nuke if faces.

I'm not telling you what are the 2 ratios, however, and you won't find it out by looking at my reports, because I'm too lazy to follow them.

You can always do the math yourself tho ;)