Passed Staging Area

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Another suggestion:

Players who are just at the stage of conquering but have not really gotten the ball rolling (1-14 cities) are rather disadvantaged here. To counteract that, I think that you should be allowed to have one staging area if you have under 15 or fewer cities inclusive, and beyond that the ratio of staging areas is 1 staging area:15 cities.

DeletedUser

I really appreciate the input empirebuilder and would love for others to comment on things people suggest. In answer to your suggestion that players under 15 cities be allowed a staging area, I think the idea for the staging area is to be able to use more of your cities in offensive even if they are not on the frontline. If you have less than 15 cities you really shouldn't be spread out enough to need this idea too much, otherwise you have done something wrong with your city positioning (in my opinion). Really this shouldn't come into play until at least 20 cities and so 15 cities per staging area struck me as a fair balance.

To summarise, players below 15 cities will already be protected to an extent by the 15% point boundary and they shouldn't need to use this concept anyway themselves.

DeletedUser

This sounds good with all the revisions. I would also like to see a time limit for sitting there and a time limit from attacking their. I think it would be very unfair if players would be able to send troops to some city hours away someday. Then, a couple months later they end up going to war with the player nearby and because they have station troops, he can just send it right away. I would like for a time limit such as 2 weeks to sit there or it is automatically sent back to your original city.

Also, I would like for a time limit of minimum 30 minutes away from city to attack from. Meaning at that stage city where your troops stay, from there you can only attack cities that are a minimum of 30 minutes or longer away. I think this would be unfair otherwise, as the player could constantly and quickly attack you without being given a chance. And the player attacking you would be safe as they could be a far distance away...

DeletedUser

I really like the idea, but will staging areas really need farms? It would be a better idea to limit the amount of troops stored to 7000 otherwise the units would take up farm space back in their home city, and in the staging area

DeletedUser

I really like the idea, but will staging areas really need farms? It would be a better idea to limit the amount of troops stored to 7000 otherwise the units would take up farm space back in their home city, and in the staging area

They will only have farms to show that there are a certain number of spaces available for troops in the staging area. The building's just there to prove that the food is just appearing from thin air.

This sounds good with all the revisions. I would also like to see a time limit for sitting there and a time limit from attacking their. I think it would be very unfair if players would be able to send troops to some city hours away someday. Then, a couple months later they end up going to war with the player nearby and because they have station troops, he can just send it right away. I would like for a time limit such as 2 weeks to sit there or it is automatically sent back to your original city.

Also, I would like for a time limit of minimum 30 minutes away from city to attack from. Meaning at that stage city where your troops stay, from there you can only attack cities that are a minimum of 30 minutes or longer away. I think this would be unfair otherwise, as the player could constantly and quickly attack you without being given a chance. And the player attacking you would be safe as they could be a far distance away...

I don't really see a need for making there be a maximum amount of time for keeping troops in a staging area because if a player is able to predict a future war, months in advance, and set up a staging area deep in their territory then kudos to them.

The 30 minute time minimum for attacks from the staging area. Hmm, once again this doesn't strike me as necessary because if the owner of the area can strike you quickly you can hit them back just as fast since a staging area has weaker defences than a normal city making it easier to remove from the map. Besides, if a player has a staging area 48 hours from their cluster in the heart of your cluster, you will have a bit more influence on it since you will most likely have about 15 cities all around it and should be able to strike it before it becomes too much of a problem later on. The staging areas are designed to be offensive platforms and so not very easy to defend themselves.

DeletedUser

I am just saying.. this is a big idea, there will need to be some big restrictions to it.

If the player is able to send troops to a stage area, say 30 hours away and they send them right next to some enemy. The attack starts stacking troops on the stage area. Then, one time probably at night or so.. the attacker starts sending troops to attack. Since the stage is so close, the attack may only arrive in a couple of minutes. That alone is too fast, you need to give a time limit for the enemy being attacked a warning to fight back and survive. Anyway, while the troops are being sent to attack.. the attacker keeps recruiting and sending troops to the stage. Therefore, it is possible to keep an "unlimited" and steady pace of troops in this stage. This gives the enemy being attacked no chance to fight back or survive. As they must dodge and survive attacks every few minutes. Plus, if they were to retaliate, they would need to send their troops over 30 hours away... in which that player would be given a fair warning. Making the whole situation unfair.

DeletedUser

I am just saying.. this is a big idea, there will need to be some big restrictions to it.

If the player is able to send troops to a stage area, say 30 hours away and they send them right next to some enemy. The attack starts stacking troops on the stage area. Then, one time probably at night or so.. the attacker starts sending troops to attack. Since the stage is so close, the attack may only arrive in a couple of minutes. That alone is too fast, you need to give a time limit for the enemy being attacked a warning to fight back and survive. Anyway, while the troops are being sent to attack.. the attacker keeps recruiting and sending troops to the stage. Therefore, it is possible to keep an "unlimited" and steady pace of troops in this stage. This gives the enemy being attacked no chance to fight back or survive. As they must dodge and survive attacks every few minutes. Plus, if they were to retaliate, they would need to send their troops over 30 hours away... in which that player would be given a fair warning. Making the whole situation unfair.

Yes an attacker can devote large amounts of troops and put them in a staging area but if they did that then all the player being attacked would have to do is attack the staging area from a different one of his cities.

I checked you up on grepostats and, forgive if I am wrong, your largest account is with 4 cities? This is not a criticism, just wanting to point out that only players with 15+ cities can use the staging area feature and they can only attack players of a certain size relative to them, therefore the player being attacked will more than likely be able to either defend themselves properly against the attacks or they will have enough cities to send their own attack against the staging area which is already weak on defence due to the small wall and would be loaded with offensive troops.

At the size of players that will be involved with staging areas dodging becomes less of an issue since they can usually put up a strong enough bireme wall to deal with most attacks. They would also be able to remove the influence of the staging area from their ocean the moment they spot it since it is very difficult to defend.

I am really sorry if I am not understanding your point properly but I will try to resolve any issues you have with the idea :)

I am not one for putting a minimum time limit on attacks from a staging area since a player could just as easily be attacked from minutes away by a player with a real city.

The fact that I'm struggling to understand your issue makes me realise I need you to explain it a litte bit more (sorry :() Just remember that staging areas can only really be used by large players against relatively large players and so mechanics change once you have about 10 cities. I have nearly got 40 and I'm telling you things are completely different and hectic naturally :)

DeletedUser

Alright, I must have misread the restriction about cities. Thats, fine with me I suppose.

Though I would rather see a test world for this idea before its implemented in any other existing worlds.

DeletedUser

OK, good to hear :)

I you have any more questions just feel free to ask, I really appreciate everyon'es input since it means they read that whole wall of text which is a commitment.

DeletedUser2524

Also if someone puts a staging area next to me. I'm going to attack it. Not just leave it their so it isn't very effective.

DeletedUser

Precisely. If you set up a staging area you are not going to put it right by an enemy where they can see it easily. You will put it a little distance away so that attacks are still close by but not so close you'll alert your target before you launch.

DeletedUser

I noticed you had a CS stationed in your stageing area design, this would let big players move across the map far to easily as they could send a 48hr CS to this staging area then on another 48hr journey to another city then destroy the staging area. This would make the 48hr CS rule void and allow alliances to move to strongly to a new area (1 staging area per island doesnt really counteract this as there are many anchor islands within a few hours of each other). The idea just seems to make big alliances to strong and even more powerful especially if they just pop up in your core and start attacking your world wonder or something overnight.

DeletedUser

[FONT="Comic Sans MS]
1.5.1 Conquering from staging areas One can conquer from a staging area but only if the target city is within the 48-hour time limit of the city from which the Colony Ship comes, not a 48-hour time limit from the staging area.

eg. I have a city supporting one of my staging areas with a CS, the staging area is 45 hours away by Colony Ship from this city. I decide to target an enemy's city using the staging area and troops held there. This target city is only 12 hours away from the staging area but this 12 hours is in a direction away from the Colony Ship's city. This means that the target is more than 48 hours from the Colony Ship's city and so is out of conquest range.
1.5.2 Creating a staging area from a staging area As mentioned above, to create a staging area requires a 10,000 point city (see criterion 1.2) but a staging area itself is not a real city and provides no points to its owner, merely an offencive or defencive platform. Therefore one cannot create another staging area from a staging area.
[/FONT]

I take your point about the ability to attack world wonders. Perhaps I should include a feature where you cannot attack a World Wonder island from a staging area.

If an entire alliance does move into your area using staging areas then it is up to you to be proactive and wipe out those staging areas before you are attacked from them. If they are so deep into your core it will take a long time for your enemies to support them and so there is no reason you should allow staging areas to survive in your area.

DeletedUser

On feedback, both here and externally, I am planning on adding two more points.

1. Players cannot attack World Wonder islands from a staging area.

2. Morale has no effect on attacks on staging areas (this makes it easier to prevent harrassment of the very large players by smaller players who can still pack a punch and cause a ruckuss). This means that if player A (1,000,000 points) attacks player B's (200,000 points) staging area, there is no effect of morale on ths attack.

Please comment on whether you agree or not with the suggestions.

DeletedUser

Maybe, you should be able to cast divine signs on a staging area, most players have temples so even they could cast divine signs on a staging area. Also you could (just like you upgrade buildings) upgrade staging areas so you can hold a certain amount, for example lvl 1 500 soldiers, lvl 2 1000 soldiers etc.
PS: love the idea!
PS1: i don't get why you should only be able to get one per 15 cities, i think it should be more like 1 per 5 cities...so you, with 37 cities would be allowed 7 staging areas

DeletedUser

I didn't include a levelling system for the staging area to keep it simple and also the 1:15 ratio for gaining staging areas is because a player with 5 cities who needs this has made a mistake with their city positioning. The idea is aimed at larger players who have such large clusters of cities that it becomes unrealistic to merely send troops from one side to the other, let alone further onwards to targets. It allows larger players to utilise all of their cities as efficiently as possible :)

Also, I made it so that you couldn't cast divine powers on the staging area since that might complicate the idea even more and most powers would be wasted on a staging area since there are no production buildings .

I hope that answered your querries.

Status
Not open for further replies.