Starting out in Programming

DeletedUser

Hi guys,

Wanted to give you a couple of ideas on how to start out. I would suggest you pick one of two routes, you've either got strict web development, or you've got programming proper.

Web Development includes HTML, CSS, Javascript as a minimum, and to do anything complicated you're going to want to look into PHP, XML and obviously to do anything lasting data, SQL. (usually the MySQL flavour, cos it's free)

'Proper' Programming differs largely because there are concepts that you'll need to learn. You'll end up knowing all the languages above and more, however this route will take you longer. I promise you it's more rewarding in the long run.

DeletedUser

I started out on the basics of HTML a few days ago. Seems easy so far. But I know it's going to get harder :(

DeletedUser

It does get harder, I won't lie. But people always blow it up and overcomplicate it. It's just getting a concept that's a bit alien through your head, then it all clicks into place, I promise!

DeletedUser2795

The hard bit is getting the compiler to work :p. Once you get past that, the only problem is getting downloaded libraries to include properly

DeletedUser

2 weeks ago I started off C++

Very mathy

Just started in Java...

I'm not sure if I need to learn html or javascript. Dreamweaver does like 99% of the work

DeletedUser

I hate Dreamweaver with a passion.. code generators have their place and allow you to focus on the code you want to do I suppose, just be careful that they're not teaching you bad habits.

DeletedUser2795

MEh, I never really bothered with HTML or JavaScript.

DeletedUser5

Generally, by looking at source code of a website, it is very easy to see when someone has used a web package to create web pages.

I found out something shocking a few weeks back, a mate of mine from University was doing a placement at a web developers, and this web developers uses Dreamweaver for all of their websites.

DeletedUser

I do a bit of basic HTML and CSS, but I would like to try to do JavaScript.