Team Highlanders Go!

DeletedUser

images

Repent and i have made a wager on the Highlanders vs Blues Rugby Game in New Zealand.

I have made this thread to promote this game yes...but also to see your opinions on both teams, and to let you know of our wager.

1k of each resource in Sigma will be given to the winner.

I, of course, will be supporting the Blue and Gold Highlanders. After such a turn around this season i do expect them to win against the blues.

Who will YOU support?

DeletedUser

I look forward to collecting the 3k resources from you Sapph ;)

DeletedUser

Highlanders!

No, I don't live in Dunedin, but I have family in NZ, and felt I needed to pick a side.

Thank god I don't play in Sigma.

DeletedUser

Super XV Website said:
The good news for the Blues is that Woodcock is the only new casualty on a list which already has Charlie Faumuina, Brad Mika, Liaki Moli and Daniel Braid.

Tevita Mailau will replace Woodcock and the Blues hope that there won't be too much of a reduction in the scrum power as they want the sort of advantage the Crusaders managed in their match against the Highlanders.

"Their scrum might come under pressure but they manage the situation well," Lam said of his rivals.

"We know all about their doggedness, they keep fighting, they work for each other in tough situations."

"That sort of mental resilience is part of the reason for their success."

Lam and Highlanders coach Jamie Joseph played their rugby through a similar era and they have stayed in touch and Lam thinks that both coaches will have a fair idea of the other's approach and tactics.

"The spirit they have regathered, Jamie has harnessed that and squeezed extra out of it."

"Many feel the Highlanders will break but we have not seen it yet and the Blues have to think they will not crack this round," Lam added.

"This is probably the biggest challenge we've faced so far, to go down there to that cauldron and play them."

"They deserve that by the way they are playing. We will have to be right on our game and the gameplan we use has to be spot on."

The Blues have a number of ways to play the Highlanders and having studied them they already know how they plan to play them.

"Now we have to go and train it," said Lam.

"They will have key guys back like Adam Thomson, Jimmy Cowan and Alando Soakai, they will be at home, they will be on a high after the result with the Crusaders and they will have some fresh, strong replacements."

I wonder what the TAB odds will round out to on the night.

It seems the critics are too scared to try and pick a winner.

DeletedUser

Well,that certainly wasn't the epic game that I was looking forward to.

DeletedUser

Blues 15-Highlanders 10

Round 18-Friday 17th June-Blues vs Highlanders-Eden Park.

Double or nothing?

DeletedUser

From The Super IV Website:

The Blues held on to the top spot in the New Zealand conference with a 10-15 Super Rugby victory over the Highlanders in Dunedin.

The Highlanders scored the only try of the match but the Blues kicked five penalties and led throughout the match.

The Highlanders game plan was disrupted early in the match when first-five Tony Brown went off injured which saw fullback Robbie Robinson taking over at 10.

The Highlanders finished within seven points of the Blues and their losing bonus point moves them above the Crusaders with matches to come in the round.

Discipline cost the Highlanders dearly as they lost two players -Jarrad Hoeata and Aaron Smith to the sin-bin.

Their best spell of the match ironically came straight after half time when they scored their try whilst being down to 14 men.

Blues centre Luke McAlister kicked all of his team's points but was injured late in the game and had to limp off five minutes from time.

McAlister kicked five penalties from six attempts and put the visitors into a 0-9 lead at half-time.

Inspired by long-serving lock Kurtis Haiu, who was diagnosed with bone cancer during the week, the Blues racked up their fifth straight win over the Highlanders the surprise package of this year's Super 15 Rugby tournament.

The Highlanders kept the Blues tryless but failed to show the form which provided a surprise win over the Crusaders last week and paid the price for poor discipline in a tightly-fought first half.

Conceding nine penalties in the first 40 minutes, the Highlanders gifted the Blues 63 percent of possession, relying on dogged defence as their attack faltered.

With lock Jarrad Hoeata sinbinned just before half-time, the Highlanders appeared set for a torrid 10 minutes after the break.

However, midfield back Matt Saunders upped the tempo after the restart, with a line break that set the scene for Robbie Robinson to give the Highlanders the only try of the match.

The setback failed to rattle the Blues, who maintained the pressure even as the Highlanders closed the deficit to 12-10, sealing the win with a penalty in the 65th minute.

Any hopes of a Highlanders comeback were snuffed out when Aaron Smith was sinbinned for a spear tackle on Luke McAlister four minutes from time.

Final Score Highlanders 10 Blues 15