The art of the dodge

DeletedUser20483

Here is the senario: I am facing multiple attacks on five cities. I have two options, stand an fight or dodge.

Fighting seems like a waste. Even if I twart the attack it will just give them bp, and it will set me back the resources.

That leaves dodging. I can spend my resources down to nothing, turn on melitia, and support a neighbor untill it all blows over. My only concern is the colony ship. I don't think they have one, judging by the times, but what if they do? Will the troops that are away come back to fight, or will they just die?

DeletedUser

it depends if you are in a conquest world or a revolt world.

if you're in a conquest world then any troops of yours which return to a besieged city will attack the siege, and if you're lucky (or if you time the return nicely to land before any support) they might the siege ;)

if you're in a revolt world and your city is under revolt then you'll lose the city as soon as the CS lands and your returning units will disappear into thin air.

DeletedUser20483

Ok I am on conquest so dodging looks like the best option.

DeletedUser

An important thing to note with conquest is that once the CS lands you will be unable to take any action in your city. There are two methods to dodging - attacking another city to dodge or supporting another city to dodge.

If you attack, the troops will return home automatically and engage the siege. However, if you support a city to dodge and the CS lands you will not be able to recall the troops (since you cannot take any actions when under siege) so you need to make sure you recall before the CS lands or get the city you supported to send them back.

As Pythagorus said, timing dodges to return to your city before (defensive troops) and after (offensive troops) the CS lands is a very effective way to defend your city in conquest worlds.

DeletedUser

OK, so I can't recall my troops from the city the CS has landed in. Now what if I dodged by sending my troops to one of my other cities; In the city they were sent to, I believe there is the option to send support troops back. Could I then use this option to return troops back to fight off the invasion?

Thrillology

Phrourach
So, if I have troops in my city, and no navy, if the cs lands, will my city get conquered? (with the flaming fist)?
Or would my army have to be completely cleared from my city?

DeletedUser18132

Every single swordsman would have to be exterminated.

DeletedUser

OK, so I can't recall my troops from the city the CS has landed in. Now what if I dodged by sending my troops to one of my other cities; In the city they were sent to, I believe there is the option to send support troops back. Could I then use this option to return troops back to fight off the invasion?
absolutely. alternatively you could send an attack at one of your cities - when the attack arrives your troops won't attack your other city (they have tea and cake or something) and they will immediately turn around and head back to their home city. if you do it that way you need to make sure that the trip to your other city and back will land at something like a good time (i.e. if it is defence make sure they will return before the CS and if it is attacking troops make sure they land after the CS). also, remmber that you will have anti-timing applied twice in that case, once when you send and once when the troops return.

So, if I have troops in my city, and no navy, if the cs lands, will my city get conquered? (with the flaming fist)?
Or would my army have to be completely cleared from my city?
the attacker needs to beat you in both the harbour (naval battle) and on the ground (land battle) - if you win either of those two battles you will keep your city.

DeletedUser18132

Why didn't anybody pay attention to my post? Is it even there?

DeletedUser

troop question

absolutely. alternatively you could send an attack at one of your cities - when the attack arrives your troops won't attack your other city (they have tea and cake or something) and they will immediately turn around and head back to their home city. if you do it that way you need to make sure that the trip to your other city and back will land at something like a good time (i.e. if it is defense make sure they will return before the CS and if it is attacking troops make sure they land after the CS). also, remember that you will have anti-timing applied twice in that case, once when you send and once when the troops return.

the attacker needs to beat you in both the harbor (naval battle) and on the ground (land battle) - if you win either of those two battles you will keep your city.

I'm trying to understand this whole dodging thing.
regarding the portion that i underlined above.
so if i send in Swords and Archers, since they are defensive troops, they need to land just before the CS arrives so they would be attacking the CS as it gets there?
If i am sending in Slingers and Horsemen they need to arrive just after the CS so they would be attacking the CS after it has already landed? How much time do they have to defeat the CS? Is this the 10 second window that I've heard about? It would have to be timed for them to arrive no more than 10 seconds from CS arrival?

Also what about the Hoplites and Chariots, since they are both defensive and offensive if you send in them and they land a few seconds before or after CS would they attack the CS either way?

DeletedUser

In the city they were sent to, I believe there is the option to send support troops back. Could I then use this option to return troops back to fight off the invasion?

I would like to offer a small clarification on this point, that I have just learned the hard way. While there is an option on the supported city for you to return your troops, YOU cannot use it. The owner of the *other* city may be able to, I do not know. YOU (the city under siege) cannot select the city next door where you stashed your troops and say "send my troops home".

I am currently in the process of losing a single city in a world I had just started in because I misunderstood this particular mechanic. My troops are vacationing in an inactive players city while enemy is waiting out the clock.

DeletedUser

Jonathan you seemed to have missed the most important part of the quote,has to be your own city you support for you to be able to get troops back.

DeletedUser

the attacker needs to beat you in both the harbour (naval battle) and on the ground (land battle) - if you win either of those two battles you will keep your city.

When you say 'beat you' in the naval battle, does that mean the attacker has to sink every bireme or only sink enough to get the troops and CS to land?

DeletedUser

When you say 'beat you' in the naval battle, does that mean the attacker has to sink every bireme or only sink enough to get the troops and CS to land?

To land a CS you must clear all the land units and all the naval.

If you have a single bireme or trieme left in your harbour then the CS will be sunk.

If you have any land units left (even 1 militia would be enough) or any fireships then the attacking CS will bounce and return to sender.

I'm pretty sure that 1 LS as defence (tho I wouldn't suggest using them) will also sink CS however I'm not 100%.

Last edited by a moderator: