The boasting beta world news now looking for editors and writers, etc.

DeletedUser13405

god61...there is so much material here I have no idea where to start. So, I will keep it substantive to avoid any personal attacks.

When writing a news story, its is of critical importance to directly quote the people you interview properly or else nobody will speak to you. Thaunit/mango97 both had very interesting things to say about the war and you summarized their statements rather than direct quote them. Big mistake.

Secondly, real journalism is about reporting the facts, soliciting multiple points of view from different perspectives and making the reader care enough to finish the article. Leave your own commentary for the Op/Ed section. Thats where you can say anything you please.

Thirdly, there are some real stories out there about this war. What happended to Kadjayuni, leader of Pheno? He led Pheno for over a year and now, in the most serious challenge Pheno ever faced, he disappears? How about bowzer (the #2 ranked player in beta)? A multi-accounting charge by thaunit? Thats serious stuff and your work on reporting the news so far does it no justice. If you want to tell the war story, you need to look deeper.

The story IS interesting, especially to those of us only marginally involved.

For example...the boasting beta should come out with Issue #1 with 4 sections. The main section detailing general news about beta and the war, a feature story such as what happened to kad told from multiple perspectives (Pheno and the alliances fighting Pheno), the Op/Ed section (you, as editor, get the main section here, but you may also want to ask an alliance leader to submit a written piece per issue) and a Stats section (post a complete list of world war stats). Those sections will take time to initially compile.

I would like to take on the project myself, but I have not got the time. And for heavens sakes, please run the issue through a spellchecker/grammarchecker before posting it.

DeletedUser

Well i've tried asking the leaders fighting pheno but they won't write back maybe I should just do a talkshow where people come in and express their opinions and comments on beta does anyone else agree with me

DeletedUser13405

That is why you rely upon your writers. Let Achilles write the feature story (with full disclosure of his alliance membership) or ask someone without any bias.

The fact that Pheno did not respond to your request for information is, in fact, newsworthy. How many times do you see a story where a line is entered that says something like efforts by the author to reach [whoever] were unsuccessful or when contact [whatever group] had no comment for the story or refused to be interviewed? Quite often, actually.

And what type of request are you sending? And to who? Maybe prepare a written list of questions that you want answered and submit those to the leaders of Pheno for responses. I'm sure if they believe your paper to be legit, they will want their side of the tale told as well.

DeletedUser

Well i've tried asking the leaders fighting pheno

But he forgets about the actual alliance Pheno...Bah boo FOX network!

And who did you ask for info in Pheno? Did you ask our leader who is in VM due to (i know). How about the other leaders? There are quite a few big active Pheno players that would love to make a few comments.

DeletedUser

Tried didn't work but a talkshow I can do I can have people come in and talk and it can slowly build up my rep

DeletedUser13405

Forget the talkshow idea. Its too difficult to do on a message board spread across multiple worldwide timezones. Also, it can degrade quickly into a flame war. A newspaper is a much better idea, as people can read it at their leisure.

And you really need to do actual work on this to make it successful (I know how much work it can be to do it right, which is why I say I do not have the time). Formulate a list of questions for the main section and reach out to people in the various alliances for comment on the war. For the feature story, you should leave that to the writer. You tell them the subject (for example the disappearance of Kad and how it affects Pheno in the war) and let the writer go and formulate questions, solicit responses from the alliance leaders and create a story.

And you absolutely MUST get the Pheno perspective on both the war and for the feature story. As SN says, Pheno players will comment. Ask him who you should ask. Be a reporter and never stop asking questions. Present all viewpoints objectively and fairly (Don't be Fox News or the NYT when discussing politics) and let the reader make their own judgement. Then everyone will rep you including myself.

DeletedUser13405

Alright let me get my writer Achilles where are you

Writers are assigned to do feature stories, generally, on a topic of interest assigned by the editor such as the Kad idea.

Writers may collaborate on other stories in the main section. I would think of 3-4 story ideas and develop short stories around those ideas. That would be your main section.

For example:

1- Beta World at War: Why? Get perspectives from Pheno, X, SES, DH and SC as to why they are at war. They may have different reasons. What does each alliance expect to gain from the war? If they win? If they lose? And distill out the propoganda you get to uncover the reasons for the war. Use applicable direct quotes to add substance.

2- A section called featured hotspots where you highlight the most contentious ongoing battles in one particular ocean. Right now it seems to be SES v. Pheno. Why is that particular ocean battle better? Who from each alliance is involved? What are their strategies for winning (to the extent they will disclose, of course)? What does each see as their biggest obstacle to winning?

3- Disappearance of bowzer. He is one of the top players in the world. What happened to him? His sister is in X. Did that have any factor in his disappearance? Probably not, but it is a story angle to explore.

4- Other Beta events. There are other alliances also at war. I think that TIR is fighting Forgotten Legion. I know nothing about what is going on there...maybe message both alliances with questions and figure it out. Then write an article.

That is just off the top of my head, feel free to add any additional article or angles. You should be working on about 10 story angles at once to distill into about 4 stories in the main section and one feature story. If a story is not ready for a particular issue, then hold it for the next issue.

If this takes off, you will have many people wanting to write stories for the paper. In the future, I would write one myself, but do not have time to organize or write right now.

Whenever possible, try to get unbiased writers. For example, I should not write any story about Controlled Burn (my alliance) or an alliance with which we are pacted. I know it may be impossible in world war situations, but avoid obvious conflicts of interest if you can.

The issues should come out on a particular day and time, say every Thursday, 8 PM server time, so everyone looks forward to seeing the next one.

just a few ideas....

DeletedUser

You can talk all you want on forums but the real talk is in the battlefield.;)

DeletedUser345

Just to confirm bowser is here and happy he just had one off day.

DeletedUser345

I hadnt noticed, but no one replies to messages no one has responded to the questions I ask bar Q who said 'no opinion' but I didn't ask everyone

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Tried didn't work but a talkshow I can do I can have people come in and talk and it can slowly build up my rep

A Talkshow wouldn't work. Just think about how "Audience members" would react, creating a lot of spam and a very messy "Show" :p

DeletedUser

Says the guy from Phenomenon :D
I got a better claim to neutrality than you, a far better one :D

DeletedUser345

Says the guy from Phenomenon :D
I got a better claim to neutrality than you, a far better one :D

You can do the newspaper Z no one will answer my questions apart from Phalanx and redneck woman replied once to ask something and then never came back.