The Defense of Women

DeletedUser8396

Not to say they need it in most cases, women are perfectly capable of defending themselves in a verbal argument, I feel this needs to be written (if not by someone else, then by me). In light of recent events, I’ve heard and seen an interaction the opened my eyes to one particular issue in the increasing popularity of Feminism versus Equality versus Chauvinism.

The issue is a war being raged behind “our” own lines. “Back home” with our “allies” in this “gender war”, instead of going out and firing volleys of attacks toward women in the field, MEN degrade women in private when few or no one is listening to defend themselves. Much like an actual war, propaganda spreads in the home country about how the enemy is vile, weak, and bound to lose. In this male versus female war being raged, the MEN (I have no direct knowledge of females doing this) hide behind closed doors, hushed voices, and a shield of “not your business” and make jokes, comments, degradations and defamations that are, quite frankly, disgusting to hear unless one agrees with them.

In this war, the MEN objectify the enemy. If the enemy can lose the humanity possessed, there is little to no reason to degrade them more. No one feels sympathy for inanimate objects, and thus MEN will degrade the women into something lower than a human. However, these MEN go a step further- they do not degrade women into inanimate objects but something much viler. An idea. A feeling. A sensation. These MEN objectify women into an idea of pleasure. An idea of inferiority. An idea of weakness. An idea that should be stamped out. Can women embody these ideas? Certainly. Are women limited to these principles and ideas listed? Most certainly not.

It is a brilliant tactic formed by MEN over the years (decades, centuries, millennia) to keep women submissive and small. An enemy that feels insignificant will rarely fight back. But this is the age of abandoning archaic principles, is it not? Indeed it is. We are casting away the archaic principles of homophobia. Casting aside the archaic principle of racism. Casting away the principle of unnecessary hate. Are these done? Not by any means- but they are another war being raged. But I believe it is time I joined the war that is Equalism. Not Feminism, not Chauvinism- Equalism. The equality of both men and women.

We have similar rights currently, work place is improving for both sides, home life balancing out, and more, but we continue to hold on to the pathetic notion that we are still in the dichotomy of a society where if you are not for men, then you are for women. Then, in some aimless, pitiful attempt to benefit our social standing, we degrade the opposition.

But why? Why do MEN do this? An easy answer- to make our side look better, like MEN are winning this “invisible war”. But hold on for one moment- do not miss this. By the very fact that MEN degrade women, MEN are retreating. MEN make their side less “noble” (as if it had any nobility to begin with). As a chauvinist, the MAN prides himself on having superiority, power, influence, and being a leader. Let us assume chauvinism is even partially accurate for a moment. If the male is a leader and superior in every which way, then the man must also exhibit qualities of a good leader. If the man does not, he is a bad leader and by extension of chauvinism a bad man. If the man is indeed a bad man, he then deserves no position of leadership and deserves a position on the lowest rung on the social ladder. We would all agree that a good leader would not needlessly degrade a single subject, if he were truly good and just. Even if he felt superior, the act of making the other individual appear inferior even in private to other people the leader finds equal of his status (or even in his own mind) would make him a poor leader and thus a bad man.

If he is then a bad man, he fails at exhibiting the very principles he is using to degrade the person he considers inferior. If we consider that chauvinism is limited by not degrading and inferiorizing another individual, then the very thoughts of the chauvinist defeat the mindset itself. Chauvinism is self-defeating. If chauvinism itself is faulted, all ideas and thoughts basing on chauvinism are false. This then means that any chauvinist must become an Equalist (as Feminsim is equally faulted). Because of this, any degradation of women to be any less than men based purely on the fact that they are female is ultimately wrong. This then means that the idea women are nothing more than a sensation or source of pleasure is faulted beyond measure.

Now that we have definitively shown the glaring faults in the chauvinistic mindset, let me now show the current Equalists why and what they should do and be doing:

So you advocate for the equality of both genders? Good. Prove it. Just as much as your religion or lack thereof defines you, let this mindset define you. Any chauvinistic or feministic idea that comes into your mind, cast it away as it is fundamentally flawed. Any other individual you hear proclaiming a chauvinistic or feministic mindset whether in private or public, actively approach them and show them their error. Any friend you have that degrades a man or woman, confront them. If the degradation is toward a specific individual that deserves to know, approach the victimized individual. The Equalists are the only ones with a leg to stand on, but only if we actually take an effort in eradicating the archaic mindset that a gender can be superior.

An individual you correct may cry foul and say to “stay out of their personal lives”. You may listen. You may stay silent. You have that choice, but that is exactly what is causing this issue. “The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men AND women to do nothing.” ~Edmund Burke. Remember- there comes a point where the morality of the situation trumps an individual’s right to privacy (which, in my view, was forfeited the moment they degraded an entire gender).

Thank you for reading.

DeletedUser

Well written piece

Misogyny or sexism might be a better phrase - the word chavaunist comes from the French meaning patriotic. It is a misuse of the term - aside for that one tiny flaw - good wellcrafted position paper.

DeletedUser8396

Well written piece

Misogyny or sexism might be a better phrase - the word chavaunist comes from the French meaning patriotic. It is a misuse of the term - aside for that one tiny flaw - good wellcrafted position paper.

Chauvinist has a cultural definition of male superiority, so I thought it may be better in a paper judging societal culture. Eh...I may change it, but laziness lol

DeletedUser38224

Definitely an interesting read, and I'm glad we're on the same page about Feminism :p

DeletedUser33530

You could also use what you have told here as a way to show the flaws in racism, correct?

DeletedUser40768

Great job pebble. I just think that with certain jobs like say FBI, police, army, or wherever public safety is involved that the requirements to join shouldn't be so different based on gender:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/chicago-fbi-analyst-sues-fbi-fitness-test-biased/story?id=16111740
https://www.fbijobs.gov/explore-careers/sa-pftprotocol.asp

^Is this an example of feminism by any chance? Obviously this is just the FBI, would try to see for police but I assume the requirements would vary by state anyway. Actually just found one for the army, could probably find one for the air force, navy, and marines too if I had the time to.

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-fitness-requirements/army-basic-training-pft

DeletedUser31385

Stop discriminating too, it is not just women. It is also racial too. People being this way makes me upset.

DeletedUser8396

Stop discriminating too, it is not just women. It is also racial too. People being this way makes me upset.

This paper does not focus on racism. It focuses on sexism. If I want to write a paper on racism, I will.

DeletedUser

Before I say anything else, let me say that I'm fairly drunk atm. I may expand on certain points more eloquently later on but for now thisll have to do :p

--

Interesting post with a lot of good points, but there's a few problems in my opinion. Sexism has gained a lot of media attention over the past decade, but they're only showing one side of the problem. You are doing the same.

You immediately start this post off by victimizing women, and villainizing men. As someone advocating equalism this seems very strange to me.

I definitely understand though. This happens more often. Feminism has some vocal subgroups which have completely besmirched the term 'Feminism' by being so extreme that they basically reversed the sexism they are apparently fighting. These 'feminists' are extremely sexist themselves going as far as advocating inequality, with women having more rights than men. They also always portray women as victims and men as the villains. This is wrong.
On the other end of the spectrum you have the MRA(Men's Rights Activists) who have done the exact same thing, the other way around. Radical people trying to go back to the sexism prevalent in the middle-ages.
This ignorance is the reason I don't want to be labeled as either of the two.

I absolutely agree that there is sexism prevalent in today's society towards women, there is no denying that. I do however also believe society is very sexist towards men in various scenarios, which unfortunately doesn't get as much (media) attention. Men who have been raped are often ignored by law enforcement, ridiculed by other women. Men can be the victim of domestic violence. Men can be assaulted by women, and they should be allowed to hit back in self-defense without every other whiteknight in the room jumping on them. These are more serious examples, there's also things like social expectations like men having to pay for diner. Or the fact that it's almost unheard of that a female peadophile is prosecuted. If you want I can go on with this list of problems which society in general doesn't see as serious problems.
I'm not intentionally victimizing men here, I'm just showing it can go both ways. You hardly ever hear about these cases. When people discuss sexism and equality then tend to default to women being the victims -- perfectly illustrated by your post, it's even in the title -- while we should be talking about the victims in general. No gender mentioned.
Our current society is full of sexist double standards. Both ways.

misogyny and misandry both exist, and both need to disappear. I like the term equalist you coined. And I agree with your sentiment of doing something when we see sexism in the real world. Speak up, try to better society. But be true to your ideal and don't be sexist in looking for sexism.

DeletedUser8396

Before I say anything else, let me say that I'm fairly drunk atm. I may expand on certain points more eloquently later on but for now thisll have to do :p

--

Interesting post with a lot of good points, but there's a few problems in my opinion. Sexism has gained a lot of media attention over the past decade, but they're only showing one side of the problem. You are doing the same.

You immediately start this post off by victimizing women, and villainizing men. As someone advocating equalism this seems very strange to me.

I definitely understand though. This happens more often. Feminism has some vocal subgroups which have completely besmirched the term 'Feminism' by being so extreme that they basically reversed the sexism they are apparently fighting. These 'feminists' are extremely sexist themselves going as far as advocating inequality, with women having more rights than men. They also always portray women as victims and men as the villains. This is wrong.
On the other end of the spectrum you have the MRA(Men's Rights Activists) who have done the exact same thing, the other way around. Radical people trying to go back to the sexism prevalent in the middle-ages.
This ignorance is the reason I don't want to be labeled as either of the two.

I absolutely agree that there is sexism prevalent in today's society towards women, there is no denying that. I do however also believe society is very sexist towards men in various scenarios, which unfortunately doesn't get as much (media) attention. Men who have been raped are often ignored by law enforcement, ridiculed by other women. Men can be the victim of domestic violence. Men can be assaulted by women, and they should be allowed to hit back in self-defense without every other whiteknight in the room jumping on them. These are more serious examples, there's also things like social expectations like men having to pay for diner. Or the fact that it's almost unheard of that a female peadophile is prosecuted. If you want I can go on with this list of problems which society in general doesn't see as serious problems.
I'm not intentionally victimizing men here, I'm just showing it can go both ways. You hardly ever hear about these cases. When people discuss sexism and equality then tend to default to women being the victims -- perfectly illustrated by your post, it's even in the title -- while we should be talking about the victims in general. No gender mentioned.
Our current society is full of sexist double standards. Both ways.

misogyny and misandry both exist, and both need to disappear. I like the term equalist you coined. And I agree with your sentiment of doing something when we see sexism in the real world. Speak up, try to better society. But be true to your ideal and don't be sexist in looking for sexism.

I can see how one would interpret how I villainized men, that was not the case. Had I said ALL men do this, then I would agree. But I didn't ;)

I think women do the same, but since I can't give hard evidence of this, I focused on what I had actually seen/heard- the male side. I did point out later that Feminism is equally flawed in a similar way, to cover any women doing siilar acts as the men I'm speaking of in the paper.

There are many outstanding men and women that embody the Equalist side, sorry if that didn'tcome across :)

DeletedUser

Good read. There are societies,where Feminism is the need of the hour,like many have written above here,there are certainly discrimination against men for sure,but then rate of discrimination against women has always been too high.I am glad that govts.(Indian,not sure about others)are bringing in stringent laws to safeguard interests of women recently.Dnt think we can be fair to the whole humanity ever,so lets fight what is more menacing currently,or we may have to write pieces on "Retaliation of women" in near future.

DeletedUser33530

Indian might run into alot of problems doing that lol. I have basic understanding of Hinduism but I understand the caste system (yes they banned this but they can't effectively enforce that banned) literally says women are a lower form of reincarnation then men are. They also give the justification that if you deal with it for one lifetime that next lifetime it will all be better. I dont want to bash Hinduism but this was a genius system of manipulating people to keep them in line.

DeletedUser

Indian might run into alot of problems doing that lol. I have basic understanding of Hinduism but I understand the caste system (yes they banned this but they can't effectively enforce that banned) literally says women are a lower form of reincarnation then men are. They also give the justification that if you deal with it for one lifetime that next lifetime it will all be better. I dont want to bash Hinduism but this was a genius system of manipulating people to keep them in line.

If thats what you know of Hinduism,then sorry to say mate,you know nothing about hinduism,caste system is about sects of workers in society,Buts thats another thing,lets not spam here about religion,if you want to discuss,you can add me up on skype,and we can discuss,i would love to tell you a thing or two about Hinduism.

Also half knowledge is not only dangerous,its self destructing in nature too.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser33530

like i said i had a very basic understanding which I'm aware doesn't go very far. One of these days I'll look more into it. Still whether or not Hinudism used it that is one of, if not, the best systems to keep people in line that i have ever heard of.

DeletedUser

True that,caste system was made early on,about the different works people performed in a society,to keep things distinguished,but later on it was modified and was made by birth,of course to benefit some,and since then it turned out to be a curse.

DeletedUser

a pebble. Don't forget to clean your room, do the washing up and reduce your IT time in favour of volunteer childcare :)