The Defining Moment

DeletedUser

At some point in our Grepo-lives there will have been a point which helps to define us as players and Delta as a world.

In an effort to move away from the usual pnp we get on here It hought it might be fun for players to share theirs.

In order to keep this civil please avoid pnp and insults

DeletedUser

HUNS & DoA

For me the defining point was right back near the start of Delta when the colonisation pages on grepostats could be counted on one hand.

Smash Bros. (remember them?) had been building up their 'elite' attitude and decided to demonstrate it by conquering a HUN town in O55. Prior to this Doa and HUNs had been friendly but nothing more but a request went out...

SHOCK & AWE

Smashies were in a HUN town with 320 brims defending their conquest (remember when that was an insanely large number?) and there was a call for people to help out from 44. I actually remember sending my mighty 'imba' fleet of 15 ls to help out. The outcome; the conquest was broken, Smashies went into retreat, DoA and HUNS became firm friends and the future of Delta was set.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser634

There have been many defining moments that have helped shape this server for me.
I suppose if Ihad to list the Top3 of my "campaign" they'd be
-When the old Black Leadership split during the DOA/Hun - Black war which resulted in me taking control
-My conquest of steemroller's village which really pushed the tension between me and DOA/Huns over the edge
-My move("sucessful escape") from O55 to O35

DeletedUser

For me there were 2: 1 minor/micro and 1 major/macro:

The Major/Macro moment was when the War with Black officialy ended and we came out the victor. DOA had carved its way out of the fire of bad propaganda attacks of the early days of Delta leveled at us by Blacks' Legionreturns, SmashBro's Aicy, and several other "popular forum posters" from the first few months.

We were, excuse the pun, "Black listed" among the potential FAIL MRA alliances that abounded and we were considered Grepolis canon fodder by the elites that had experience on other servers. (you can find many of those threads and posts on this forum with al ittle searching)

It wasn't easy the first few months for us as none of us had any Grepolis experience under our belt and we were having to learn Grepolis strategy on the fly from scratch as we came here from a different game and at the same time manage to fend off those ultra-aggresive alliances that surrounded us in 55. What they were blissfully unaware of was that we didn't have to learn how to run an alliance as several of us had more than our share of experience and that and beyond that we had a plan and a solid base of camaraderie that has sustained us through many wars since.

It turned out that we were blessed with some of the best Delta would eventually have to offer with the likes of:

Kristopolous
Badnight
Leshuy
Wicked Anti
and many others

But the minor or Micro moment came when Badnight took Mythro's (from black) city which had caused us no end of problems with constant attacks directly after the Protection dropped until the day it was captured. It was DOA's first conqust. The taking of that city direclty paralleled the ascent of DOA that has never let up.

fortyfour

DeletedUser

Great thread idea Badnight.

Defining moments.......

1) As 44 said i think the taking of Mythro's main city was one of the turning points against Black and was one of the first combined operations of the newly formed TH/DOA Alliance.

2) The Rimming of Andrew (Leader of Smash Bros) He decided to help a little Alliance called Delta Squadron against some of our members, he paid the ultimate price for then sheltering their leader, Twoswords, when it collapsed.

This started the war with Smash Bros and began the Rise of the Hun.

3) The Hun Navy was formed with Evensmang as our first Naval Commander. Every Hun contributed to the upkeep and creation of the Navy which was unmatched in power in the early months and was responsible for saving many Hun cities. This was primarily responsible for breaking the conquest of GOAChamp which was a pivotal moment in the war against Delta Squadron and Smash Bros.

4) THE defining moment has to be the creation of Deltas' first and only Super Power (TH/DOA). Credit must go to Fortyfour and Sprakyste for a brilliant diplomatic move that has shaped the outcome of much of Delta's oceans.

Will there be any more........

Sunwolf
General of the Huns

DeletedUser

I agree totally Sumwolf,

There has been much discussion, talk, and arguments over the DOA/Huns alliance superpower and that partnership has beyond a shadow of a doubt been one of the most important events on delta. I would argue, THE most important event on Delta- but then I'm bias.

The odds of two large powerful alliances having the friendship and trust that has cemented that particular alliance is rare. I can honestly say I have never once worried over, or doubted the intentions of our allies. The respect I've been given and returned to Sparkye and Sunwolf without any incidents or problems is seldom seen in this type of ego heavy enviornment.

The fact that our alliance developed in a such an organic manner without any fear or power struggle involved made it work so well. Even though we were and still are often mentioned in the same breath, The huns and DOA have managed to create distinctive histories and presence individually on each side of Delta. It would be hard to reproduce on most servers I think.

DeletedUser

History is always written by the winners ;)

Definitely brotherhood between Huns and DoA is something that had very strong impact on Delta. I strongly believe that if LoC and TFP had DoA/Huns leaders, then everything would look different. This trust band is really impressive between both alliances. However as a sceptic person I must admit that I dont see it as a fruit of friendship, trust etc but as the effect of smart politic - trust and friendship came after first successes. If it wasnt working for both teams then they would not walk together...

Anyway its very hard to find that 1 particular moment - all points are debatable. To be honest I dont know much about stuff you are talking about, because at that time I wasnt even here or maybe just started. However if I agreed with any of the posted above points I would say that after them nothing would ever change the shape of Delta. I believe there were many moments after the initial months that could have changed it a lot.

From my own local perspective that would be last TFP war for example. The deciding moment could me my and scarsymmetry failed conversation on msn with tibs and H17waii, after which I had no doubts that I dont want to work with this man (read tibs). There are few reason I think that it was one of the most important moments for Delta.

Merge of Pergamum and Vanguard bonded together most of the best players in the South/East Delta if not in Delta. Other great players were spread in Rainmakers and mainly TFP (Tegi, Aquinorius,H17waii etc). If Pergamum merged with TFP, then my war/diplomatic actions could bring Rainmakers to us not to DoA. Rainmakers+Pergamum+TFP - that power would definitely be able to achieve great things. With pressure made by EotD and God-Kings (minimal but always occupying some players) and oc55 in a direct danger DoA would be in serious troubles.

Pergs/RMs team took the whole ocean, what if we moved West instead of East? How would oceans 65/55 take pressure of oc 66/67/76/75/65 combined together?
Do you think DoA would stand firm against Tegi(no5 BPs)+Dawgski (no4 ABPs)+Grom(no7 ABPs)+andyhill(no23 ABPs)+umdupas(no19 ABPs)+H17waii(no10 BPs) +aquinorius+heartek+balourbrox etc etc
(btw dawgski and me are 2 top DoA ABPs players - not to brag about it just prove my point)

I believe that would be hell of a fight that could potentialy be a decisive battle for DoA existance but we will never know that.

At the end I want to say that I have lot of respect to DoA and The Huns, to Fortyfour as well, but I also think that our small group here is an elite batalion able to achieve big things. These guys are the best team I could ever imagine to play with and for me personally the turning point was when Vanguard merged with Pergamum, when I met Dawgski and we started our little BP competition ;)

DeletedUser12311

Here is my Timeline in Grepolis

Back in the starting days, while we are all racing to get to Conquest I joined the Mighty MRA Dynasty! Yes, I was the O35 Leader. We were awful, we divided each Ocean into groups and assigned a Group Leader (My Idea) I messaged all the Group Leaders they messaged their Group and the info came back to me, which went to the leader Fetus (Myself and Dysen may be the only ones who remember him) then Fetus and Namro would asses where each ocean was too.

This was wonderful until attacked by the mighty NaTaRaJa! We soon abandoned Dynasty and the Leaders formed Delian League Expedition, this is where we lost our dear friend Fetus and Namro and Merged with Dogs of War!

Then I went into Vacation mode and when I returned we were falling into destruction. Dysen left us for NaTaRaJa along with many others.

I found myself struggling along to make the 6000 point minimun while drifting from alliance to alliance but when I finally made it, it was changed to 20 000 pts and 10 000 BP.

My heart sunk, I found a way out though and joined thier allies Imperium Magnus. (This is my Defining moment) I learned what a real alliance was made of. Here I met my good friend nkh1945 and made my way toward O46 trying to get to their Core... but nevermade it before the Huns destroyed us and Leadership magically gave up, and left nkh1945 as the only Leader remaining, he couldn't handle all our faces looking to him he wasn't cut out to lead us like we had been by Olympidorus.

We merged with LoC around the time when NaTaRaJa fell. I didn't like it there and then the best thing happened, Nwinder had a bad day and said he was giving up and we were going to merge into EotD, this never happened because he had too many people willing to stick with him(I left immediately to join my friend Dysen).

Here in EotD I now reside with many friends, fighting my way to the top, planing in my own head the downfall of the Huns like many others :p only mine is full proof, also like everyone elses :p

Oh and G.R.O.M. In my times with Dynasty I was friends with Dawgski too. I still remember me and him arguing and then him sending an attack and recalling it saying they were full of gun powder :p Good times ;)

DeletedUser

Ah wow I would say there was two major defining moments in my journey in Delta through out the year. The first major one was when I was acting military commander of the rightfully deceased HWC. Sparticuster was the feared warlord in the south and I spent a week writing a play in which myself and Suleiman the Great and myself both landed CSs in Spart's cities in 34 simultaneously while he was online and and Nat's supports were heading to a decoy target. This was my first co-op with dysen and fearlss of DoW and Atlantis at the time who would later form the powerful triumverate that would later spawn the Eaters of the Dead. We would have held the cities if it wasnt for the poor and selfish response from the majority of HWC save a few that would later form EotD and Fizpan38 now a Hun.

The second defining moment was the abandonment of Nataraja by its leaders and the defining decision that would sign our fate in blood forever, and battle in the game of grepolis has never been more glorious. Refusing to assimilate with the dominant aggressors inching into our territory nor tolerating the offensive taunts and recruiting attempts of our members we immediately exploded into a vehement fury slaying enemy positions in our territory and declared our intentions with full force never looking back. We endured spies loss of critical players, and outnumbered greatly we continue to persevere with a positive attitude taking pride in every accomplishment and victory against overwhelming odds despite our losses. We endure to make the Hun advance as costly and bloody as possible the rewards of that far exceed any gained through submission or assimilation.

A toast to all of you true warriors out there enemy and friend and you know who you are. (SW)

DeletedUser

For me, it was with the leader of PG, Lord Colon, lied to Spartan Elite and convinced them that I was starting a war between the two alliances days after I joined their alliance after leaving PG. Several people, including Thunder Army (then leader of SE) sided with me. This lead to the eventual downfall of PG - as his #2 Nickossa joined me in the creation of a new alliance Legion of Light, bringing the entire sector of PG with him into our new alliance. Were it not for Nickossa, VHkixYT, and PDizzle1973 I would have just quit the game below 50,000 points. Instead the four of us created a strong and powerful alliance, and still - in a small way, exist today, nearly one year later.

Thunder Army would eventually quit the game, however, my relationship with SE would stay strong and still is to this day.

DeletedUser

Hello delta world...I believe this is my first post addressing delta and representing a mass of players namely Harbingers...

First of all i would like to thank badnight for such a good idea...+rep to you mate...:)

Now let me introduce myself before i make a relevant post here...
I am one of the leaders of Harbingers...I have been around for quite a long time and have regularly followed most of the posts on this external forums...i appreciate all the contributors to this forum...whichever side you are on or whatever your posts convey, i value your dedication to your alliance...though i am not a promoter of posts disrespecting or bullying others, people who make them are surely present around and i believe that the best thing to do is to just overlook their posts and move on...

So now coming back to this topic, as i said i have been around for quite a long time and hence have had multiple moments which have defined my journey in grepolis. I will post them in the order of past to present.

1. I started this game in Ocean 35 as a member of the biggert MRA, Fallen Angels, which fell apart from its own weight. Then i joined Dynasty. I do remember Fetus as its leader and Namro as its military commander and i also remember serving under komaster as our Ocean 35 military officer. All was going well until that eventful merge with NaTaRaJa which was deception at its finest. They left their spies and inactives in us and reformed NaTaRaJa taking back all our intel and then turning on us. Their was a lot of chaos going around and some of our finest fighters (namely dwagski) left Dynasty. I believe it was then that Fetus and Namro decided to leave and form Delian League Expedition with their most trusted members. But my first defining moment came when Dysen saw my potential in there and put out a hand of friendship. This provided me impetus to start contributing more towards alliance. And i will be always thankful to him for being my mentor in my initial days.

2. Later Delian League Expedition merged into Dogs Of War. Here too Dysen pulled for me and got me internal rights from Fearlss. This also set out a path for good friendship between me and Fearlss. But alas when all these events were happening, i lost my only city to a member of Nats. I restarted in Ocean 48. It was then that I was taken up into newly formed Harbingers by Urvshabon. My next defining moment came 2 days after my joining when Urvshabon entrusted me with some responsibility and upon my success in it, he provided me with active administrative powers. Though i was naive in such a responsible position, i learnt the ropes with guidance of Urvshabon and Mighty Monarch and under protection of Petronious. I am ever thankful to you to provide me this opportunity which has helped me to acquire skills which in turn helped all our members. I am also thankful to all my co leaders for making this duty an enjoyable experience. And last but not the least, i am thankful to all my members for backing me always with all the decisions.

3. My next defining moment as a leader came during our war with Black Knights when we approached badnight through spariate and streetking with an allies request. Since that day onwards we have never looked back. We have worked with IoA on numerous occasions and all i can say is that they are the best allies. I am honored to have you on our side and hope that we can leave a mark of friendship between our alliances on delta.
We have not had much experience of working with our other allies, but i am certainly looking forward for that opportunity.

Well that is about it. These were the defining moments that helped me carve my journey in delta.:)

DeletedUser3288

wow the nostalgia!! (SP)

I do think the reason the hun + doa alliance worked is because me and 44 used to spoon every night (miss you baby!)

on a more serious note, there have been a few defining moments on the server for me.

1. Start of the war with smash bro's and crew (black i think)
At the beginning of the war i was around number 50 on server, having just got my 3rd city. At the end of the war i was number 1 with the most bp on server (all APB and a few from defending conquests). This came about due to my rapid expansion between oceans. I think between me and a few of the hun elites were the 1st to do 48 hour cs's across oceans to move ourselves around our enemies etc. With attacks on both flanks securing our ultimate victory.

2. My decision to quit the game
When i quit as above i was number 1 in points and bp / apb, i had just had a conversation with sparkyste about what was happening now that the war with smash or whatever they formed into had finished, and he talked about looking into possibly ocean 34 and 35, right beside my main cities. I had a bit of a think about it, but ultimately decided to give up the game as it was getting pretty easy as i had bigger LS fleets on my own that most of the alliances in the game at that time. I gave away my cities and left my account to be rimmed (in heinseight(sp) this was a big mistake and i should have gone into vacation mode).
Now i do think this makes me sound a little big headed, however i think (and i dont think many people would disagree) that at the time when i quit, had i pushed into 34 and 35 they would not be the strongholds that they are now for their alliances.

3. Colony island in EOTD territory
This will probably be the idea that kill off eotd 34 eventually (credit goes to dingy), started a little rocky for me as i was still fighting in 46 and didnt care about it that much, but since everyone started getting involved we have been pushing further and further and not looked back.

I see only good times ahead for TH + DOA

edit - also funniest moment on grepolis

i dont know if a lot of the old school huns would remember but i did a double conquest on Elbereth of smash bros and during planning couldnt figure out where they were from to get a good time to cs them (as both cs's were 7h travel time) and decided to message her, long story short, 1 day she basically invited me out to visit her, telling me she lived in romania, then that night i cs'd her and she told me never to speak to her again.... Upon reflection, this was a bad idea, as looking at her pic that was ingame she was fit, and we all know romanians are dirty.

DeletedUser3613

he he he dan you have inspired me as a long dead poster on delta to share this with you

I was the leader of a dodgy MRA called the royal army i held back on diplomacy as the world was rough in the early days with black and smash bros kicking around, then one day i received a message from a very nice player calling himself forty :p

He spoke of friendship and a future world that involved us being friends, so me and my merry band of noobs continued our relentless noob ways we attacked with swords and berimes and generaly noobed around.

Then one day a feared forum poster and leader of BLACK contacted me it appeared that daz and his royal army where going to be integral parts in the BLACK/Smash Bros domination of this world, only problem is daz had made friends with forty now and being a good honest english man i decided to share said plan with him :p

...........the rest is history and it appears that although my time in delta was short the legacy lives on :)

Special metion to badnight who runs a mean alliance and is a great guy

Aicy

Strategos
Sorry I haven't read this thread at all (I'll go through it later...), but I have seen Smash Bros mentioned a couple of times and would like to add my opinion.

I personally, think the defining moment was when I left Delta. I don't mean to be arrogant or anything, but although I thought he was good at the time the leader I left in charge of Smash Bros was not competent. He recruited people out of strategic position (Which the other members had to waste lots of troops and resources on keeping alive). He made very vague attack plans that just didn't pan out. I don't know for certain about this, but it is also said he ruined most of the diplomatic relations I had set up in order to keep Smash Bros secure. Also, as a general leader of the alliance my members told me he wasn't very charismatic and confident... The complete opposite of which I was doing, which for those who do not know was posting endless PnPs and such on the public forums on how SB was boss and also running regular in-alliance competitions and such.

I honestly believe if I hadn't of left Smash Bros would have won the war. Or come close at least.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I just skimmed through this thread and was reminded about how the leader I left in place was rimmed. Having your leader conquered and him leading you from the rim can be very demoralizing. Not so good for Smash Bros...

Last edited:

DeletedUser3288

I honestly believe if I hadn't of left Smash Bros would have won the war. Or come close at least.

What diplomatics?

Smash bro's were surrounded by

1. TH
2. DOA
3. Black
4. Eldermage's / barry69's alliance
5. HWC
6. some nooby alliances
7. LOC of something like that, you guys merged eventually....

1 and 2 were allies, and had nap with 4 / 5

All you had was noobs in silly alliances who got spanked, and black, who also got battered and gave up leaving smash bros to fend for themselves with some alliance they merged with.

I dont see how 1 extra player would have saved them?

Aicy

Strategos
I have terrible long memory and can hardly remember any of that, so please don't try asking me any questions on specifics because I will really not be able to answer you. Also... I have played about a dozen worlds since Delta and very likely will I get them confused and such.

I dont see how 1 extra player would have saved them?

There's a big difference between one extra player and one extra leader. Chance your question to "I dont see how 1 extra leader would have saved them?" and then refer to my above post.

DeletedUser

I don't really remember who all lead us after you left. But one of the leader's became inactive and 1 was a bit hard to handle at times. But there we're still plenty of cool guys.

One of the problems was indeed having to defend the people in the lower ocean and really losing morale because of that since it was a losing battle. The fight in the upper ocean went better, but we lost too many members due to morale and getting bored :).

But yeah, I do think it might have made a difference if you'd stayed on as a leader.

DeletedUser3288

I don't really remember who all lead us after you left. But one of the leader's became inactive and 1 was a bit hard to handle at times. But there we're still plenty of cool guys.

One of the problems was indeed having to defend the people in the lower ocean and really losing morale because of that since it was a losing battle. The fight in the upper ocean went better, but we lost too many members due to morale and getting bored :).

But yeah, I do think it might have made a difference if you'd stayed on as a leader.

You only lost about 4-5 players in the low ocean, the main problem was you didnt secure players not in your alliance who had big cities in your core, allowed me and sunwolf to move right into the middle of you all.

DeletedUser

Hay bn nice thread
most probably don't know me, first time post, some of the guys in 36 have heard of me as thats were most of my battles have been! ;)
my first major alliance was a MRA as well S P Q R which was not well run, but while here had my first defining moment, i survived my first conquest attempt on myself with a bit of luck, this gave me some expeirence an BP to enlarge myself. During this whole attack i had no support from my alliance and became disillusioned with it as many others where.
this lead to my second an most defining moment for myself and others i believe, one other player in the alliance had been in talks with others about joining a training alliance that was going to be formed, about 30 of us decided to leave S P Q R and formed Elysian Fields while we waited for this new alliance to get operational. eventualy we were invited into my last an best alliance i've been in, Initiates of Ares!! :) and when i first got to know bn. joining this alliance at the time did not initially help us as we where still isolated from them an in a very active ocean but it helped us be left alone by other large alliances through our ties with DoA and TH.
this lead to the only period that i loss any of my central cities to direct conquest attempts by an alliance called Pink and Fluffy Killers, only 2 players left from that alliance i believe (greco1313 and Belaraphon
) which had the top players in 36 in it. i gave them quite a fight, it took them a couple of attempts to take my first town and then i basically ran out of troops to defend! lol makes it hard as they where doing multiple attempts as well. they then folded an most of them joined TH so it allowed me to rebuild. during this whole time bn was working his way to 36 and i was moving to 47 as a safe base, i basically got this city 2 days before i lost CS's city to greco. i then rebuilt in 47 and 36 and then the 3rd moment started,
Our war with LoC, an inpaticular Belaraphon, we had many tussles and intially on the back foot, i was the main player for IoA in 36 so most of their attacks where focused on me, this was my period of greatest BP gathering as i was having 1 to 2 CS attempts on me every weekend for nearly 2 months, most comical and bn an I where on chat timing defense's, the only real threats came from Belaraphon but his last attempt was his closest, then the tides turned, bn had esthablished himself in 36 and other members from 47 an 37 had finally pushed into 36 and it was our turn to attack. during their attack period we only lost 2 towns and by the end of the war Belaraphon
had been rimmed and we had claimed many of their towns and it all became a stalemate and now it is a fairly quiet ocean!! lol
Well those are my defining monents

(SW)Cheers makith(D)

DeletedUser

Yeah mate, o36 was a tough, tough area.

The collapse of IM in the region created a major issue with massive destabilization on the eastern front of the war. We tried to help those guys, and moved down to o36 as fast as we could, but ultimately it was too late. We let a lot of good guys down and got a few good guys to move into o35.

Major tough break.

o36 was a major victory for IoA and we all know it.

Congrats to you guys =) Those ripples were strongly felt throughout the server and, in my personal opinion, equalled the greatest war on the servers western front to date and it was all done without the heavy hitters in the region.