The Demise of Grepolis (premades)

DeletedUser20429

I started in Rho about 2 months after it had opened. I was going in blind and I found The Knights Who Say Ni (Presently Evolution) and learned a lot from them and became the knowledgeable player that I am today. Players such as Carnage and Distruct are the people I have to thank for those awesome memories.

DeletedUser

I think you have it wrong.
If 1 premade joins a world with top players and gets to no.1, dominates for the whole server and wins it, then yea i sould say that ruins a world.
However, the most enjoyable world for me was Athens, which had 5-6 major premades at the start. I think that this creates a more competitive world and makes everyone lift their game. As soon as the major premades left, the forums have died. I would say Athens is still reaping the rewards from the first 3 months if premades, as the server still has an extremely high member count for its age.

I would agree that it is the premades (and players) who only join a world for the first month that is the problem.

DeletedUser

That's why the revolt and conquest drafts are good ideas, to make 1 world with 4 premades fighting for the core each starting in a seperate direction.

DeletedUser20429

One thing about this game is we get all these 175 point player cities but they don't even play! It's just strange. Maybe they don't like the interface or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I do think a world without premades would be a great idea. I do like playing with a group of friends, but I think without an elite premade in the game it would make it much more fun and competitive as the good players who joined would not all be in one alliance. My idea for eliminating premades while not fullproof would certainly help. You could make everyone have to choose random as their direction and if people invited friends to play where there friends landed would be random as well. This would obviously not completely eliminate premades, but would definatly make it harder for them to exist.

To be honest this whole thread is fotns saying something and quite a few rimmers jumping on the bandwagon... when was the last world a premade went and dominated it recently?
Permanent Ban on corinth, they had control of 3 of 4 core oceans within a few months I do believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Having played several worlds, and one of them in a pre-made, I feel that I can share my thoughts on them.

Pre-mades are always going to be with us, I am afraid, the faster/decent settings worlds especially. Why? Because they are rarer. which means if a bunch of players want to get into it who all know each other and they wish to play decent settings, they have a very limited selection to pick from. And this inevitably leads to them joining together and fighting together with one goal.

That said, the majority of pre-mades are usually going to fail. A few rise to the top and stay there, yes, but the vast majority collapse or split due to many leaders, not enough players. Or something else entirely, often they are aggressive and cause too many enemies.

I do not think they have 'broken' the game, but they definetly have ended the 'magic' of starting, except in slower worlds. They start, now, to win, and there are less worlds for them to start. Possibly the solution is to create more speed 3 worlds, no morale in order to encourage less pre-mades as there are more worlds for vets to play in. Instead of waiting months on end for a world and then 3-4 pre-made alliances join, releasing more worlds with the favoured settings in order to encourage vets into more worlds will see an increase in the activity level of new players and a drop in pre-mades and/or the desire to form them?

DeletedUser

as you can see Fist Of The North Star there are a lot of different opinions on this subjuct.But I think it comes down to this. When you have played this game as long as we ( you and I ) I also started in Delta when it was a brand new world and then moved into Kappa ( alliance VRoD ) you see the new worlds as a fresh start.We all want to win and we hope through trial and era we will one day be able to be part of the alliance that gets that elusive 4th world wonder and are crowned as the winner of said world.Yes it is nice to meet new friends and have fresh blood to teach the game and I think you can agree that even though alliances will some time try to move to another world as one it's very hard to have all players on the same page and thus you end up with many new faces anyway.
So keep fighting along side your brothers and sisters of Grepolis.Keep going because frankly it's the best server game out there and at least we can say we've seen the worst, the best and all the in between from the beginning

thank you for the minute
tlaine

DeletedUser17088

So let me ask

Would join a world if the Possibility of a pre-made was removed?

1) Good speed settings (2-3)
2) Conquest or revolt
3) No Morale
4) Alliance cap about 100
5) Premades 'Disabled' ;)

DeletedUser

Speed 3 settings only come once in a blue moon unfortunately, the game is more aimed at attracting new players rather than keeping the ones already playing and that is a problem, there needs to be a balance.
I don't particularly mind morale worlds it doesn't bother me because I don't constantly go after weaker players, to be honest I don't see all the fuss about morale.
Personally I prefer smaller caps of about 30-50.
As to the problem of pre-mades, it's impossible to stop them formulating.

DeletedUser

If premade alliances weren't the demise of gepolis, grecolympia sure will be. DOWN WITH GRECOLYMPIA!!!

DeletedUser

I don't see how you could...players could use skype instead of the forums to set up premades. The only way would be possibly to stop inviting players onto your island, but that would never happen as it would also restrict the flow of new players

DeletedUser

May I just comment that Paragon is a top alliance and I built this from the ground up with the help of my cofounder, Alcarin89. I knew no other players from different servers. We are not pre-made at all. Our success came from hard work and lots of communication.

When Olympia first launched, I did see signs of this "pre-made alliance" activity, but it didn't last long. I believe they were called Ferenike Retribution and they completely dominated the server for the first weeks before dissolving.

DeletedUser

I credit skype with our success. The grepolis messaging system is very difficult to use and tedious, but skype makes everything a snap.

DeletedUser17088

I don't see how you could.

of course you dont see how i could because you are basing my claim on current Grepolis 'features'

I know exactly how to stop a premade alliance existing in a good settings world so trust me ;)

so again i ask, if i could stop premades happening in a great world settings.... who would be for it

DeletedUser

Define 'great settings world' as that tends to be up to opinion.

DeletedUser17088

yeh good point.

Morale Inactive
Any speed higher than 1
either conquest system (conquest preferably)
mid-high alliance limit (due to skype and pacts alliance caps are useless)
Unit speed no faster than 2