The Myth of ABP

DeletedUser17561

The effect is profound in the long term for a world that starts at the same time as the olympics. Forget about alliances - players change loyalties all the time but for a given player having the boost of the olympics can put that player extremely far ahead. And how you start is a large predictor of future success.

Shaking your head and saying "no, no, no" is not a valid counterargument. The effect is real and it is significant

DeletedUser30111

The effect is profound in the long term for a world that starts at the same time as the olympics. Forget about alliances - players change loyalties all the time but for a given player having the boost of the olympics can put that player extremely far ahead. And how you start is a large predictor of future success.

Shaking your head and saying "no, no, no" is not a valid counterargument. The effect is real and it is significant

I'm not saying no, no, no. I'm saying I've experienced just this and seen the effects on a world, and I know that they aren't as signifiant as you may thinks, that's real evidence, as opposed to hypothesizing.

DeletedUser

I don't play in this world, but Sable is completely correct. Troy is a perfect example. Most of the people who were at the top of Grepolympia ranks a year ago are long gone. I didn't even take part in Grepolypia at the start of Troy and have managed to do just fine...same as many others that are still around and top the ranks in Troy. It may give an early point or bp lead and get you an extra city slot or 2, but in the long run it is irrelevant. Over the next year, alliances will grow and fall as will players, and the entire world will not even resemble its current self.