Thoughts on Colonization

• Thread starter DeletedUser17561
  • Start date

DeletedUser17561

While we are waiting for....something (there is a lot going on and there will be a large reconfiguration of the world shortly) - I offer this up as the forum has been a bit anemic.

Grepo wisdom says that colonization is bad (there are a few exceptions, but lets not kid ourselves - this is generally regarded as not-the-action-of-a-top-player).

Grepo testosterone says it is only slightly less desirable than pounding a railroad spike through your foot and pouring bleach on the resulting wound. ABP! ABP! AB.......shut up.

Consider 2 models of world evolution:

1- The traditional "whip each other into a conquest frenzy and take all the cities you can and blather on about how great it was and by extension how awesome you are"

2 -A balanced model of expansion and colonization

I would argue that colonization is a benefit to the world. Look at it from an economic perspective:

The process of forcibly taking an existing city is at best a zero-sum proposition. The transaction results in no net gain of points for the world. In fact, a lot of times it results in a net loss of points when a wall is reduced to dust (and if a player is bolted). For the winning player - this is a good deal. Or at least that is what we all tell ourselves in our chat rooms. And then the respective players have to shovel resources into rebuilding troops so they can die again and require more resources. Very little work done in the forward direction here.

Colonization, by contrast, results in a net benefit to the world. In one act of selfless generosity, a player adds about 1000 pts to the world and all the long term benefits such as resource generation. If he or she chooses to reinvest those dividends in the city - then the point total and resource generation rate grow and the world overall becomes that much more productive. It flourishes, and evolves into a new era of unprecedented enlightenment and prosperity. The more colonization that occurs, the more prosperous the world becomes.

So don't bash the people who colonize - they are doing the world a far greater service than those who just war for what someone else built. everyone decries the end of the world but what are you personally doing to preserve it?

Have you colonized today?

DeletedUser30111

The only time I have ever colonized has been for WW preparation, and I think it is a terrible strategy to grow through colonization. For me it substantially slowed my growth because I used slots without gaining bp, plus I had to grow those cities, and I'm terrible about growing cities.

And active fight in going for a city in which both participants gain bp is much better for a world, I believe. Worlds will always grow through new players joining. Although it would be interesting to see exactly how much faster a world such as Hyper would grow than a normal world, although it would be hard to figure since there is only 1 Hyper

DeletedUser

No, just no. Colonization is a waste of a city slot for starters. Secondly when players are fighting each other bp is generated which gives a world longevity, when fighting starts slowing down worlds generally tend to die as people get bored. I see what you are trying to do here, but no.

DeletedUser

However I only conquer, colonization is not a bad thing.
It might be of use when prepering for the WW -> When there are not many cities around you to conquer, you still have to colonize, it gives you an advantage when colonized on multiple islands.

Example:
+Stone(x2)
+Wood
+Silver
It's a fact to grow faster when you keep on trading.

DeletedUser

World Wonder time is the only time colonizing is a really viable option imo. There is other rare occasions such as maybe colonizing an island full of enemy players and then stacking the city to get massive amounts of bp. But 99% of the time colonizing is a bad idea. As far as colonizing in WW goes I will not even be doing that anymore as I already won my stupid crown and World Wonders was one of the most boring experiences.

DeletedUser42407

The only time I have ever colonized has been for WW preparation, and I think it is a terrible strategy to grow through colonization. For me it substantially slowed my growth because I used slots without gaining bp, plus I had to grow those cities, and I'm terrible about growing cities.

And active fight in going for a city in which both participants gain bp is much better for a world, I believe. Worlds will always grow through new players joining. Although it would be interesting to see exactly how much faster a world such as Hyper would grow than a normal world, although it would be hard to figure since there is only 1 Hyper

What is a hyper world have I missed something XD

DeletedUser17561

World Wonder time is the only time colonizing is a really viable option imo. There is other rare occasions such as maybe colonizing an island full of enemy players and then stacking the city to get massive amounts of bp. But 99% of the time colonizing is a bad idea. As far as colonizing in WW goes I will not even be doing that anymore as I already won my stupid crown and World Wonders was one of the most boring experiences.

I agree with the last part of this. the first world I played had to have this implemented because the world was at a stalemate.

I cannot imagine anything more dull than sending resources as a primary daily activity. Getting a fake crown for building a fake monument just does not do it for me

DeletedUser5819

Conquest of Ghosts is encouraged on Hyperborea, just not of live cities.

DeletedUser

I've often thought about taking a small CS and a couple of my troops (the ones who earned it the most) and going out to the farthest edge of the world, setting up a little retirement city where my boys can fish all day and party all night.

A place where they can live a tranquil life away from all the hussle and bussle of war, not fearing the likes of war mongers anywhere. A place for kids to grow and play, every level in the city maxed out so the residents have a nice shiny city to look at.

Maybe build some cruise ships so people can see the sights and enjoy the views around the blue seas, Have visits now and then from friends and family who wish to come for vacations. Nothing much

:p

DeletedUser42857

Erm....who me? or the creator of this thread?

check out the ghost in ocean 62 of Zycanthus. :D It was about 7000-8000 pts originaly. I did consider taking it but got bored after id spent 18k in silver and still not spied succesfully.

its not even on an island with farms :D

DeletedUser

I know who's that was! lol, yeah you'll need silver nukes :D

DeletedUser33512

Interesting post.

I think there are those who colonise, for those who refuse. You need both for a world to be fun. So why get your knickers in a twist and hate on those who do. LOL. You cats who act a certain way to be perceived a certain way kill me. People should play how they want to play.

Zarun-

Strategos
I will probably get looked down upon for it but I am seriously considering colonizing for my 2nd city in next revolt world.

I want a 300 Bireme fortress less than 30 min away from my main city. And doing it on one of the smaller islands means you don't have to bother with a land army or getting farmed.

DeletedUser33512

I will probably get looked down upon for it but I am seriously considering colonizing for my 2nd city in next revolt world.

I want a 300 Bireme fortress less than 30 min away from my main city. And doing it on one of the smaller islands means you don't have to bother with a land army or getting farmed.

Be ashamed! Haha :D