To: Computer Gurus... <kind of a rant>

DeletedUser

So, today I had some more "sex" with my PC. Let me tell you a little background as to what was the problem.

Couple of days ago I had tor re-install my Photoshop and because of that I had to re-install my filters. So, with that being said, this morning I was re-installing my Topaz filters. I am using Revo Uninstaller when I install programs because I like to keep my PC clean AND supposedly Revo Uninstall records all changes that install program does.

I have installed the filter, trying to run at and BAM, i get a crash of qtgui4.dll. And here I am, sitting on my butt not knowing what to do, BUT!!!! thanks to the Druvi's advice I went to google and did some research. (Hot Damn dear Druvi, what would I do without your advice, god bless you. In Soviet Russia I would buy you a bottle of vodka) It turns out that when such problem arises, it is advisable to clean your PC from all previous installs of Topaz ... filter. I was under impression that my PC was free of that but I was wrong. I used Windows Uninstall + Revo Uninstall and then I searched for the file and I found it on my PC. I know that other programs use it also, but not only that .dll was left untouched, some Topaz folders with quiet a lot of junk were left behind as well. I was like "doulbe-you-tee-eff"....I manually deleted the left over files and then I ventured down to the Windows registry. I was already anticipating a lot of left over entries and I was right. I had to manually clean my registry from all the leftovers and then re-install Topaz filter again. Finally it worked.

Now you may ask me and yourself: What was the point of this message, Max? Are you high or lonely and looking for attention?

If Revo Uninstall records all the changes that Install program does, why the heck it did not delete all those left over entries in the first place? Am I using it incorrectly or what? Once again, I am sitting here being "double-you-tee-eff".

Thanks for reading my rant.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

perhaps I didn't know how to put if phonetically :) To my ear it is the same. But i will change that to your version.

DeletedUser

I understand your frustration....

There is an inherent danger in blindly trusting that the abilities and diligence of other human beings are up to the task they are given...

They often fail in those tasks... and we are left to step in and complete for ourselves the work they started.

As you proved today.... Its best we are always prepared to do so.

Of course this advice doesn't really apply to any inconclusive colonoscopy results.

DeletedUser44027

Tbh, a lot of things have this problem. Windows7, for example, when deleting a user profile, it still keeps the folder, which is not deletable (without running any extra windows programs or special commands, in which case I haven't found it yet). I don't know why. Incompetence on the programmers' part? :p

DeletedUser

Druvi. :))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Don't get upset.

Jones, thanks for support.

Dez, can't you restart in safemode (with f8) , no windows and delete it in DOS ?

DeletedUser44027

Well, yes. Pretty sure if you load Linux, there's a way, too. But you'd expect if you were to delete the user, that it'd finish the job.

DeletedUser

i have to agree with you. There is always junk left behind. So, if you ever watched something naughty and then deleted it from your HD, i am pretty there are traces of it in the registry. :)

DeletedUser44027

Oh S--t!

/does a system factory reset :p

The morale? Always do it online ;)

DeletedUser

>rmdir /s /q “C:\Any\Path\ThisIsTheFolderThatWillBeDeleted”

i have to agree with you. There is always junk left behind. So, if you ever watched something naughty and then deleted it from your HD, i am pretty there are traces of it in the registry. :)
Not in the registry, just on the hdd itself. When you delete something only the pointer to the data is deleted, and displayed as free space to windows so it can use the allocated blocks for other data.

Last edited by a moderator: