Passed Training Worlds

Would you like to see this idea implemented?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Proposal:
A world specific for 'training', whether it be for new players or veteran players trying to hone their skill. It also provides the chance to explore new strategies without the repercussions that would be evident in a regular world.

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Yes / No

Reason:
I think this would be a very beneficial addition to Grepolis, as it is one of many features that could be implemented and be hugely beneficial to every single player if they were willing to take advantage to it. The only cost to InnoGames would be the bandwidth, etc, required in order to support such a feature but it would overall improve the quality of the game. Furthermore, there are no changes to mechanics or anything and it is simply just a world with a specific purpose.

Details:
The training world will reset on a rolling basis, every 2-3 months.

Server speed: 1
Unit speed: 1
Alliance cap: 100
Conquer system: Conquest/Revolt
Beginner protection: 14 days
Morale: Active
*reset*
Server speed: 2
Unit speed: 2
Alliance cap: 100
Conquer system: Conquest/Revolt (opposite to above)
Beginner protection: 7 days.
Morale: Active

Morale active on both worlds? Yes! See Abuse Prevention.

What if I want to try a new building strategy by the reset isn't going to happen for a long time? Easy. Restart.

Gold. I was hoping that this world would have the premium options available, whether it is temporarily (throughout BP + 1 week) or permanently. Not only would this enable players who are used to playing with premium the ability to compare their strategies to a scenario that they'd actually be using, but it would also give non-premium players a taste of premium.

Balance:
The only influence this would have on the game is to improve the overall experience of the game and quality of the players. Furthermore, it would also enable players to explore new avenues in the game which they would previously be unwilling due to the intensity of fighting and not being able to experiment due to the consequences. This has been expressed previously by InnoGames GmbH as something they would like to see players exploring more aspects and strategies that the game as to offer (example: Heroic Tactician award requiring colonising).

Abuse Prevention:
This system can be abused and the following measures will (and should) be taken:

Morale. It will be active on every incarnation of the world so that it does not devolve into a war. The world should be focused on providing a learning experience for all users. Morale in every world would ensure that players that grow too large have restricted ability in ruining the learning experience for others. Furthermore, it wouldn't prevent any new strategies from being explored as you can still attack, build, etc, as the main focus of the world isn't to dominate other users.

Resets. This prevents players from getting too big and being counterproductive to the overall purpose of this idea/world.

Fast Conquests. Depending on the world speed and conquest setting, a Conquest world should be on the lower speed to prevent the abuse of quick conquests (12 hours (speed 2) and 8 hours (speed 3)) which would be detrimental to the learning environment that the feature provides.

Summary:
A world that is available to all players and serves as a place where they can explore and develop new strategies or simply learn the game without being thrown into the deep end on a 'real' world.

Credit to Age of Enlightenment for co-development, Ykw1 for what inspired this and theonlythomas for the original thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

As I said in Thomas' thread:

I would love to see this implemented. My beginning strategy sucks, if it even exists.

I would like to be able to use gold, but perhaps there could be a warning when you go to use gold a warning pops up telling you that the world will reset in x months. Besides, what makes you think Inno would do that?

DeletedUser

Thanks for the credit, and also for both you and Thomas reposting the idea. One would hope this passes so we can see more of a balance to regular world settings when they come out.

btw in my initial settings choice, I picked conquest for speed 1 (early grepolis servers) and revolt for speed 2 as MC mentioned in the other thread that higher speeds can result in people capturing others cities when they sleep in speed 2-3 servers, but only the former if they know what they are doing. Having revolt would give defending new players more of a chance to respond even after waking up finding their city under attack.

As for premium; I'm not sure if you had the same idea in mind, but preferably have it freely given on a regular basis like in the speed servers, it should give new players the chance to try it without having to fork out of their pocket, and they wont feel cheated when the server resets. That brings me to another point; would three months be enough time, or would we go for six months? Should we make the reset time based on settings, so that the speed 2 version resets at half the time of the speed 1 version? I would like to hear peoples thoughts.

DeletedUser

Yep... I agree that perhaps the reset should be dependent on the world speed, then it is easier to see which strategy got you to a better position in the given time.

Overall, i think the idea is great, but perhaps they should change the prices of gold, not many people will want to buy city slots if they are going to end up just resetting 3 months down the line.

DeletedUser

I think that players aren't going to play training worlds as active as warrior or hero worlds, so the reset time won't be such a big deal I suppose..
3 months is definitely long enough to get a hold on some cities and being able to learn new aspects of the game, with 6 months you'd still end up with some players getting overpowered but there is also a chance it won't happen, as I already said, these worls won't be actively played like that and won't grow that fast probably.
So on the reset time, I say we try 3 months and if it proves too short we up it a little.

About the premium, I say give it to the players freely so they can try it out.
I'm sure once they feel the difference of the administrator for an example, alot more players will buy gold.
And as this already is a training world with a reset time meant for players learning aspects of the game they didn't know before, premium would also be a aspect that they would be learning and I'm sure after trying it a lot more will pay for it in actual worls.

DeletedUser

Conquest or Revolt wouldn't matter in my opinion, as long as there is a even distribution between the two. I don't think people will be using the training worlds as a primary means of learning how to conquer, but rather new strategies and starting builds. You make a good point about quick conquers as a result of the settings though, opinions on that too anyone else?

I think 6 months is too long, whereas 3 months because it seems like a good duration and fits neatly into a year; quarters seems to be a good 'system'. I was also considering 2 months but that might be pushing it if you wanted to try certain strategies (myth nukes). Of course, these numbers will always be up for debate and subject to change depending on Inno's decision, let's just hope they make a good one. If all this was implemented of course. They might not see the point of having a server running without dedicated premium users even if it meant improving the bigger picture.

Premium, like mentioned above, would be Inno's choice but my idea I tried outlining is getting at what W*Arms described. I would also like to hear opinions on that.

DeletedUser

I think this is a great idea :) It must be really hard for new players on normal worlds to manage to "survive" long enough to learn enough about how to play grepolis due to all the experienced players being ready to conquer before them and having the advantage of knowing which troops are best to fight which with, which researches and buildings are most useful etc. If training worlds were available then I'd bet a lot less players would leave the game before they had a chance to learn how to play well.

3 months sounds good too :) Plenty of time to try out most things grepolis and to practise attacking and defending, sniping etc

The premium idea I completely agree with, I'm sure there are a lot of players who have never used gold that would consider using it for some of the features if they had the opportunity to test the differences gold makes...
So that completely new players could tell the difference maybe it could be something like turning the premium features on then off for everyone for a set amount of time... possibly 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off, not sure if that would be do-able tho?

DeletedUser

Well i support this 100% :)
But i think 2 months is a better reset time...

T

DeletedUser20429

I like this idea it's great for noobs to become vets! (Veterans) Because what could happen is you could have a little box that has 2 Dots like in the votes here: Like 1. Yes 2. No etc BUT instead of yes and no it would have 1. Under 1 year 2. Over 1 year. This could help the mods who mod the training world to help the noobs to learn about the game. As Asth said would also be a great place to try out different techniques but I say it should have premium permanently if the world only goes for 3 months other wise it's just not balanced. Get my drift?

DeletedUser

OK a question. What if I want to simulate a scene where I have 10 cities to start with etc etc etc.... I think this training world can come with options (Oceans can be divided via the options like O54 is for the 10+ city players, O64 is for 50+ city players there can be other options besides cities). If this is implemented then noobs will be able to experience everything grepolis has to offer before facing the real world.

DeletedUser

In theory i think this is a good idea, but in practise i don't think it would work unless it is a world for only practising your building skills.

Let me give you a couple of potential problems

firstly and integral part of building your city in the early stages is farming the other cities on your island. As people will only join this world to practise building up there cities surely they wouldn't want to be attacked at this stage? At the start of a world, everyone has similar numbers of points so morale wouldn't matter, but someone who was concentrating on building troops to maximise resource gain would ruin the world for someone who wanted to practise the fastest method of gaining points for example. I don't think this would be limited to just a couple of islands either. I haven't started a world where i haven't straight away started farming the other players around me and i suspect it is true for almost every other player. How would you prevent this? The aim of a training world should be to advance players who have had less experience of the game, but if an experienced player lands on their island trying to practise their city build, say to be able to conquest first in a world then the less experienced player will be in the same situation as a normal world.

Secondly, say a player has joined to practise his attacking skills, more specifically his timing. He joins with two friends, or meets two people in his alliance, they level up their cities so they are ready to conquest. All three have one city and are going to try and land attacks tightly together to conquer a new city. To make it more realistic they would pick an active player to attack. You wouldn't practise timing on an inactive player you want someone who will try and defend. However chances are the person who you attack is practising his city build or different offensive nuke combinations. therefore is unprepared to defend. Whats more he might not have joined the world with some friends and so will be heavily out gunned by three attackers.

i just don't see how you could have people practising the war side of the game, and people practising the building side of the game on the same world, without defeating the point for the people practising the building side.

I'm sure you have answers to these points but before i support this idea i think more thought needs to be put into abuse prevention.

I do like the premium idea though. Until recently i refused to get premium but after trying it out for a week, i realised how many more possibilities it brought to the game and therefore started using it more. In the long run i reckon this would befit both players and innogames.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Great Idea! Only change I would make is that the training worlds would have a faster building time, so therefore noobs don't get bored, and get to see the more tactical side to the game.... before they get flash conquered.

Also I would turn off Conquering, as it is a noob world. (Or have ridiculously long Conquering times)

DeletedUser22115

OK a question. What if I want to simulate a scene where I have 10 cities to start with etc etc etc.... I think this training world can come with options (Oceans can be divided via the options like O54 is for the 10+ city players, O64 is for 50+ city players there can be other options besides cities). If this is implemented then noobs will be able to experience everything grepolis has to offer before facing the real world.

first of all, if players started with that amount of cities is a bad idea because then they wont be able to experience starting off in a world. Only new players who have not played a world previously should be able to play because otherwise the experienced could join and then it would be like a normal world just longer periods of Beginners Protection. Or else highly experienced players should have to make a new account as they could have thousands of thousands of gold in there other.

DeletedUser

Although we said that this could also be used by experienced players trying to perfect tactics, it was their starting tactics we were on about.

If they wanted to try tactics with 10 cities, join a regular world and get to 10 cities.

This idea was primarily for beginners really.

Can we get some more support please?! :)

DeletedUser

How about an automatic deletion after 2 weeks of playing?

But you start with 3 cities much like a Hero world. But instead of PvP like all other Grepolis worlds are. Make this PvC, spawn cities as Computers and have an automated response to all attacks.

New players can learn by being smashed by computers instead of players!

DeletedUser

no. Too unrealistic. The point is that this gives people some real experience before they start playing properly... Playing against computers would be nothing like playing a real human.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)
T

DeletedUser

With the option I mean that you can't conquer outside your ocean (Conquer players your own size only). If players want to start a new world with 1 city then they choose that option and get stuck in an ocean full of the players with that option and they cant get out of that ocean. If they choose 10+ cities then they will be in an ocean with 10+ citied players only. This can be also used by noobs so they can experience how is it like to have 10+ cities and what researches to research etc.....

DeletedUser

I like this idea it's great for noobs to become vets! (Veterans) Because what could happen is you could have a little box that has 2 Dots like in the votes here: Like 1. Yes 2. No etc BUT instead of yes and no it would have 1. Under 1 year 2. Over 1 year. This could help the mods who mod the training world to help the noobs to learn about the game. As Asth said would also be a great place to try out different techniques but I say it should have premium permanently if the world only goes for 3 months other wise it's just not balanced. Get my drift?
U mean nujbs like u?

DeletedUser

^^ keep it nice -___-

like the idea :D . . . ive often joined a world for the sole purpose to have a njub alliance and train them (experienced players are so overrated) lol, so this would make things alot better

moved to development

please continue to collaborate on this idea :)

Status
Not open for further replies.