Inactive Topic Transparent PNGs in Profile Pictures

Zarun-

Strategos
Proposal: Allow transparent PNGs to be used ingame profile images, the "coat of arms" area.

Have you Checked the DNS and PSI lists in the Archives? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested? Did not check but the 2.78 update removed IE8 support so this is relevant.

Reason: It would improve the quality of profile pictures if we could use transparency. GIF has too many problems, PNG is better.

Details: Transparent PNGs are lossless. With GIF you have dithering issues.

Visual Aids: Yes this (gif):
rYbGmGR.gif

vs this (png):
u7cbQ1L.png

shows it is superior. If you cannot see any difference then save both and try them as profile images ingame. You'll see it - GIF one shows up spotty.

Balance: No issues. Nothing to do with play.

Abuse Prevention: This doesn't alter anything. It's a technical issue.

Honestly cannot see any reason to reject this than perhaps personal bias. From a development standpoint this would likely not take much coding - simply prevent the game from adding black backgrounds to transparent PNGs. Modern web browsers support it by default.

DeletedUser31385

I do think images should not have the background behind them.

DeletedUser38224

For now, a workaround is to simply add the background of the profile area instead of making it transparent, but it really should be supported.

DeletedUser

Where do I sign?

Awesomeness, I've tried making a picture with the profile's colour worked into it, but noticed that sometimes the shades actually still seemed to differ slightly.