Tyche's Advent Calendar 2017 Discussion Thread

Richard

Strategos
Hey guys

This thread is for feedback and questions around Tyche's Advent Calendar 2017 event. The event will run December 1st - 31st.

Thanks!

Richard & Team

DeletedUser54192

Would it be possible to see the supposed feedback that led the developers to making it less likely to get the best items? Because a lot of people are wondering where that happened, as it seems highly unlikely that non-gold-users would want to make it less likely that they get the best items, and it seems highly unlikely that gold-users would want to have to spend more gold than before to ensure that they get the best items.

Rachel.L

Phrourach
we were all thinking it, kal, but you said it
actually, several questioned it in the update thread

on a positive note, I appreciate the efforts of the devs to include events on the mobile app
trying to give app users a better experience is a major goal

DeletedUser35069

I don't think they've gone out of their way to include this on the app so much as this event has always been available on the app it's one of the oldest events. The rest they haven't added since.

DeletedUser53903

This event is literally the definition of a money hungry company..

DeletedUser46395

Would it be possible to see the supposed feedback that led the developers to making it less likely to get the best items? Because a lot of people are wondering where that happened, as it seems highly unlikely that non-gold-users would want to make it less likely that they get the best items, and it seems highly unlikely that gold-users would want to have to spend more gold than before to ensure that they get the best items.

In all fairness, one of the biggest gripes I hear about the game is how much it has been deskilled by the ease with which units can be bought, especially myths. I guess everybody wants to receive free myth nukes, and quite a lot will buy them, but nobody wants their opponent to have them. So there won't be any feedback that says "please don't give me full flying myth nukes in an event", but surely everyone must know there's plenty saying it's far too easy just to buy armies at an event.

DeletedUser54192

In all fairness, one of the biggest gripes I hear about the game is how much it has been deskilled by the ease with which units can be bought, especially myths. I guess everybody wants to receive free myth nukes, and quite a lot will buy them, but nobody wants their opponent to have them. So there won't be any feedback that says "please don't give me full flying myth nukes in an event", but surely everyone must know there's plenty saying it's far too easy just to buy armies at an event.
I agree with the idea of making it harder to get certain tokens. For example, as much as we hated the Pandora event, I didn't see as many complaints about event-created flier nukes, because not only was it hard to get lots of spirit powder, but the flier tokens were expensive in spirit powder and didn't give you a huge number of fliers.

However I think that wheel events are possibly one of the worst events to start increasing the difficulty of.
  • Random spin means no guarantee of getting a particular token on any spin (except the last spin of a wheel).
  • You pay more gold for each consecutive wheel spin, so you are likely going to have to spend gold on a couple of rewards that you don't want, to get the reward that you do want. (Possibly up to 1500 gold to get that 1 token that you want.)
  • You have to empty the wheel of all 6 rewards before you are allowed to refill it, so it is expensive to get multiples of a particular token. For example, the minimum spend for 2 identical tokens of any type is 1550 gold (assuming that you get lucky and get your ideal token on the first spin of the newly-refilled wheel).

Shop-based or recipe-format events are much easier to create armies and the dreaded flier nukes from.
  • Ability to pick whatever specific tokens for your rewards. So you don't have to spend gold on getting unwanted tokens simply so that you can spend gold on getting duplicates of the token that you are after. Therefore cheaper to get multiples of your favourite token.
  • Constant access to the best rewards. On some days of wheel events, the rarer tokens might not actually be useful for you: pegasi are rarely used on conquest, yet they usually show up at least once or twice as the most powerful reward on a wheel. However for shop-based events, you always have access to the same set of rewards, which usually includes at least 2 types of attack flier.
  • Recipe-format events, such as In Demeter's Name and Incantation Circle, are particularly easy to exploit because there is no chance factor at all for the usual rewards. The recipes are all available within hours of the event starting, which voids the idea of having to test recipes. The only chance factors are the number of points towards the daily rankings.

As such, if the developers wanted to reduce the exploitation of events, I think they should have started with tweaking the events that are actually causing the majority of the "event army" complaints, not by making one of the less-exploitable events harder. I'd be happy for myth tokens to cost more shards/laurels/etc, or for the myth tokens in recipe events to yield less myths.

DeletedUser46395

I don't disagree with any of that personally, was simply pointing out where I thought the feedback came from.

DeletedUser36697

grepo seems to run and event almost every month and the events last for 2-4 weeks.. So where does real gaming begin as opposed to the money grab events, that have become our reality..?
Have the consumers (players) of Grepo..........with multiple new layers of contacts in-front of the developers, so read; how many layers of slow down, received anything positive from the Inner and outer-rings wrt to the Passage of info/product from the developers to the actual players.

If nothing is flowing perhaps its time to recognize the players mean nothing to Developers and all the efforts are in vain...TILTING AT WINDMILLS comes to mind..

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel.L

Phrourach
I don't disagree with any of that personally, was simply pointing out where I thought the feedback came from.
yes, but bear, we still haven't heard from an inno rep about any of that feedback
so until then, players are left wondering about sourcing

in response to the event, kals post, and bear's reply, I think some events (esp where supposedly random draw gives a prize) helps non-gold users feel they are leveling the playing field against big spenders
if, once a month, tiny tim can get half a myth nuke free in an event, it makes it the tiniest bit easier to keep up with the wicked witch who is spawning a new set of flying monkeys daily
yes, I've mixed a but of ideas but you get my meaning

DeletedUser

Used to enjoy this event mostly because it evened the playing field out for everyone non gold users and gold users, where it was random and it was a game of chance that you might get a myth nuke token on the first throw of the dice.
But if you did and you were a non gold user it was fantastic for you, it meant you had a better chance against the gold user who would just keep going until he/her got that myth token.
Now the non gold user has no chance what so ever of even doing that, innogames yet again has put money above the best interests of its dwindling loyal fans.

I use gold I admit it but the costs and rewards available for using that has reduced in value, and I will not even think about using it for this event.
This will be the last time I play the game which was worthwhile at one point, but now because innogames have become so greedy for money I feel it is time to leave.

The amount of events you now have on each world over the year has just gone crazy, and it is like almost every month there is something going on it never used to be like that.

My only regret about leaving grepolis is the friends I have made along the way, but at least I know they are of the same opinion about these events.

DeletedUser52860

I agree with Graham, the only way to really voice your displeasure is to vote with your feet and walk away; something i will be doing after 5 years when Kasmenai ends in 8 days.

I guess essentially we have to understand that what is a game and a pass time for us is a business and a living for the company that make it. It would be unrealistic to expect them to not try and maximize their profit margins but this should be done in balance with the customers wants and needs. What is unacceptable to me is that there seems to be little to no focus on the players and what we want, with unpopular things that are obviously only designed to increase the margin and lock in the cash flow constantly railroaded in regardless of whether the gaming experience is improved or not.

So as i guess Inno would say "put up or shut up"
smiley_emoticons_ins-auge-stechen.gif

DeletedUser54192

Is there any chance that the developers would be winning to disclose the odds of receiving each category of token on the wheel? I've spun the wheel once every day so far on Carystus. That's 6 attempts, and not a single reward from the more valuable sections of the wheel. Either I'm unlucky (entirely possible), or Inno has tilted the odds so that it's almost impossible to get the better rewards without spending gold each day.

DeletedUser35069

Had 4 crystals. Received the 'All the crystals' reward as soon as I pressed the button. It stopped spinning and I got the final crystal. Guessing your reward is fixed from the minute you press.

Silver Witch

Strategos
  • You have to empty the wheel of all 6 rewards before you are allowed to refill it, so it is expensive to get multiples of a particular token. For example, the minimum spend for 2 identical tokens of any type is 1550 gold (assuming that you get lucky and get your ideal token on the first spin of the newly-refilled wheel).

You can refill the wheel whenever you like after the first spin. There is no need to empty it first. Presumabley though its just as difficult to win the best tokens 2nd time round.

I agree that this looks like a response to the constant feedback that troops and particularly flyers are unfairly available to big spenders. Personally i think implementing something like this would have been fairer if the original free spin each day was random and thereafter, if players want extra spins and inno want to make it more difficult to buy the best items, that changes. As it is, without spending gold it seems unlikely players will get the most valuable tokens.

DeletedUser54192

You can refill the wheel whenever you like after the first spin. There is no need to empty it first. Presumabley though its just as difficult to win the best tokens 2nd time round.
Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake. I didn't realise that you could refill at any point as I haven't been spending any gold on this event.

I agree that this looks like a response to the constant feedback that troops and particularly flyers are unfairly available to big spenders. Personally i think implementing something like this would have been fairer if the original free spin each day was random and thereafter, if players want extra spins and inno want to make it more difficult to buy the best items, that changes. As it is, without spending gold it seems unlikely players will get the most valuable tokens.
Yes. I think Inno misinterpreted (either accidentally or intentionally) the feedback about the issues with heavy golders being able to get tonnes of myths from events. I really like your suggestion, actually. Slightly curbs the impact of heavy spending, without punishing the rest of the community.