Un-official Beta News Thread, Volume 1

DeletedUser

World Beta Un-official News Thread! 4/28/10

Dobby Missing??

With the cries of warriors on the field of battle and the intrigue of political upheaval in the air Beta has certainly become a boiling pot of activity over the past few days, but as we all recline in our lazy-boyz to sip our coffee and take our minds off of the pressures of life in Beta there is obviously something missing. Our beloved reporter and all around eye in the sky Dobby is eerily silent. This may be due to an announcement made earlier this week by dobby himself.​

Wow, we have now officially reached double figures with the news thread as this is officially the tenth issue. I must also now announce that this will be the last for sometime. This is due to lack of news I am receiving and also due to actual in game stuff taking away my time. Alongside this we also have the World Zeta Draft that I am running. But anyway, on with this weeks news!

I know, I know, we all assumed that Dobby was just saying this to keep us in suspense, making us crave those tid bits of information just a little bit more, and yet here we are, a multi alliance war just beginning to take off, flaming flying around left and right, war stats beginning to pour in. But in the midst of it all the Beta News Desk has remained, sadly, quiet. Folks this is one reporter who will openly say, “Dobby where are you?” Perhaps it is appropriate to take this time for a moment of silence for our lost, but still loved, reporter……………….

Well there is still news to be told!

War of the World?

Perhaps a bit cliché but no one can deny the facts, Beta is in a state of grand warfare that is forcing everyone to choose sides. As of today the Alliances that have confirmed their involvement in this tussle are as follows: Army of Aliens, United Aegean Empire, Phenomen, Molon Labe, Titanus et Ares. It’s not hard to click that little ranking button and take a look at what this means for Beta folks. These are all Alliances in the top 12 of our world, not to mention AoA and UAE sitting at 1 and 2. Anyone reminded of Allies vs. Axis? (I’ll let you decide who is who) Regardless of where you stand in this fight sides have clearly been drawn and are continuing at an impressive rate, thus far the sides are as follows:

Army of Aliens and United Aegean Empire VS. Phenomen, Molon Labe, and Titanus et Ares.

So what does this mean for Beta? I think the best way to get a feel for that question is to take a look at the feelings of our esteemed Alliance leaders as the march their members off to war.

What are your thoughts and feelings on the war brewing in Beta?

Mike62: I think it is running how it was planned. The biggest part of it hasn’t come around yet, I do think there is more to come and that anyone siding with AoA and UAE needs their bumps checking, they will turn on anyone they feel is weak.
Saying that it has surprised me how many have come out against them and the people planning the action has more than surprised a few alliances.

Yondo: War? What war? This is how it's been since BP ended! This "war" isn't particularly different from before, except now we actually have more allies.

eGod: I feel that Molon Labe will dominate in the north but will have a tougher time as we move south, to where UAE and AoA are very clustered. I also think/know there will be more alliances entering, probably on both sides. This will be the first big war, even if Aliens told me at the start it would be over in 10 days. A very naive statement if I may say so myself. I like that this war is happening. It seems to have sparked some much needed life into this world and has gotten a lot of new players to post on the external forums for the first time. I look forward as to where this war will lead.

Kadjayuni: It is a benefit because it stops good players quitting from boredom. This one only the elites will survive in the core.

Liragon (Aliens would not read my message): As for the war what one? hehe it's too soon to talk about molon lube. phen i dont really handle that area of the war but i've heard lots of good things

So sitting on the side lines one may wonder how all of this ties together. It seems as though this is just another stroll through the park for AoA and UAE. Both have said on numerous occasions that they are far from worried and that this “war” is nothing new in their eyes. From the other side of the fence we are seeing almost the polar opposite from PMT. It is clear they are taking this fight personally and are fed up with the top brass. That being said I know the majority of readers out there are not interested in what they would call “puffed up quotes from stuck up leaders” to this I say lets roll out the War stats!

War Statistics as of 4/25/10-4/28/10

Army of Aliens: Lost – 10 cities to Molon Labe, 2 cities to Titanus et Ares, 2 city to Phenomen

United Aegean Empire: Lost – 2 cities to Phenomen

Phenomen: Lost – 4 Cities to Army of Aliens, 4 cities to United Aegean Empire

Molon Labe: Lost 2 cities to Army of Aliens, 1 city to United Aegean Empire

Titanus et Ares: Lost – 1 city to United Aegean Empire

As you can see we are in the early stages of this battle and only a handful of cities have changed hands so far. As we all know the number of cities an Alliance has in the end will determine if they survive this battle, so in these reports only the number of cities that are colonized will be shown, member activity/location/and point values will be disregarded.

So this brings us up to speed and leaves us with a few questions. Who is going to come out on top? What about the other Alliances in the top 12? What will Beta look like when this is all said and done? It seems that only time will tell and we are all going to have to be on the look out so as not to get caught in the crossfire.

Demon Law Breakers, Political upheaval.

Demon Law Breakers was on everyone's radar late last week after a massive jump in points that brought them from 13th to 10th in the alliance ranking world wide. This jump was explained by the merger of Time Warp into DLB. All seemed to be going well and it looked like DLB had solidified their place among the top Alliances. And then another dramatic change in points took DLB off the front page yet again. Those of us on the side lines were left to wonder what on earth was going on in the inner workings of DLB. But then the story surfaced earlier this week with an announcement full of betrayal and power struggle.

Alexander of Macedon today at 1:55 AM
THIS IS AN EMERGENCY SITUATION!

The very existence of this alliance has been put at risk by the incompetent actions of HERO CJ.

I have therefore taken (temporary) control of the alliance. I have declared Martial Law. All positions have been terminated. From now on, you will have to EARN a position of leadership, on the merits of your ability—NOT because you are a "good friend" of someone high up, or because you have a lot of points. (Points mean almost nothing, except that they impress people who are impressed with points.)

CJ has been booted from the alliance. He's not coming back. I hope if you're considering leaving because of this, you will wait a few days—after all, you can ALWAYS leave. But I think you will like the changes. This alliance had a lot of potential, which is why I joined it in the first place and agreed to become the Defense Minister. I am only restoring the opportunity to fulfill that potential. I hope you will be part of it.

—Alexander of Macedon, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces​

So now with the loss of over 100 members and Martial Law declared DLB finds itself in a difficult situation. I took the time to ask Alexander a few questions

Do you think DLB has a chance to move past this incident and regain their strength?​

We are already stronger, precisely because of this "incident." And of course, one is already "moving past" an incident, the moment an incident is over. The question is what direction one moves in afterwards. Strength does not come from mere numbers, after all, and the fact that the alliance is now being led with intelligence and purpose, and unity of intent, immediately makes it much stronger. As far as I'm concerned, we don't have any problems—any more than the usual kind that every alliance has—we HAD problems, which the coup instantly solved. We all know that many alliances are "ruled" rather than led, and ruled by irrational, egotistical people (often arrogant, immature kids), who are basically despots. I've heard any number of stories of people were booted from the biggest alliances because they dared to "disagree" with a "founder" or the founder didn't like them or whatever. I think that's an unfortunate aspect of this game: that the people who run the alliances are often merely the players who started playing the game first (so they were here to start the alliances), and are not necessarily the most intelligent, rational, or fair people.​

What are your immediate plans for Demon Law Breaker?

My immediate plans for the Demon Law Breakers are to establish order and stability, reorganize the command and communications structure so that the alliance can function more efficiently and respond more quickly to external threats, and members can work together effectively

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Do you think that declaring Martial Law may have effected the way Beta sees you and your Alliance?

The declaration of Martial Law was essential to the coup's success, and that is more important than any external "opinions" about the declaration of Martial Law. Those who aren't in the alliance—and even many in the alliance—don't know what the extent of the problem was, and therefore do not have an informed opinion and are just reacting to the negative connotations of the phrase "martial law." I have to do what's best for the alliance, and in my judgment, this was not only best, but necessary. It is a temporary measure.

So, we will have elections at some point—when, in my judgement, stability has been established. I may well step down from any leadership role at that point, including my former role as Defense Minister. But first, I want to create an environment where the alliance will belong to the MEMBERS of the alliance, not one or two leaders who treat it as their own personal property and make sure there is a structure to allow for strong future growth. After martial law is repealed, the fate of the alliance will be up to its members.

Do you have anything to say to your fellow members of Beta?

I thought Demon Law Breakers had great potential before I took control, and I think it has even greater potential now—or, at least, a better chance to achieve its potential. To the other members of Beta, I would say that if you seek to play this game, and have it be FUN, and want to be in alliance that's not run by some despotic kid (or grown-up) who rules like a spoiled brat, and want to be in an alliance that isn't obsessed with your city's point totals, and will actually defend their cities that are attacked, instead of booting them, drop me a line. We welcome all.

So we will see where Demon Law breakers end up in the future. This is either a bold move that will allow DLB to live up to their full potential, or a mistake that they will live to regret.

On the Rim, the new frontier.

For those players who are not interested in conquering or fighting and are here to just enjoy the game, you may be becoming extremely familiar with “The Rim” in the next few weeks. With the war between the elites shaping up it is inevitable that players are going to be conquered, cities are going to be taken, and feelings are going to be hurt. But what happens when your last city is taken? If you don’t end up crying yourself to sleep and smashing your computer with a hammer you are going to find yourself moved out to the edge of Beta. The Rim is where all new players who join Beta start and it is also where all players go to begin again when their cities are no more. With Beta continually growing and members loosing cities left and right The Rim is fast becoming a new frontier for Beta.

As of today these are the top alliances in each outlying ocean:

Ocean 32 – Roman Republic - 16 cities
Ocean 42 - ceasers army r gonna kil 63 cities
Ocean 52 – Lions -51 cities
Ocean 62 – Lions 24 cities
Ocean 73 – -Tyrants- 31 cities
Ocean 74 – Xmortis 107 cities
Ocean 76 – Xmortis 60 cities

(More to come)

But why is The Rim even worth taking the time to look at? It is easy to see that the center of Beta is the hot spot for all major Alliances and of course that is where the bulk of battles are going to take place. But what happens when the wars end? When one or two Alliances are the only ones standing at the center of Beta? By then those Alliances that are left standing are going to wish they paid more attention to The Rim now. So food for thought, The Rim is growing and Alliances are forming, we are going to be seeing pockets of power sprouting up along the edges of our world and soon they will be surrounding the Beta that we know so well. Perhaps it’s time to take a trip to Beta’s frontier for yourself and set up a homestead while you can.

Un-official ending

Well that’s it for the first issue of the Un-official Beta News Letter. Hopefully this isn’t the last time you’ll hear from this reporter, because with the way Beta is headed we’re going to be up to our necks in news for some time to come.

*Interviews listed above, due to space constraint, are not shown in their entirety. Important quotes that directly pertained to the question were posted. If you are interested in reading the complete interviews please contact TheStache via private message*

DeletedUser

Uh wtf is up with your stats mate? Phenomen have lost 8 cities so far in this war... To AoA alone? And there are a lot more alliances involved than you list there. Xmortis, Legion to name but 2. Also looks like MDK have come in...

DeletedUser

Very well done, Stache! Great read!

I miss the Molon Labe bias, though...

DeletedUser

Uh wtf is up with your stats mate? Phenomen have lost 8 cities so far in this war... To AoA alone? And there are a lot more alliances involved than you list there. Xmortis, Legion to name but 2. Also looks like MDK have come in...

The report says 4/25/10 - 4/28/10 That is the time frame for the conquests and that is what the report shows. I am beginning at the start of the Multi Alliance War as that is the topic of the report. As far as other alliances joining they have yet to make anything public so there is nothing to report on 100%. But don't think I haven't heard a few rumors ;)

Xmortis was at war long before this all started so I did not deem it acceptable to include them.

If there are Alliances that the Members of Beta would like me to list in this war I will be glad to do so upon request and confirmation that they are indeed joining on one side or the other.

DeletedUser

The report says 4/25/10 - 4/28/10 That is the time frame for the conquests and that is what the report shows. I am beginning at the start of the Multi Alliance War as that is the topic of the report. As far as other alliances joining they have yet to make anything public so there is nothing to report on 100%. But don't think I haven't heard a few rumors ;)

Xmortis was at war long before this all started so I did not deem it acceptable to include them.

If there are Alliances that the Members of Beta would like me to list in this war I will be glad to do so upon request and confirmation that they are indeed joining on one side or the other.

Yet to make anything public? AoA and UAE have been at war with Legion and Xmortis for a long time, it has been well publicized in the public forums...

DeletedUser

And it is also well know to everyone that Both Xmortis and Legion are hardly doing anything that we would call "fighting back." So I stand by my previous statement that this report pertains to the Alliances that have risen up together to either fight with AoA and UAE or against them. The wars with Legion and Xmortis do not have anything to do with this report, they are just more wars that AoA and UAE have to fight. Please do not try to add things into this report that do not belong here. I am trying to be as unbiased as possible so I will not be flaming anyone or any alliance. But I will stand up for my reporting. If the Xmortis and Legion wars would have been started at the same time as the TeA, Molon Labe, and Phenomen wars in response to AoA and UAE's attacks then they would clearly fit into this story. They did not, so they do not, so they aren't covered. If you would be willing to give an interview however I would be happy to cover the AoA wars against both Legion And Xmortis. It would make for a good story.

DeletedUser

jeez, talk about your nitpicking. TheStache writes up a very entertaining newsletter with excellent commentary and you have to pick it apart with minor details.

If you don't like it, write your own newsletter.

Stache, great report. I definitely dig it.

I would like to see one from Dobby now so we can have dueling reporters.

DeletedUser

jeez, talk about your nitpicking. TheStache writes up a very entertaining newsletter with excellent commentary and you have to pick it apart with minor details.

If you don't like it, write your own newsletter.

Stache, great report. I definitely dig it.

I would like to see one from Dobby now so we can have dueling reporters.

Hmm, 8 cities is quite a major difference to 2 and changes it quite significantly. And to have 3 more top 15 alliances on one side doubles the numbers, also changing things significantly. If I really wanted to "nitpick" I'm sure I could pick up a lot more details. Molon Labe is on 11 conquers against AoA for example.

DeletedUser

Well I am sure the stats will be updated in the second volume Lennox ;)

DeletedUser

Hmm, 8 cities is quite a major difference to 2 and changes it quite significantly. And to have 3 more top 15 alliances on one side doubles the numbers, also changing things significantly. If I really wanted to "nitpick" I'm sure I could pick up a lot more details. Molon Labe is on 11 conquers against AoA for example.

I understand your point. I just think your delivery could have been better to a guy who obviously took some serious time to put this together. :Smile:

DeletedUser

I enjoyed this. It is nice to see it all written up like this, its also good for people who don't like reading 200 reply's to find out whats going on :p

DeletedUser

So they are just conquering cities form AoA on their own? No war?

MdK are at war with AoA. One of the few that were going to be joining us later. They have coordinated well with Phenomen to take ALL of a 43k point player's cities in a day.

DeletedUser

My answer will be same as one given to Dobby some time ago - we do not like kidding around on the forum as we rather take some villages in the meanwhile.

So.. i can only say, we are not at war, we are just cleaning scum from our area..

J.

That's the answer Jerzee gave me when I asked him about it. I told him I was working on the second Volume of the Un-official Beta News Thread. Regardless of what he says however, they are taking AoA cities.

DeletedUser2595

nice report - particularly liked your bit about the rim - can be important. when i used to play TW i joined a world late on and ended up in a "noob rim tribe" as we were repeatedly called by the core "elites"; when i quit that world to play here the alliance was no. 2 in the world :)