Underdog Stories

DeletedUser

I'd like to hear some interesting underdog stories. Does anyone have war stories from alliances other than the top few? Anyone start out with someone attacking them part of an alliance 50,000 times bigger than you. And survive?

For example, in little far away Ocean 67, there's a player I know that had a 3,000 point city that made 3,800 defensive BP in one day from a well-known alliance. He had support from 16 players, some not even from his alliance. A week later, he hasn't been attacked again. Must have surprised them.

You can keep the players and alliances anonymous, but I think it would be great to hear about people who have defied the odds.:)

DeletedUser13647

Sovereign Guard were all n00bs and POW had like 10 members but they still managed to destroy 4 The Heroes together. After that they moved on to Doomsday. Then Eternal Myrmidon started recruiting their members and their ally's members so a huge war for Northern Ocean 64 ensued. Then Illuminati and their MRA friends The Chosen declared war! Two bigger alliances teaming up to destroy us!

DeletedUser

Since the forum is a bit dead now, I might as well contribute to this thread:

I was in an MRA known as diciples of the blade. We we all busy getting to a respectable level of play, with few conquers available and certainly less players with more than 1 city and overall points somewhere in the 250k department at the time of these events.

Any war experience we had until this point were a few rogue attacks from the blackguard towards 2 of our alliances leaders, which were rather sluggish and gave us all tears of envy, since BP were finally accumulated, and rather easy ones.

I just had conquered my 3rd city and going nuts in the island of my 2nd as there were alot of polises that had grown since end of bp. Alot of recruitment ensued there as a result, save for one player, who preffered to bear the banner of POWER OF PREDATORS a multi branch alliance with a total of around 1.5 million points.

I got a threatening message from their member to lay off the attacks on their refugee, I did, and everything seemed fine, but on the same day, I got another message from the same member, who inquired about our relationship with a fairly large alliance Crusaders. I replied that we had recently undergone a merge to help eachother in case of a large threat and bore the combined name of the Delian league. Thing was, POP wanted a piece of crusaders and they went as far as to ask us to lend them our aid. Surely a 4vs1 would overwhelm crusaders, at least that was their argument. They gave us 2 days of consideration. I mailed the conversation to our founder as I was frequently in chat with him. We had a choice to make, stand by our pacts and obligations or ensure the survival of our alliance and side with POP. It didn't take much, we geared up for the coming of predators.

Now, pockets of diciples were located in o35, o46 (this was also were almost all of crusaders were located) and funny me in o36 all alone, outnumbered by enemy cities 50 to 3. Still I even went as far as to almost conquer an enemy city, yet ultimately failed in the attempt and soon attacks started coming my way. Requests for support were unanswered and I had to fend for myself. Luckily attacks were rather infrequent and targeted at my main city, which was the easiest to defend. A few dodges, snipes, stacks. I took it all pretty well. I heard o35 was having trouble, o46 however was in ultimate superiority towards the delians.

The struggle ended in the disband of every branch of POP and their members going to deaths phalanx or the better ones to LEGION IV. For us diciples this war was a large feat...

Now we are in a conflict with LEGION II. Will see if we can live this through aswell.

DeletedUser

Thats a good post theAnete

Often people forget it isn't necessarily the size of the alliance or group of attackers, it's more often the ability of the attackers (as well as the defenders) that generally win or lose the day.

Good luck with your next conflict!

DeletedUser

Awesome contribution theAnete. Exactly the story I wanted to hear! :)

DeletedUser

Thanks Mutts, Cue.

I went in more detail in my original post, but I my browser crashed and I was lazy to write everything over again.

I really want to hear other storys too, I'm certain, there's alot of clashes going on in Iota, nobody really checks, but the small alliances (top 30) are involved in alot of power struggles, traffic of points show that.

DeletedUser

Atlantic League Story

This alliance started out in Ocean 67 on 10/26/10. Three days later our largest city (3,000 pts) was taken by the largest alliance in Ocean 67. At the time, we had seven members and less than 7,000 points together. Our foe was about 16 times larger and was ranked #1 in the ocean. I didn’t have a boat in my harbor at the time; my hands were tied.

We pleaded for a diplomatic solution, but none of my messages were answered. I didn’t receive a message from their alliance until December (you’ll see why later). We had no idea when or who would be attacked or conquered next. So this is what was done:

We allied with nearly all of the top 15 alliances in the ocean, all were larger than us at the time. We recruited heavily in Ocean 67 and 77. And we made a comprehensive strategy to monitor and counteract the enemy’s growth and expansion. We have shared support forums, educational posts, and most importantly, a dedicated group of players who made our alliance more active than any other in Ocean 67.

After a few of our allies lost numerous cities to the enemy and were unable to retaliate, I messaged a player 10 times larger than me at the time who had just managed to take an enemy city. We had many candid discussions about many options, but found that a strategic pact would be most beneficial. And we were determined to show our mettle to them.

On 11/24/10, we commenced Operation Foothold, a coordinated series of attacks on enemy strongholds in an attempt to retake what was lost. We were attacking players that were 2-3 times larger than each of us. We failed our main objectives, but gained a small city. And we got lucky. The coordinated attacks impressed a very worthy foe, who decided to join us.

Each week since, we continue to land more coordinated attacks, take a few more enemy cities and hold off their attacks. Our coalition in Ocean 67 has been instrumental in our success and many of their members have recently decided to join us. So on 12/16/10, our alliance just surpassed our enemy in the #1 spot in Ocean 67 with 400,000 points. :D

This is only Chapter 1, there is still much work to do. I hope one day to take back that city lost back in October. But I know in the pursuit of survival in Ocean 67, we have achieved much more. We have built an alliance that players truly want to join. It’s been a great war game experience for me here, more than in any other world. And I didn't have to mention a top 30 alliance to talk about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Am I just imagining things? Or are we pacted now?

Either way, you guys have grown alot from what I see. 67 Is full of lil alliances, wonder if there'll be that many once you sweep through.

DeletedUser

Am I just imagining things? Or are we pacted now?

Either way, you guys have grown alot from what I see. 67 Is full of lil alliances, wonder if there'll be that many once you sweep through.

We are pacted with DL - Crusaders II, but not DLdiciples of the blade if that's what you meant. Wow, you guys are literally on the other side of the world!

Thank you. We are pacted with most of the active smaller alliances in Ocean 67; which gives our large coalition a strong sense of family. In doing so, we have the ability to focus on the bigger threats. ;)

DeletedUser

Now we are in a conflict with LEGION II. Will see if we can live this through aswell.

Wow, your pretty far. Will be a bit before we're at your door, but give us time.. we'll get there...

P.S. -nice city names ;)

DeletedUser

I'll take that into consideration ronald.

My next one is planned bluff, but after that I was looking more into pocket card combis rather than general terminology.

On topic: Come oooon, more stories ^^

Seems like dob's are going to have a lil' fighting going on with their former enemies in the rows of Deaths Phalanx. The christmas break abrubtly halted my conquesting frenzy, figure this evening we're gonna go hot again.

DeletedUser

Awwww, BBCue is talking about me, the little engine that could. There I was minding my own business when all of the sudden, a whole wave of attackers come. Just a pawn caught up in games of state, payback for past slights.

The walls came down, along with not a few buildings, my native troops were turned into fertilizer and things were looking pretty bleak indeed. It's been an on and off thing since then. My poor little city, Salad Bar, huddled in fear. I know what you're thinking. What kind of crazy person would attack a salad bar? However, my next city, Grandma, fared no better. Imagine these poor meanies beating up on grandma. It was when they attacked my third city, Helpless Kitten, that I realized my enemies were truly evil. You can attack the salad bar, you can attack grandma but attacking a helpless kitten is definitely going too far.

With the population cap and relative efficiencies, single players are no match for a concerted effort. However, I'll keep plugging away until I eventually get dragged down or the political or strategic situation changes. Either way, it's been fun and educational for my first attempt at Grepolis.

DeletedUser

LMAO:D Great story man!

Actually egami, your alliance still outranks us overall 1.5:1, although you are far from your active members in an alliance not famous for supporting its members.

Is all of your 8,550 defensive BP as a result of our coordination? I must say I'm quite fond of the salad bar, your grandma, and that helpless kitten of yours. :p You definitely have persevered through more of our attacks than anyone.

And I must say your analysis of the single player vs. alliance is right on. For your first time, you're doing quite well being surrounded by enemies. I'm not certain why you haven't considered joining a closer alliance not involved in the conflict or with us.

DeletedUser13436

End of canes borealis alliances

I will share one.

The events mentioned took place in about two weeks time in Ocean 35
I joined this alliance IONIA which was number four in Ocean 35. They were already at war with Canes Borealis and Canes Borealis II who were the third and fifth most powerfull ocean alliances with Canes Borealis being in the top 30 world alliances and CBII in the top 50.
In a few days attacks started to fall on my only 2 cities by a player a few hundered points ahead of me acompanied by the top member of CBII who was more than twice my size and situated on my island. I was first attacked in my offencive city and had my attacking troops destroyed before I can use them still I went on to hold the city and when they hit my Defencive city they certainly did not expected to fail but they did. Certainly they had atleast one more nuke available and having just destroyed one nuke my defences were poor in addition I had to defend my troop less offencive city as well.

Now here I meet a peice of luck I got a spy within their alliance but unlike the most prefered spy he was not one of the trusted leaders but at quite a low rank in the alliance thus unable to disband them.

When the top member of CBII messaged me to leave IONIA if I wished to survive, an idea struck me. I replied to the message with details of their alliance forum illustrating the fact that I have a spy within them. The very knowledge of having a spy in their alliance disbaned their alliance which the spy could never have done! In two weeks both the alliances were dust and I went on to clear main cities of the founder and co-founder of CBII which lead the alliance to disband. And now I alone have more points than the entire CB alliance!

DeletedUser13436

Winning against a Player SIX TIMES LARGER!

A HIVE member ngapuhistrong eyed my cities. He had six times as many points and four times as many cities as me. I messaged him asking if he cant attack someone of his size and he said he is going to eat my cities. So I dodged his first wave in all my cities and he started a revolt in my largest city. When I got online and saw a few incomings in diffrent cities I went to reports saw which city can have LS and dodged the right attacks to sink a nuke and destroy a pure sharp nuke in my land defence city where I didnt had a Birime. Suddenly he found himself 2 nuke short in 24 hours and gaining hardly a thousand BP! And I gained well above 3 times the Battle points, nice culture! If he didnt belonged to THE HIVE I would have went on to attack him.

DeletedUser

Spys are great ;)

I put spy's in alliances we are at war with all the time. I never get them to disband the alliance though. I do what you do. I send them a message with proof of a spy. They then have a sort of civil war and the alliances destroys itself ;)

Quite fun to watch.