Update to Version 2.143 Discussion Thread

Baudin Toolan

Grepolis Team
On Wednesday the game will be updated to version 2.143. Feel free to post any questions or feedback in this thread. The full changelog can be found here.

DeletedUser54495

That's what I thought... have the grepo developers forgotten about hector?

DeletedUser22115

It's Hector's wife obviously. Inno are releasing a new thing about the love life of Hector and Medea, a match made in heaven

DeletedUser54495

It's Hector's wife obviously. Inno are releasing a new thing about the love life of Hector and Medea, a match made in heaven

Uh nothing more than hugging please, we would not want to scare off inno's target audience consisting of <12 year olds!!!

DeletedUser54192

Uh nothing more than hugging please, we would not want to scare off inno's target audience consisting of <12 year olds!!!
I very much hope there would be nothing more than hugging: Hector and Medea weren't a couple! It was Jason that Medea was made to fall in love with.

I know that there are probably other hero buffs that don't make much sense either (I would think that Daidalos would be more suited to a research-related buff than a satyr would, Heracles was known most for his strength, etc), but why make Medea benefit slingers? I can think of a couple of reasons why not to do so:
- Slingers already have a hero, in the form of Hector. In terms of heroes, Hector is basically equal to Themistokles, Pelops and Agamemnon in terms of effects (all benefit both attack and defence for two different land units). Given that Hector is mainly used for attack rather than defence anyways (at best he is 3rd choice for a standard DLU defence, whereas he is 1st choice for a slinger nuke), why introduce a hero that outclasses Hector at his primary role?
- Slingers are already statistically the best type of pure OLU nuke (not including myths). They have the greatest attack/population value and the greatest attack/resources value. And they have a spell specifically designed for them (Aim of the Huntress), that is both cheaper and more powerful than Heroic Power is for hoplite nukes or horseman nukes. If they are the most powerful type of OLU nuke, why make them even more powerful and thus further decrease the variety of OLU nukes used?

The only reason I can really think of for giving Medea a slinger combat buff is profit: Medea is a stupidly powerful hero, and she is going to be event-exclusive. Which means that if you want to guarantee getting her (and you are going to want Medea if you can get her) you quite possibly need to spend gold.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded if we were given a slinger-recruitment hero. It wouldn't really override any hero, and would line up with Aristotle, Daidalos, Chiron and Odysseus. Yes, it would have possibly given slingers an edge in that way, but the hero would not have overshadowed Hector in the process.

Given Medea's story, I would have thought that a spell/myth-related buff would have been most fitting. Perhaps slightly cheaper myths (not necessarily to the same degree as other recruitment heroes), or a favour production buff for the city that she is in. I just fail to see why they chose Medea for a slinger hero, or why they decided that Medea should be given a slinger-related buff (I don't know whether the character or the buff is thought of or chosen first).

DeletedUser

The devs are going to implement more than 1 hero per unit. It provides more flexibility then - you can buff certain unit type in more cities. So, they haven't forgotten on Hector.
- Slingers are already statistically the best type of pure OLU nuke (not including myths). They have the greatest attack/population value and the greatest attack/resources value. And they have a spell specifically designed for them (Aim of the Huntress), that is both cheaper and more powerful than Heroic Power is for hoplite nukes or horseman nukes. If they are the most powerful type of OLU nuke, why make them even more powerful and thus further decrease the variety of OLU nukes used?
However, I agree at this point. Medeia should benefit another unit.

DeletedUser54192

The devs are going to implement more than 1 hero per unit. It provides more flexibility then - you can buff certain unit type in more cities. So, they haven't forgotten on Hector.
True. But I feel that there may have been a more balanced way to do it. For example, Pelops and Agamemnon both boost hoplites. Personally I believe that Agamemnon is almost strictly better than Pelops (cheaper, most people have more archers than chariots especially in early game, and bonus to anti-sharp and anti-blunt defence, rather than just anti-blunt defence), but it's a pretty close run thing, and both have an equal benefit on hoplites. In comparison, Medea completely outshines Hector on slingers, which is what most players tend to use Hector for (Leonidas and Agamemnon are usually better than Hector for standard DLU defence, so he gets less use defensively). If her bonus for slingers was a bit smaller, then maybe, but I feel as if there is little reason to pick Hector over Medea except if you need an extra def hero for emergencies.

DeletedUser54495

So Medea at level 20 is a 35% boost... what were inno thinking...

DeletedUser54192

Which means that you can reliably get +50% boost on a slinger nuke before you even have to worry about tokens. Add in tokens, and it will get even more ridiculous, especially on higher speed worlds where you get more coins, so you are more likely to get the heroes to higher levels more quickly.