Update to Version 2.177 Discussion Thread

Rachel.L

Phrourach
i can think of at least 3 worlds in the last six months where an alliance was betrayed by not just a leader but a founder
so trusting the person in charge is still a big leap
players need to be able to have a say with their personal info, even if it's "just" online times

p.s. glad you are back, tony

DeletedUser36697

There are numerous ways to see if folks are active/on-line as well as their frequency.
drolez.com...gives you inactivity...have they been attacked..
Grctools...you and your opponents activity is colour coded .. and we pay to support this
Grepointel..gives you the times an opponent is on-line, inactive players

folks have been using these tools for a long time without an uproar..they are simply tools. So why the big stink now??

Is this now the flavour of the week..with so many other issues in Grepo... this seems rather minuscule

There seems to be a lot of folks who are willing to "urinate in the cornflakes" for no apparent reason or apparently without reasoning as to why they doing such an act..

In the before days ;{) a spy simply sent a mass mail to the alliance and noted when it was opened.. do this several times and the spy has a good idea of when individual's were/are on the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser55894

Not very nice since people will abuse this to learn to 10 minutes what your exact online times are. Sure, many use the app 24/7 but it's still annoying when you have to wake up 20-30 times a night. Allies change every world, let's say I play with someone on one world and the next one he is my enemy - i will know his entire "online" time.

I feel like you have to at least give the player the option to allow this or not. Besides, for immediate help you can send out mass mails and pings (many alliances have ping-lists for urgent matters).

being online in the app wouldn´t show you light green, we tested this in the gpc online via app = shown dark green so YES the abusing is surely a problem and we in GPC asked inno if they see the abusing potential and the answer was NO

so nothing more to say or not?

@iMrCornetto

your last sentence is true. very very very true

There are numerous ways to see if folks are active/on-line as well as their frequency.
drolez.com...gives you inactivity...have they been attacked..
Grctools...you and your opponents activity is colour coded .. and we pay to support this
Grepointel..gives you the times an opponent is on-line, inactive players

folks have been using these tools for a long time without an uproar..they are simply tools. So why the big stink now??

Is this now the flavour of the week..with so many other issues in Grepo... this seems rather minuscule

There seems to be a lot of folks who are willing to "urinate in the cornflakes" for no apparent reason or apparently without reasoning as to why they doing such an act..

In the before days ;{) a spy simply sent a mass mail to the alliance and noted when it was opened.. do this several times and the spy has a good idea of when individual's were/are on the game.

its a big big difference between activity from tools and that new feature.

Tools track changes in off bashies or in the points, so you can not trust them. For nexample i build 8 hours temple the tool will say i was online at the moment the temple was finished but thats not true because i can start building and than go to sleep, and the same if you online and build only troops, the tool counts you as inactive but you aren´t. AND no tool shows that within 10 minutes.

NO ONE and ich mean no one has the right to see that exactly when allymembers are online and this includes me too (and i am the founder and leader of my ally)

DeletedUser36146

My PC is logged into Grepolis 24/7 365 days a year - so I am going to be permanently light green.
Does this mean I dont leave my desk to go to work eat sleep poo etc etc- hell no
For me personally I dont see the big issue tho I also dont see that it actually improves anything
If you have external sites offering online times even if delayed then you might as well have this - personally i would get rid of them all and go back to the old days of having to work it out the hard way but players like things too easy these days.

Once again tho players comments will be ignored so it doesnt really make a jot what any of us think
I suupose we should count ourselves lucky we dont have to pay gold for it

il.brutto

Phrourach
Here we Go... Ready for the Flack.

I personally LIKE this, Nice development. I like that Founders and Leaders get to choose if the whole team get to see it or whether it is just leaders and Founders. Those that start up an Alliance have to put time and effort into managing it, and therefore have an invested interest not to spoil it.

I spend far to much time working out on and offline times. When you're in a well-bonded alliance this research time is greatly reduced as info is shared, either via the internal forums or by one of the 3rd party comms Skype, Discord, TeamSpeak, etc.
I also, over time get to know most players on and offline times via posts they make, attack reports, messages, they even tell you where in the world they are based in various forum tabs of "Welcome" and "Introduce yourself" and a ton of info.
Enemy players tell you where they are over time, either with their messages or Attack patterns or lack of attacks. Should they play coy... then an attack from me usually results in them dodging (possibly the mobile app alarm alerting them), or the attack sinks its teeth in ripping into the defence followed by more if no response, do this a few time and you'll know who is or isn't about. Privacy by this development may be compromised by spies spilling the beans. But nothing a good player probably doesn't know already.
What it does mean for players where there are no 3rd party Comms, a player can get a message out for support for incoming attacks, to active members that are about.

I think this is a great tool for the management of an alliance especially when you're out on the rim trying to get noobs and simmers to get active and join the fight so that the solid core Alliances (who usually are very active). Don't get an easy crown.

Kind Regards
illy

DeletedUser55894

My PC is logged into Grepolis 24/7 365 days a year - so I am going to be permanently light green.
Does this mean I dont leave my desk to go to work eat sleep poo etc etc- hell no
For me personally I dont see the big issue tho I also dont see that it actually improves anything
If you have external sites offering online times even if delayed then you might as well have this - personally i would get rid of them all and go back to the old days of having to work it out the hard way but players like things too easy these days.

Once again tho players comments will be ignored so it doesnt really make a jot what any of us think
I suupose we should count ourselves lucky we dont have to pay gold for it

correct, thats not an advantage its an disadvantage for me.

Player a need help, see player b is light green, sends a pm to player b. But player b isn´t online he is in his bedroom with his wife (for example^^) but grepo tab is open. So player a would get angry because why doesn´t a online player not help.

@il.brutto

ironic?

Raydium88

Strategos
As a leader I wouldn't make this visible to all players... blimey, that is just outrageous. At the same time, it shouldn't be my right to know if my players are online to a 10 minute accuracy... As if I don't stalk them people enough lol. I can almost see the flood of PMs I will get each morning on the lines of "Hey can you see if player x is online? His trip went off"... then be the dick who replies "well instead of wasting time asking me, have you tried PMing him/her, then HC/smart-trip?"...

Maybe I am just overthinking it at this point. But I can relate to the sentiment, specially from players who have no control over the teammates they get, and just have to be extra wary of whom they get on a feud with.

DeletedUser55714

I just want to add this little bit here since I see people have referenced spies and people learning online times... ->

I can track a player (or even an alliance) currently to learn their online times as an individual or a team in general. Down literally to the nearest 30 minutes - 9 years playing, you learn some neat tricks to the game as this is currently possible with the current system - IF this truly does go down. You better believe I'ma make everyone's life a living hell whose red. Just as many many other people will too.

"Oh he/she's sleeping? GOT 'EM!"
"Offline for 5 hours!? GOT 'EM!!"

Sure I'd rake in some beautiful BP. But also think about this from a vet AND a noobie standpoint...

Vet side - " dude I have a life, you should get one too". And then a bunch of verbal fighting is exchanged and guess what, more vets leave (we already had a mass exodus recently). Now there's less experienced people to train the new players..

Noob side- "Dude wth I LITERALLY just started this game today! Get a life man"!! More verbal fights. And guess what..? Noobie doesn't come back and ghosts out (or city is taken later because they went IA).

Both versions end with more reportings, and probably more bans, and appeals and etc. Which means MORE WORK for you guys (MODs).

If you didn't have to deal with other people and politics at all, I'd be all for it. Because who doesn't like free and easy BP because offline people don't dodge!?!!

BUT, since we DO deal with people and politics. I say this is a VERY poor move - both in short and long term runs.

Zarun-

Strategos
And where is the opt out for players from this invasion of their privacy?
Thanks for the laugh.

As someone who's helped lead alliances and OPs I think this is an useful tool, but should be visible to founders only.

Curious about the changes lately, might check out a high speed revolt world sometime.

DeletedUser55714

Hey everyone. So I have a HUGE issue with this now that it's implemented...

I currently have ONLY MM rights. And yet I can see EVERYONE'S online times. So now, if I wanted to be a spy, I can simply just pay attention to this bar crap every hour and tell every enemy everyone's online and offline times. And it'd only take ONE full day to learn this all.

This is BEYOND horrible...

ONLY someone with FOUNDERS rights should be able to see this information. Not the entire alliance!! :mad:

EDIT: I have been shown that my concerns are because a leader currently hasn't changed the settings. Something I overlooked. SO, I'm back on board with this again :)

Please disregard this message :)