Newspaper Upsilon After Action Report (AAR)

Thrillology

Phrourach
Here begins the Upsilon After Action Report! This report starts from the first days of the United City-States. Why UCS? They're the only alliance who still has its original founder and never changed its name since it was founded, and that's also where my story begins.

Table of Contents:
Post 1 (current post)- The After Action Report
Post 2 (one down)- Pictures
Post 3 (two down)- Chapter Commentary

Intro + Chapter 1: A New Game, o37 A Game of Diplomacy
I first started Grepolis on the first week of July in 2011. On that day, I founded an alliance called the "United City-States". Why be called the United City-States? Because I decided to stick with the theme of the game at that time. While UCS was just starting, in the core oceans the war is settling down. The biggest powers are Shadow Guards and the Drunken Pacifists, both alliances fighting. Shadow Guards were always there and grew big enough to be perceived as a threat and were attacked by two alliances, Drunken Rodents (I think) and Pacifists, in which both alliances merged to form the Drunken Pacifists in order to thwart the efforts of the Shadow Guards, and failed.

After that, the Shadow Guards moved beyond the core oceans and attacked Bravehertz (or was it Braveheartz? I never remembered if they forgot or intentionally left our the "a") and other alliances. At that time, I was working diplomacy with other alliances in o37 and around that area to keep UCS alive to last the long, and hard, test of time. The only reason why I know about Brave's fate was because I asked for protection from them, and their leader decided to offer protection when they moved to o37, which never happened since SG cut them off.

Meanwhile, in o37...
There are there powers in this ocean, Barbarians (lead by Bracknar and OGCopperpot), SPQR (lead by someone, all I remember was that he was... stupid) and UCS (lead by Thrillology). While the Barbarians and SPQR battled, UCS attempted to work with SPQR, in which their leader gave away all of the confidential information then came back begging for protection. Soon in that time, SPQR knew their fate and merged into the United City-States, and fighting with the Barbarians ceased for those players. Were they really refugees? At that point, I wouldn't consider them as refugees since they weren't under attack when they joined and the battle was already cooling down.

UCS had its first merger, SPQR into UCS. Did that affect UCS that much? No, and I don't think there's any SPQR members left in UCS currently. This concludes chapter 1: The Beginning and o37 conflict.

(editing, chapter 2 will be under here, I'm still looking for old maps and other pictures) :pro:

Chapter 2: Enclave Expansions and Betrayal
For quite a while after o37, UCS had very little to do. New pacts were made (such as Agora, Alpha Omega, Ascension), however, there was a shared forum where players were discussing a merger. UCS did not take any part in the merger, nor merge into any other alliances. Meanwhile, up north there was an alliance interested in merging into UCS, despite UCS not having many players up there. So, UCS' largest merger occurred and UCS was at its height. With the sudden burst in UCS' growth, an alliance known as The Flying Badgers decided we were a threat and attacked. Most of the players in those northern oceans/UCS North were new to the game and were still learning and growing, so they were mostly 1k-1.5k point players. We looked to Ascension for assistance, but after The Flying Badgers contacted them first, Ascension wouldn't believe anything that came from any other alliance besides TFB, so there began the downfall of UCS North, taking hits from The Flying Badgers, Ascension, and Shadow Guards, though mostly The Flying Badgers. Soon nothing was left, any players that left and went to Ascension eventually were conquered by the Shadow Guards overrunning them.

Meanwhile, in o37 and in that part of the World, there were a few merges going on. One merge was to form the Psychomantic Atticanese (I don't remember the first half of the name, but their profile was a picture of Napoleon Bonaparte with a crazy expression) and IMPERIUM. Neither of those alliances lasted. Soon, Agora attacked UCS. UCS crumbled, being attacked heavily by Agora and some of their allies. There was no choice but to have a NAP with Shadow Guards' o37 squad to stop their random attacks.

UCS then goes through a hard time, World Trade Federation joins then "secedes" from UCS. Then it's quiet, players are demoralized, and it will be this quiet for a very long time.

Last edited:

Thrillology

Phrourach
UCS Upsilon Archive folder (one of the folders I managed to put a lot of pictures in). Mostly random stuff I'll do some more sorting later, see which ones might have some relevance and which ones should definitely go. (D) There's 54 attachments... er supposed to be, only ten per post? Looks like I'll have a total of maybe 30 attachments, each on my first three threads.

Miscellaneous:
Upsilon TSC and ST and Agora edited.jpg
The Terror in the West faces a new Terror in the East, Shadow Terror and The Stonecutters have been fighting for some time. Eventually, Greek Terror will leave Shadow Terror and Shadow Terror will become "Shadow Guards" again.

last ucs upsilon profile pic.jpg
Last profile picture of the United City-States, before we changed our profile picture to a painting of Captain "Calico" Jack.

defenderrankingdropped4-23-2013.jpg
My current defender ranking, which dropped by one from 24 to 25.

defenderoftheday4-23-2013update.JPG
Defender of the Day. PS: Big thanks to a couple of players who will not be named, for the game continues.

ucs4ever.JPG
United City-States: Oldest rim alliance, oldest alliance to not change its name, oldest alliance to still have its original founder. Go UCS! :D

Last edited:

Thrillology

Phrourach
Chapter 1: Commentary
Well, the first days of Grepolis were fun! Exploring a new game is definitely something I enjoy doing, but am very limited to. During my first days of Grepolis, I had an "infinite" amount of free time, which I mostly spent walking my *former* dogs, making a mod for Medieval II: Total War, and my favorite, Grepolis.

I was anxious and wanting to get started with the game ASAP, so I founded an alliance... with no experience with alliances in Grepolis, and only having minimum experiences with gaming clans in the past.

DIPLOMACY. The key to survival for a small alliance. How I knew about the core oceans and their struggles? Well, I knew that they would eventually influence my rim alliance and it wouldn't be long until the victor arises from the core oceans and becomes the largest alliance in the world, for a long time. The core oceans have ruined o37, it went from small alliances in competition to big alliances clashing in yet another ocean.

(still writing Chapter 1)

Last edited: