Upsilon not dead ... But the forum needs work!

DeletedUser

Sometime ago I predicted that Upsilon was a world in it's death throws. I'm willing to admit that was slightly wide of the mark, although I still think there is some validity in the call. However one thing is clear, and that is this forum and a lot of the others are dead. the only posts in the last 7 days have been for the cretinous counting up / down to a thousand. If that is the most interesting idea people can come up with it's time to call it a day.

DeletedUser

Hardly.

I'm moving this to discussion so we can go through it properly.

The activity on the forum relies on those who play the world and post in the forum. Now it's not like the rules are hard to follow, so strictly speaking there's no excuse for inactivity on the forum but that which Upsilon players come up with.

However,

I have been putting a lot of work into trying to sort out something that's not been done on the forums before - a tournament. And i'm bringing it to Upsilon first.
Gonna have to have a bit of co-operation from you guys to bring people from your alliances to the forum!

As always i'm open to discussing ideas to perk up the forum - you guys just have to talk to me about it, either through mail or through discussion on the forum.

DeletedUser18636

There is no time for external forum if it adds no value. We do all our talks and discussion with other alliances inside the game =)
Most of people who post here are not from the core or anywhere close. I have 0 interaction with them in the game and that's why it makes no sense to go into any discussions))).

Forum is dead world not.

Constant wars between major alliances. =)

DeletedUser18132

I thoughtmaybe most ABP/Points in a week, but people could very easily cheat on that.

DeletedUser

Oh no, i have something much simpler than that :)

What i want to know is, will you guys get your alliance mates on here? Will you make it worth me finding prizes for you guys?

DeletedUser

If that's the case then i think i will bring you guys some fun :)

Need more than one alliance on here though. I'll make a sign up sheet this afternoon and fill you in.

DeletedUser

Hardly.

The activity on the forum relies on those who play the world and post in the forum. Now it's not like the rules are hard to follow, so strictly speaking there's no excuse for inactivity on the forum but that which Upsilon players come up with.

However,

I have been putting a lot of work into trying to sort out something that's not been done on the forums before - a tournament. And i'm bringing it to Upsilon first.
Gonna have to have a bit of co-operation from you guys to bring people from your alliances to the forum!

As always i'm open to discussing ideas to perk up the forum - you guys just have to talk to me about it, either through mail or through discussion on the forum.

Well the tournament did not work and if the rules are so easy to follow why is no one posting? There is another website (x chat) that has almost 200 players from Upsilon and that is only the ones I could find when I looked, could be more. Here is an idea let people post what they want and maybe they will start posting, better then telling them what they can't post. Clearly the 5 people who use this forum are happy with the way things are and if that is what you want great. But when there are 4800 players on this world and only the 5 of you are here posting I think blaming the problem on the other 4795 is a little crazy. Insanity is repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result. So you tried the tournament and limiting where and what people can post. That has not worked, so how about doing something different?

DeletedUser18132

Fine. You come up with something fun, nice, and attractive so that the other 4795 people will be attracted to.

DeletedUser

Nerf Hearder, perhaps you could read the post you have quoted? I think that would probably give you more to work from than just complaining about moderation/forum.

DeletedUser

"As always i'm open to discussing ideas to perk up the forum - you guys just have to talk to me about it, either through mail or through discussion on the forum."

Look I can say that I love noobs who build one of every unit in there city, I can say they are good players. But everyone will know that I am being politically correct, as you are in your posting. You don't want change or you would have done it. Open up a thread for players to talk about whatever they want, whenever they want. Of course if some guy starts cursing you have to step in, but the leave the section open for new ideas. Nothing worse then a good post followed by "this is off topic", Everything Goes thread how bout we start there?

DeletedUser18132

"As always i'm open to discussing ideas to perk up the forum - you guys just have to talk to me about it, either through mail or through discussion on the forum."

Look I can say that I love noobs who build one of every unit in there city, I can say they are good players. But everyone will know that I am being politically correct, as you are in your posting. You don't want change or you would have done it. Open up a thread for players to talk about whatever they want, whenever they want. Of course if some guy starts cursing you have to step in, but the leave the section open for new ideas. Nothing worse then a good post followed by "this is off topic", Everything Goes thread how bout we start there?

You can make a thread too. It's not restricted, of course.

DeletedUser

I get that Shark, but I am asking the Mod to do it. Cause I don't want to start it and guys come here to start talking then it's shut down cause it was not approved. I have already talked with many players who don't want to come back cause the feel they will be shut down as soon as the talk gets interesting. So if perking up the forum is really what you want, give the people one thread that they know will not be locked or deleted to just ramble about whatever. Call it Sapphire's Choice if you want, I don't care just open it.

DeletedUser

I've replied to you in the mail you sent me but for the benefit of other 'newer' members, we have the off topic forum for such threads. I am more than willing to set up threads for you guys but i need your input. I've suggested threads before - just need to have a response from YOU. Because i can open threads and discussions all day but they don't fix activity if there's no one but me on them.

DeletedUser

Sapphire has a great point, it's not her job to make these forums active. It's her job to moderate the forums, but it's our job to keep them active. The player's job. I've played on several worlds, and the forums were some of the best parts of every world. Reading the PNPs going back and forth between the Deli and BS on kappa, the big talk about who was better, Nemesis or PV on Xi. Those were so much fun to read, and to watch the discussion circulating around them. But it was even funner to participate in that discussion, to say my own thoughts and argue, or to augment someone else's point. It was one of the best parts of my day, a lot funner then painstakingly co-ordinating that op to try to take out an opposing alliance's leader.

When you have an active forum, a little community builds of those that use the forum (Upsilon's in this case). They'll laugh with each other, argue about whether their alliance is better, and who's going to win what war. It's so much fun. And they learn to respect each other, and even though they're enemies and trying to kill each other in game, they're friends.

An active forum is one of the best parts of this game (In my opinion), but the players have to make it active. Sapphire can't make it active, she can't force people to log on and post. You guys have to make it active, you guys make the forum run.

Side note: I play upsilon myself, I'm out in the rim, joined ~a week ago. I know absolutely nothing about the politics, and therefore can't do any of this myself. I figured I could learn about all the politics by watching the forum though, watching the debates happen, and reading the PNPs. Except then I logged on and saw absolutely nothing recent on the forum. The worlds with active forums and often the best, and funnest, worlds. The two don't always go hand in hand, but a lot of the time they do.

So log onto the forum and debate, make it active. It's your job, your responsibility to make it happen.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Interesting. Just drifting by for my once a month check on this forum. I see we have now reached double figures for posts on what I thought would be a provocative topic, only took 5 months.

And that rather proves the point. The forum is dead, although I must say the 13th Legion v Shadow Guards in making the world slightly more interesting.

TTFN.

Parsque

Last edited by a moderator: