Discussion Veterans...

DeletedUser340

I started on Alpha a few hours after the beginning from what I can remember- came over with a lot of people from TW.

Didn't have any sort of success until I joined Gamma,however.

DeletedUser

Um, I think a veteran is some one that has played the game before and has had expirence playing the game. Please excuse me of my spelling.:D

DeletedUser

Ok maybe a bit late joining in but begger it :p

Imho playing a 1st gen server doesn't make you a vet, the game has evolved since then and if you've only ever played 1st gen it would take you a while to get used to whatever we are on now.

A veteran player is someone who has experience on the game and has succeeded in and surpassed what the vast majority of players have not (within reason, surpassing others at being a noob doesn't make you a vet ;) ). For example (like Nod said) being a veteran fighter, leader and/or diplomat.
A vet is also quite well known for what they have achieved in their time here on grepo.

I started around a week after Athens started and thus made that my first server (yes I'm not a 1st gen :rolleyes: ) however I did try a first gen world at some point :p can't remember which one, just remember I was somewhere far out in O96 (or something like that) with players with hundreds of thousands of points next to me :eek:

Summary:
Well known for achievements
1st gen doesn't necessarily mean vet
I'm not first gen

Thats all :D

Edit: For Sainted Below :p will talk to you on your wall :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser22940

Agreed Melik
Long time no speak by the way.....how you been?

I started on Upsilon, then Delphi. I have never played a 1st gen world, yet have experienced many, many, things here on Grepolis. I, personally consider myself a vet based on those experiences. I have led alliances, founded alliances (both successful and not successful), been rimmed, rimmed people, setup and ran OPS, been Opp'ed, written PnP's, been a victim of PnP's, etc....

I know plenty of people who have been playing longer than I have and still have yet to grasp basic concepts such as timing attacks, sniping, etc....

It's not how long you've been here....It's what you've accomplished during your stay.

DeletedUser

To me, a veteran of grepolis is someone who has been battle tested, and knows how to play the game. If you ask them a question about game mechanics or strategy, they can come up with a decent answer. It's not a function of time, its a function of game knowledge, of not being clueless. For instance I know some people I would have considered vets after their first week out of BP.

A first gen player is just an old timer. Whether they are a vet or not is an entirely different question.

DeletedUser

Who are you calling an old timer, cheeky bugger :). I played in Beta and Delta then left the game to join up again a year later in Nicea. In that relativity short time so many things had changed and I had forgotten so much that I felt like a noob again. Nice feeling for a bit. So yes being an ex 1st gen players doesn't make you a vet.

DeletedUser

To me, a veteran of grepolis is someone who has been battle tested, and knows how to play the game. If you ask them a question about game mechanics or strategy, they can come up with a decent answer. It's not a function of time, its a function of game knowledge, of not being clueless. For instance I know some people I would have considered vets after their first week out of BP.

A first gen player is just an old timer. Whether they are a vet or not is an entirely different question.

Well i'm certainly not a vet by these standards :D

DeletedUser2795

Well i'm certainly not a vet by these standards :D

Me too. So do I count as a vet, because I first played on Beta in Jan 2010 - and got rimmed while still on my first city. I then played Gamma, but quit after around 4 cities due to time issues. I have played on and off since then, never even breaking 10 cities :p. But then again, I might actually have accumulated a reasonable amount of knowledge since then :D.

DeletedUser38224

On TW, Veteran could be a range of things. If you've been playing for a few years and just won your first world, you're considered a veteran. If you've been playing world 1 since it came out, and you have 100 million points there, you're considered a veteran. If you've reached 10 million points on 20 worlds, you've earned yourself the title of veteran.

That's pretty much my opinion, bacically if you've done well. It's a fairly loose term.

Last edited by a moderator:

JungleBear

Phrourach
i was beta born and bred :) lots of friends left at 2.0 :( Things alot different now....do miss the old days of 80,000 player worlds..... worlds so small now and so many of them :( and world wonders good idea but whats after that...JUst done my first ww stage and found out its not actually over but it is .... a little confused hmmmmm

Game should end after 7 built imo.

DeletedUser

I have to agree with you on that. I miss large worlds and even more so I miss the fact that gold had much less of an effect on overall gameplay. Of course the overall game itself has improved greatly, can't be missing old times, only remember and learn from them.

Sadly not too many people are left anymore who were still around during first gen. worlds. This games takes too big of a toll on most everyone to stay active at a high level for long.