Discussion Walls in Offensive city: counterproductive?

DeletedUser

So recently I've come back to playing Grepolis for the first time after the 2.0 update. A lot has changed, but the core aspect of the game, the thing that makes Grepolis GREAT has stayed the same: merciless players who delight in killing those unfortunate or inexperienced enough to challenge them.

Now, I'd like to think I'm no longer one of the inexperienced and I'd hope I'm not unfortunate - but when the inevitable happens and the angry Grepolians come for me I'd like to be prepared for the best possible defense against them. Which is why I am seriously considering not building a wall.

In all of my past worlds all my cities have had maxed out walls regardless of specialization in order to be able to strengthen the support that I send. That was until I decided to have a read up on Grepolis 2.0, and then I got reading some guides and one thing led to another and I spent a whole day scouring the interweb for anything and everything that relates to Grepolis.

But one thing I saw suprised me significantly, and it kept popping up in different guides:
You shouldn't build up your wall in offensive cites

This seems counter-intuitive to me, however the logic behind it is that with no wall an offensive snipe will do a ton of damage to an enemy CS, and so building walls will mean offensive snipes will be harder and the city will have to rely on other cities to survive.

I would be greatly interested and apreciative of the opinions of anyone who would like to tell me how stupid I am for asking this question or how much of an idiot I am for not doing this sooner.

PS.
Sorry for the long post, but I'm a type-o-holic.:cool:

DeletedUser

That tactic only works on conquest worlds, and only works for active players. If you meet the criteria then yes definitely, this is the way to go

edit:
An example of how having no wall can be devestating:

a9fe043642.jpg

DeletedUser

That tactic only works on conquest worlds, and only works for active players. If you meet the criteria then yes definitely, this is the way to go

edit:
An example of how having no wall can be devestating:

a9fe043642.jpg

I am playing on conquest, and I'm fairly active. But I WANT GRIFFS :eek:!!

I bet that guy wasn't happy :D

DeletedUser31385

You need a wall no matter what. It prevents huge losses on your defense. I have been studying offensive types. All regular offensive units do about the same damage. You need a balanced defense to help prevent losses.

DeletedUser52860

in faster conquest worlds the goal for successful sieges is short range CS attacks which makes defensive snipes much harder to pull off, Having a wall is only any use if you can get significant defense behind it. Couple that with the prevelance of flying, hard hitting myth attacks for back snipe the only way to guarantee keeping your city safe is to be super active, keep a couple of myth nukes charged up and knock down your walls.

Turtles are much less common these days as if you have 20+ cities you should always have enough OLU/Lightships to clear most turtles and have them under siege before they log back on

DeletedUser

You need a wall no matter what. It prevents huge losses on your defense. I have been studying offensive types. All regular offensive units do about the same damage. You need a balanced defense to help prevent losses.

I know this thread is old but I thought whats the harm in posting. What fig has said about the over here is only true for revolt. In revolt I think every city should have a max wall. However in conquest every city apart from a full dlu city should have no wall. People can argue that there is no real need for a wall in dlu cities as well. Simply cause nobody snipes with dlu (cause walls are low), so the dlu is just used to support sieges. And stacking a city with dlu isn't as common in conquest.

Everything that the guy above me has said is right.

Back in the good old days before events came along every month people used to use ls to break sieges, thats why old grepo said to make high walls. However nowadays cause of the events manticores and harpies are the most common siege breakers, which is why walls are made to be low so that they can kill the cs easily.

DeletedUser40768

I will say yes to a max wall in a conquest world if:

1)It's on a red island or anywhere in the enemy's core.
2) LTS is stationed there.
3)The player is active and uses the attack alarm.
4) The player has (or builds) a strong enough native DLU frontsnipe, or LS backsnipe.
5)They can keep the wall up, as people will eventually start EQ'ing it and launching cats at it.

Wouldn't make much sense to jump on an enemy island, have no wall, and hope they never catch your offense in the city. Even with the no wall they would have the upper hand as their support TTs would be way better than your other flier nukes. I think it's fine to have the wall built up in frontline cities. Just as long as you know that no one will send myth backsnipes if you need them lol But no core city would ever need a wall.

DeletedUser

4) The player has (or builds) a strong enough native DLU frontsnipe, or LS backsnipe.
5)They can keep the wall up, as people will eventually start EQ'ing it and launching cats at it.

Wouldn't make much sense to jump on an enemy island, have no wall, and hope they never catch your offense in the city. Even with the no wall they would have the upper hand as their support TTs would be way better than your other flier nukes. I think it's fine to have the wall built up in frontline cities. Just as long as you know that no one will send myth backsnipes if you need them lol But no core city would ever need a wall.

Forgot about this situation ;).

Completely right.

DeletedUser30931

I came here to say what he said perfectly. I call this outpost city not frontline though