Warning Labels: Have they gone too far?

DeletedUser6156

Have we, as a society, gone to far on the warning labels now contained on products.
Messages like "Keep out of reach of Children" on bleach and perhaps more worryingly "May contain nuts" on a packet of nuts show just how low people consider average intelligence to be.
Has it gone too far? Can we justify not having these warnings as common sense or do we have to be accepting of all levels of intelligence.

News article - Nuts may contain nuts. :O

DeletedUser3613

best warning ever is on lucazade !! will not replace the fluids lost to diarhea !!

Cheers glaxo smith klien !!

DeletedUser6156

Just a heads up I'm not looking for more examples. :p
Was kind of hoping for a debate on whether they are necessary :D
Foolish of me to hope for a debate in DnD but hey dare to dream.

DeletedUser27700

People should have the common sense to know that a bag of nuts "may contain nuts."
Keeping things that are dangerous away from children should also be common knowledge.
Problem is, as soon as these labels get removed, the first person to get hurt by them will claim ignorance and sue the company that sold them.

To me, people should be able to take responsibilities for their screw ups. If you are allergic to nuts, and then eat nuts, its YOUR fault.
The labels should be be necessary.

DeletedUser39847

Have we, as a society, gone to far on the warning labels now contained on products.
Messages like "Keep out of reach of Children" on bleach and perhaps more worryingly "May contain nuts" on a packet of nuts show just how low people consider average intelligence to be.
Has it gone too far? Can we justify not having these warnings as common sense or do we have to be accepting of all levels of intelligence.

News article - Nuts may contain nuts. :O

Good points raised....

Well here goes my rant :D:D

Personally i think there are too many constraints on society and the more that are put in place the more intense a "revolt" or someones actions that are "standing up against the system's" actions become and it all escalates like stairs...the more restraints the more revolt's against them. It may sound silly but growing up seeing "do this" don't do that" can contribute to rebellious thinking and it is a vicious cycle...like i always walk on the grass when a sign says don't or i always touch things i shouldn't in a shop like crystal glasses etc :D:D

it's natural to be rebellious these days as we as a people feel we are being strangled by constraints and rules...but in a way i suppose we are...we are our own enemies. The biggest being "don't push the red button" or "don't touch"

However a bag of nuts saying it contains nuts is a requirement for health reasons....very dumbed sown as it may seem but i don't doubt that some people wouldn't realize they do contain nuts :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6156

So has this been caused by an actual fear for health or more of as a response to the world we live in where anyone can sue anyone.

DeletedUser39847

So has this been caused by an actual fear for health or more of as a response to the world we live in where anyone can sue anyone.

definitely caused by the legal side of things....The world is run by business which is run by money which no one wants to have less of only more of it. So they cover their behinds where they can.

DeletedUser

More to reduce people trying to sue them. They don't want to lose monies they want to make monies

DeletedUser

I think we should let natural selection takes it course here... If someone who buys a cup of coffee needs the warning- 'Contents may be hot', they should probably be allowed to drink it, burn their tongue and hopefully learn a lesson.

Or in the case of bleach, the 'Do not drink' should be removed. Anyone who is stupid enough to drink would be removed from the gene pool and is that really such a bad thing?

DeletedUser

I think we should let natural selection takes it course here... If someone who buys a cup of coffee needs the warning- 'Contents may be hot', they should probably be allowed to drink it, burn their tongue and hopefully learn a lesson.

Or in the case of bleach, the 'Do not drink' should be removed. Anyone who is stupid enough to drink would be removed from the gene pool and is that really such a bad thing?

Haha me leiks dis :D

DeletedUser

The reasons companies lists all these warning labels is because it is either required by law or companies do not want to be sued for not putting warnings. On the bottom of a box of tiramisu, it says "Do not turn over". The only reason they put that there is because they could get sued. Sense it is on the bottom, they make some people flip it and make the, buy again.

DeletedUser

The reasons companies lists all these warning labels is because it is either required by law or companies do not want to be sued for not putting warnings. On the bottom of a box of tiramisu, it says "Do not turn over". The only reason they put that there is because they could get sued. Sense it is on the bottom, they make some people flip it and make the, buy again.

Omg that's genius:p

DeletedUser

I'm not saying stupid but def hard headed. I can picture a swede saying, "this kill switch is in the wrong place! Stupid manufacturers.... Arggghh!"

Only the swedes could build something like a water cooled alternator for a car. Saab look it up lol.